PDA

View Full Version : American Airlines Pilot arrested for being drunk

Katys Grandad
11-02-2006, 22:01
The pilot on American Airlines Manchester - Chicago flight was arrested by Manchester Police for being drunk when he turned up at the airport this morning. Flight was delayed and the airline have apologised to the passengers!!

As a frequent American Airlines flyer who will be using that service in 3 weeks time, I must say I am most definitely not impressed.

[u]</u>[u]http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england...ter/4704518.stm</u>

11-02-2006, 23:06
Here is the full news story..........

A pilot has been arrested at Manchester airport on suspicion of being drunk.

The 45-year-old man, from Ohio, USA, was arrested shortly before a 10.30am American Airlines flight to Chicago.

He was questioned and given police bail until February 14, pending the outcome of tests.

The man was a relief first officer, meaning he provides back up for the two pilots during the flight.

He was arrested by police at a security checkpoint.

The flight, carrying 198 passengers and 11 crew, departed Manchester 55 minutes late.

A spokesman for Greater Manchester Police said: "At 10.15am today, we arrested a man on suspicion of being under the influence of alcohol while acting as a crew member."

An American Airlines spokesman apologised to the affected passengers and said an investigation has been launched.

He said: "An investigation into the circumstances of this event was immediately launched by the airline and no further details of the incident will be released until this is completed.

"American Airlines has apologised to all passengers for the inconvenience caused and has made alternative arrangements for those with connecting flights.

"Our primary concern is for the safety and comfort of our passengers and crews."

There have been a number of cases of pilots and co-pilots being arrested for allegedly trying to fly planes while drunk.

In 2002, a drunk America West pilot and co-pilot were arrested at Miami International Airport as they boarded a flight. A judge sentenced them in July to prison terms of five years and 2 1/2 years, respectively.

A pilot with the Finnish national airline Finnair was jailed for six months after an August 2004 incident in which he tried to fly a packed passenger jet drunk. When he was arrested, he had almost 2 1/2 times the legal limit of alcohol in his blood, prosecutors said.

In June, a Norwegian court sentenced the pilot of a British Airways jet to six months in prison for preparing to fly in November 2003 even though his co-pilot and members of his crew were drunk.

In October, a United Airlines pilot was removed from the cockpit and questioned by police in October after security screeners at Miami's airport reported smelling alcohol. The pilot was not arrested and no breath test was done, but the airline suspended him pending an ongoing internal investigation.

[msnsad]

Robert5988
11-02-2006, 23:09
I am on that flight next weekend!

I wonder if he was picked up during routine screening or the police were tipped off.

Perhaps the AA pilot needs the services of AA. - no not the Automobile Association!

11-02-2006, 23:30
If they go through the same crew security at Manchester as we used to then the security guards are trained to pick up any signs of drink or drugs[msneek]

My gut feel is that he had too much too late the night before[msnoo]

Katys Grandad
11-02-2006, 23:31
Apparently, because the distance to Chicago requires 3 pilots, the flight has had to stop at New York (which is within the 2 pilot limit) and pick up another pilot to take it to Chicago. Anybody wanting to connect to Florida will find it very difficult today.

What interests me is what AA told the passengers - I suspect they were a little "economic with the truth".

millie
12-02-2006, 00:05
Can you imagine sitting on the plane as a nervous flier to be told that there is a delay as one of the pilots has had a few beers too many!!![:I]

You would think it was a joke!
then run away!

orlandodaze
12-02-2006, 03:48
The irony is that it is A A airlines with the drunken pilots !.Sorry Im being naughty .[:I][:I]

pieman790
12-02-2006, 13:07
Im sure they would have not have told anybody on board until they got to the other end for this very reason.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by millie
Can you imagine sitting on the plane as a nervous flier to be told that there is a delay as one of the pilots has had a few beers too many!!![:I]

then run away!
[/quote]

12-02-2006, 13:11
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by pieman790
Im sure they would have not have told anybody on board until they got to the other end for this very reason.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by millie

then run away!
[/quote]
[/quote]

Exactly, they only need two crew to fly to New York so they would have used the 'operational reasons' as the excuse[msnwink]

John Rocke
12-02-2006, 16:34
i am in Manchester now, just dropped my wife and daughter there for the 11:15 AA Miami flight, shame we didn't know about it before. It would have made an interesting ice breaker with the ground staff.
Incidentally the Everton team and manager David Moyes were on the same flight to Miami. Not a bad life is it? Stuffed in the cup, then an all ex's trip, business class ( no wives!!), a bit of a kick around and then home again.

jr.

Katys Grandad
12-02-2006, 18:15
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by John Rocke
i am in Manchester now, just dropped my wife and daughter there for the 11:15 AA Miami flight, shame we didn't know about it before. It would have made an interesting ice breaker with the ground staff.
Incidentally the Everton team and manager David Moyes were on the same flight to Miami. Not a bad life is it? Stuffed in the cup, then an all ex's trip, business class ( no wives!!), a bit of a kick around and then home again.

jr.
[/quote]

Was Duncan Ferguson with them? I think some of the passengers might feel that they would rather have the drunken pilot.

pieman790
12-02-2006, 18:39
Its a long way to go for a training session. I take they are not playing next weekend as its the FA Cup?
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by John Rocke

jr.
[/quote]

Katys Grandad
12-02-2006, 19:20
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by pieman790
Its a long way to go for a training session. I take they are not playing next weekend as its the FA Cup?
[/quote]

What concerns me is that it was probably booked before they went out of the Cup last Wednesday night. Doesn't show much self-belief in their ability to stay in the competition for Saturday's 5th round.

John Rocke
13-02-2006, 03:56
no drunken Duncan was nowhere to be seen.

jr.