PDA

View Full Version : Ryanair last night.

Macka
14-02-2006, 11:55
Did anyone see the the Dispatches programme about RYANAIR. last night> Shocking!![:O][:O]

Filthy planes, staff who don't care, staff who do care but are not allowed to, security breaches, safety breaches, giving flight crew the answers to their exams and some have never been on an aircraft or even a simulator until thier first flight on the job. Some were not able to open the doors in an emergency. (they pay for their own uniforms and flight training)

I'd have taken a cheap flight but not anymore, it seems apparent that the corners the budget carriers have to cut are proving dangerous in this case at least.

they turn their flights around in 25 minutes.[:O]

LiesaAnna
14-02-2006, 12:09
is this the one something caught napping?????

meant to watch that last night but forgot!!

dawn
14-02-2006, 12:13
It was actually Ryanair Macka - shocking indeed!

LiesaAnna
14-02-2006, 12:17
thats the one, didnt think easyjet sounded like the one i was thinking of!!

solanasunshine
14-02-2006, 12:23
Yes definitely Ryanair - wouldn't go anywhere with them if they paid me![xx(]

trevlad
14-02-2006, 12:25
am flying with both in may....[msncry]

LiesaAnna
14-02-2006, 12:47
you'll be fine, if anything i wouldve thought they wouldve polished up their act????

normajohnp
14-02-2006, 13:21
Liesa`s right Trev, they will have to really get there act together or people will not use them no matter how cheap they make there flights.Sometimes ignorance IS bliss.

Norma.

Macka
14-02-2006, 13:28
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by dawn
It was actually Ryanair Macka - shocking indeed!
[/quote]

Thanks Dawn,

Humblest apologies to Easyjet and Mr. Stefanopoulopoudopouchopslobadoylies.[msnembarrased]

Of Course, Ryannair.

14-02-2006, 13:41
Yes I watched it Paul, I was absolutely appalled[V][V][V]

I just hope for the sake of passengers crew and pilots that after this programme they will get their act together.

Would I fly with them - NO!!!![msnmad][msnmad][msnmad][msnmad]

pieman790
14-02-2006, 14:49
Dont these airlines get inspected by some sort of body.
Airlines have strict rules to follow so how can Ryanair manage to get around them?

Macka
14-02-2006, 15:10
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by pieman790
Dont these airlines get inspected by some sort of body.
Airlines have strict rules to follow so how can Ryanair manage to get around them?
[/quote]

There are lots of bodies, all loooking after different things. One last night said that While Ryanair are not doing anything Illegal (I beg to differ on the evidence) they are always pushing to the edge of legallity and the constantly have to keep pushing them to conform.

They clearly flew with a door slide marker in the red and failed to have it fixed before the flight. Perhaps Julie might tell us what that is?

RIS
14-02-2006, 15:48
The indicator shows the pressure of the charge used to inflate the emergency slide if required. However to be fair the film was inconclusive to me as I couldn’t actually see the needle on the gauge. As with all these things the film was showing the worst they could find the 3 months of filming and was trying to make for exciting TV. Macka fortunately it wasn’t the “flight crew” that was being given the answers, it was cabin crew. Overall I found the program disappointing rather than particularly scary. Bad service and dangerous are two different things!

lgordon6041
14-02-2006, 16:13
I think, within reason, that you could spend 3 months with a number of airlines and find bits of film that you could collate into a film to highlight similar points to the Ryanair story.
As Roger says, they are very clever at making exciting TV. It still doesn't excuse what was shown but I tend not to be taken in by everything that these programs show.
I have flown with the airline a number of times and never had a problem. Maybe Im just lucky! As with every good story there is a instance of a bad experience like any other airline.

orlandodaze
14-02-2006, 16:13
Our family use them on a regular basis as my daughter is at college in Aberdeen and Ryanair are the only direct flight between Dublin and Aberdeen . Sometimes we are lucky enough to get cheap flights but never free flights and they make sure they add every possible charge on to your ticket , for example when my husband , myself and 10 year old daughter travel over next week we will have each paid 5 euroes (fifteen euroes in total) booking fee, and Oh yes all kids over two years old are considered adults . I would be most concerned with the safety issues , does it take a serious plane crash before anything is done about this situation.

Macka
14-02-2006, 16:24
Well I'm a little heartened that it didn't concern you Roger, I don't expect good service but I expect safety. Their security looks poor and approach to safety seems cursory.

What was more worrying for me, was Ryanairs response which did nothing to allay any fears that travellers may harbour as a result of the programme.

I woudn't use any budget airline now after this programme, I don't fancy sitting in vomit.[xx(]

becbecs
14-02-2006, 16:29
Missed it "Dam"

Really wanted to watch this program.

LiesaAnna
14-02-2006, 17:04
me too Fraser am sure it will be repeated!

Paula D-S
14-02-2006, 17:57
I didn't watch this and I'm glad I didn't. I am flying to Dublin in June with Ryanair to see Robbie personally, I would swim across the Irish Sea to get there.[msnembarrased]

eagleydo
14-02-2006, 19:27
I'm flying to Dublin next month with Ryanair and I am quite happy I missed seeing this, too late to change airlines.

