PDA

View Full Version : Fire Truck - Highway rules

Eden
14-02-2006, 01:28
Does anyone know what you are supposed to do if a fire truck comes on the road behind you. The last time we was in Florida we tried to pull over on the side of the road to let the fire truck past, and he beeped and beeped at us. Is this the right thing to do?

blott
14-02-2006, 03:12
A new Florida State law was passed on 02 July 2002.

When any emergency vehicle -- police car, ambulance, fire equipment -- is parked on or beside a road with its visible signals active, all traffic must vacate the lane next to those vehicles. For example, you must move over if you approach a police car that has pulled over a speeder, or if you approach any emergency vehicle at an accident scene.

Also, you must drive 20 mph below the posted limit if the limit is 25 mph or higher.

If the speed limit is 20 mph or less, or if the emergency situation is on a two-lane road with no spare lane to use, traffic must slow to 5 mph unless otherwise directed by a law enforcement officer.

Obeying the new law is going to take some effort by motorists. Not obeying it will cost a minimum of $30

I'm not sure if you were being beeped because you were slow to move over or not at the right speed but you should always let an emergency vehicle have right of way.

chrizzy100
14-02-2006, 03:25
They do carry on blowing their horn...even if they see you pulling over..

LiesaAnna
14-02-2006, 03:57
oh scarey!!!

Eden
16-02-2006, 02:33
<span style="font-family:Comic Sans MS"></span id="Comic Sans MS">
Thanks for the advice, we did try and pull over straight away although it was only on a one lane road so we just had to pull in at the side.

emm
16-02-2006, 03:00
Something similar happened to me last year. A fire truck came up behind me when I had just stopped for a red light. I was turning left, so there was nothing I could do (and I didn't want to throw myself on to the intersection and be at the mercy of the traffic) as the central reservation had posts on it and I couldn't go up on it. So I had to sit there with the truck's horn blasting at me. [msneek] Fortunately the lights changed quickly and I could get out of the way.

LiesaAnna
16-02-2006, 12:17
now thats scarey!! i suppose there wasnt anything else you could've done Emm, i would've been petrified, i always try so hard to get out the way of any emergency vehicles here, and am always so surprised that there are people out there who dont even try to move!

Madabouttigger
19-02-2006, 12:45
Intresting reading, another good reason for keeping upto date on the forum pages.

orlandodaze
28-02-2006, 01:24
The jargon is all very fine ,its another thing when you are actally in that situation and it is so scary . They really appear to intimidate you ,just pray it dont happen to you .

florida4sun
18-03-2006, 14:46
Usually there is plenty of room to make way for a firectruck, even if you have to cross a line or move into the central reservation. The thing to do is not to panic and look for an obvious safe manouver to let the emergency services through. Just rembember all they want to do is save a life, they are not out to intimidate anyone. They just hqve to make as much noise as possible.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by orlandodaze
The jargon is all very fine ,its another thing when you are actally in that situation and it is so scary . They really appear to intimidate you ,just pray it dont happen to you .
[/quote]

ali-uk
18-03-2006, 17:02
Surely its the same in any country, dont panic, move over when you can, no matter which emergency vehicle it is.

Its sounds to me you did the right thing.

Hubby firefighter here in the UK.
Ali