PDA

View Full Version : Orlando Radio

tonygee
29-06-2003, 21:24
Good Day!
I tripped happily on your fine site while looking for something else entirely! My curiosity was piqued when I noticed all the hub-bub about Orlando radio stations. My favorites were not among them; and although I am not a Florida native, I consider that sixteen years here (plus the years I spent here as a young child) give me some kind of credence in the radio listening area.
My favorites are any PBS station broadcasting, WMMO usually in drive-time in the afternoon, and Real Radio 104.1. I cannot help it. I listen to Howard Stern almost regularly in the morning. There are times when news and traffice are more important. At those times I switch to AM 580-WDBO (Down By Orlando - one of the oldest stations in the area). Outside of that, I turn the darned thing off and cruise in silence.
Hope to be able to converse with others out there. Thanks for the opportunity to drop a note.

blott
29-06-2003, 21:50
Hi Tonygee

Welcome to the forum. Many thanks for the radio tips, I'll give them a whirl the next time we're over there. I take it you commute every day to work?

tonygee
02-07-2003, 15:34
quote:Originally posted by blott

Hi Tonygee

Welcome to the forum. Many thanks for the radio tips, I'll give them a whirl the next time we're over there. I take it you commute every day to work?
Yes. I work for the Agency for Workforce Innovation (Florida Unemployment). My job is to sit at a terminal and handle customer problems, complaints, and requests. The job is easy after the learning phase is passed. One never passes the learning stage. There is no handbook to show an agent what has to be done! I joined one day before the fatefull 9/11. In fact, I was in training on that very morning. We all ran into the break room to see what kind of plane mistakenly rammed into the World Trade Center.....Mistakenly!!!
In any event.....I live behind UCF and travel about fifteen miles in from thirty-five (durning Summer when school is out), and one hour...when all our winter visitors are here and school is in!
Years ago, when living in Virginia, I had an add-on radio tuner which gave me access to shortwave stations around the world. I have not seen such a thing for many years.
Right now, my wife and I are in the middle of a FORCED weeks vacation. I say forced, because I forced myself to order up the week several months ago so that we might co-incide on time off. So far, we have bee Florida Tourists. On Monday, we visited the Dolly Parton Dixie Stampede. I highly reccomend it for klitsch if for nothing else. The food was plentiful, the show was great, the volume was just a might loud .... but .... all else being equal, it was at least a four star attraction. We purchase tickets in advance through AAA. If any others out there purchase 'vouchers' through AAA, prepare to be disappointed in the way said 'vouchers' are handled by the system at the entrance to Dixie Stampede. This was the one low point in the whole show. They need some help getting their software up to par. We and others like us, held up the line for twenty minutes or more for no reason other than that they did not have an adequate system for turning the vouchers into tickets. Outside of that....go see the show.
We will be going to St. Augustine for a day shortly. Then towards the end of the week (closing in on July 4), we will be going to see "Fantasy of Flight" in Lakeland. After that, it will be oil changes, lawn work, and cleaning up before going back to work.
This looks like a very interesting forum. If there are any subscribers out there who spent any time at all in Mexico; please direct them this way. I spent seven years of my youth in Mexico, D.F. I went to the American School in Tacubaya. Lots of friends at that time were from many different countries. I am always on the look-out for contacts to my past. I lived in Mexico from 1953 to 1961. Any help in this regard would be greatly appreciated.
I can be reached here, of course; but also at antonyeee@netscape.com, and tonygee@k2services.net. We may be curtailing the k2services shortly, as the price is about to go up dramatically. I will inform all when we change servers.
Hope to correspond with you and any other interested parties again ...... Thanks ....... Tony Genco