Robert5988
14-02-2006, 19:37
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:I think, within reason, that you could spend 3 months with a number of airlines and find bits of film that you could collate into a film to highlight similar points to the Ryanair story.
As Roger says, they are very clever at making exciting TV. It still doesn't excuse what was shown but I tend not to be taken in by everything that these programs show.
[/quote]

I have only flown once with Ryanair to Rome and didn’t much enjoy the experience, and doubt I will fly with them again. Also what I have read from other sources the company boss Michael O’Leary hardly encourages employee loyalty.

However I totally agree with the posts of ‘RIS’ & ‘lgordon6041’above about the programme. I really do detest this type of so called investigative journalism practised by Channel 4 Dispatches. It is in the great tabloid tradition personified by the latest News of The World’s disgraceful article on misconduct by British Troops in Basra.

It is a great pity that opinions of the masses are formed by these type of programmes and articles. They really should concentrate on the great love affair between Chantelle and Preston and other subjects of that importance!

My main objection is the complete lack of balance and the refusal to allow any response from the company unless they(Channel 4) can edit that response.

Those who want to read the other side of the argument may care to read:

http://www.ryanair.com/site/EN/inpage.php?partner=DISPATCHES

14-02-2006, 20:19
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Macka
Well I'm a little heartened that it didn't concern you Roger, I don't expect good service but I expect safety. Their security looks poor and approach to safety seems cursory.

What was more worrying for me, was Ryanairs response which did nothing to allay any fears that travellers may harbour as a result of the programme.

I woudn't use any budget airline now after this programme, I don't fancy sitting in vomit.[xx(]
[/quote]

I agree totally Paul!

Katys Grandad
14-02-2006, 20:22
I didn't see the programme but I'd be sure not to miss O'Leary's response. He's upset so many media people over the years that I'm not surprised this type of programme has been made.

He is absolutely compelling viewing although I wouldn't like to work for him.

Macka
14-02-2006, 20:29
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by RIS
The indicator shows the pressure of the charge used to inflate the emergency slide if required. However to be fair the film was inconclusive to me as I couldn’t actually see the needle on the gauge. As with all these things the film was showing the worst they could find the 3 months of filming and was trying to make for exciting TV. Macka fortunately it wasn’t the “flight crew” that was being given the answers, it was cabin crew. Overall I found the program disappointing rather than particularly scary. Bad service and dangerous are two different things!
[/quote]

Roger (RIS) Just reread your post, Yes understood, I take your point about Cabin/flight crew.

Robert5988
14-02-2006, 21:05
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:What was more worrying for me, was Ryanairs response which did nothing to allay any fears that travellers may harbour as a result of the programme.
[/quote]

Macka,
Did you read the reason why Ryanair refused to respond on the programme.

Whatever the faults of Ryanair you cannot blame them for refusing Channel 4 the right to edit their(Ryanair) response.

As Katys Grandad said O'Leary has upset just about everyone, especially the media, and it is clearly 'payback time' I read some of his gems in another forum.

On the 9% cut that travel agents used to take:
Quote:
"**** the travel agent,"..."Take the ******* out and shoot them. What have they done for passengers over the years?"

On Ryanair's strict no-refund policy:
Quote:
"We don't fall all over ourselves if they... say my granny fell ill. What part of no refund don't you understand? You are not getting a refund so **** off."
On Jurgen Weber, Lufthansa CEO:

Quote:
"Weber says Germans don't like low fares. How the **** does he know? He's never offered them any. The Germans will crawl b*ll*ck-naked over broken glass to get them."

On competition between BA and Ryanair:

Quote:
"There is too much: 'we really admire our competitors'. All b****cks. Everyone wants to kick the **** out of everyone else. We want to beat the **** out of BA. They mean to kick the **** out of us."
...and of course on himself:

Quote:
"I see myself as a jumped-up Paddy running a good airline that gives great fares and ***** British Airways."

14-02-2006, 22:19
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Macka
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by RIS
[/quote]

Roger (RIS) Just reread your post, Yes understood, I take your point about Cabin/flight crew.

[/quote]

So in an emergency who evacuates the passengers - the cabin crew, so in my view they should not have been given the answers[msnmad]

I actually found the programme very sad, cabin crew having to pay over £1000 for their training, having to pay monthly to wear the Ryanair uniform, as for the salary it was appalling, no cleaners in between flights even if there is vomit on the floor, 25 minute turnrounds where the cabin crew have to clear the rubbish and do the security checks etc - very sad! To top it all when passengers were delayed over 3 hours the captain sat in the flight deck and made no effort to arrange for any soft drinks to be given to passengers who were stuck on an aircraft with no access to buy their own refreshments, blaming customs, well I'm sorry but customs don't have to open a box of cokes or orange juices - very sad!

chrisflowers
14-02-2006, 22:59
What a programme!
Makes you wonder about BMI baby as well, as we have had horrendous problems with them cancelling flights and no explanations or warnings. Liz took 10 hours to get back from Edinburgh to Cardiff on Sunday, due to them cancelling a flight at the last moment, and not having any spare aircraft to pick up the route. Bussed to Glasgow Prestwick and waited 6 hours even then for a flight home in the early hours of the morning!!

Do you think companies like TCD etc flying into Sanford have similar problems?