PDA

View Full Version : continental airlines

orlandodaze
11-02-2006, 02:20
It seems the best value I can get for flying to Florida next July(because of school holidays) is Continental Airlines Dublin to Newark,Newark to Tampa . Ihave no experience of this airline , and I would be delighted to know other peoples experiences of them . I have got an even cheaper fare but the snag is it stops at Shannon for 1 and a half hours ,that works out at about 670 euroes return. Worth the delay.

Southsider
11-02-2006, 02:52
I flew with Continental in January and found them very good. You can check in online up to 24hrs before your flight and print off your boarding cards as well, so it is hassle free at the airport. If you join their Elite Club online they might even upgrade up on your internal USA Flights!

I hope this helps, Olive!

orlandodaze
11-02-2006, 03:04
Thanks for your reply Tricia it certainly puts my mind at rest ,I should have booked straight away without the family board meeting because that fare is now 707 euro thats OBriens luck. [lucky][lucky][lucky][lucky]

dolphinv
11-02-2006, 03:35
We booked Continental Dublin MCO via JFK on 29th July, it was much cheaper than that

dolphinv
11-02-2006, 03:38
go direct to their site and see what daily special is on[msnwink]

pepsi
11-02-2006, 04:01
We have never flown by Continental but are doing so at Easter. We have always considered them to be one of the more expensive airlines. We have got good times going from Manchester via Newark.

SDJ
11-02-2006, 08:34
We are flying Continental from Bristol in April. Great as we live in Devon so worth the change at Newark.

chrisflowers
11-02-2006, 11:48
As we live is South Wales, we like flying from regional airports, and don't mind the change at Newark.
The long drive from Gatwick home is the last thing you need after a transatlantic crossing.

I am a gold elite with Continental now, and regularly fly from Bristol with them. They are very courteous and professional (on the International leg) and in 7 years of regularly flying with them, have had nothing but good experiences with them, even when things have gone badly wrong.

You get first class upgrades in the US once you have reached silver elite (5 single transatlantic flights per year in economy class) So if you go to Florida 3 times per year, by the return leg on your 3rd flight, you will have reached elite status, which you will keep for over a year, and can check in at Business first and get priority boarding.

CERICROWLEY
11-02-2006, 11:50
I have flown continental a couple of times now, from both Bristol connecting in Newark and Gatwick as well as partnering with Virgin flying direct.

I really like Newark airport it is hub airport for continental and food and the shops are a good timewaster waiting for the connections.

CarolAnn
11-02-2006, 12:14
Flying Continental next trip, Newark to Tampa, not heard any negative reports so far.:)

andrewandcarole
11-02-2006, 12:24
We booked Continental a couple of years ago but the flight as on Virgin. It was actaully a much cheaper deal that booking with Virgin - which was a result!

Carole

orlandodaze
11-02-2006, 19:26
My sincere thanks to all of you who replied , you have put my mind at rest . Tampa would appear to be the cheaper option rather than McCOy , but thats fine .

Southsider
11-02-2006, 21:27
Olive - Have you considered flying from Belfast at all?

orlandodaze
11-02-2006, 22:04
Yes Tricia I have looked at Belfast , an easy journey now they have extended the M50 to Dundalk but the fares coming back are crazy for that time of year .I look forward to the day when we are not governed by the school holidays and we can go exactly when we wish to and avail of the cheap fares .

millie
12-02-2006, 00:07
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by orlandodaze
My sincere thanks to all of you who replied , you have put my mind at rest . Tampa would appear to be the cheaper option rather than McCOy , but thats fine .
[/quote]

You have just solved one of my little puzzles. I could not work out why Orlando airport code was MCO!!!!!!!!! It has bugged me for ages. I presume McCoy is its real name?????

orlandodaze
12-02-2006, 03:21
To distinguish between the two airports Mccoy is the main one and Sanford is the one some distance away . Glad I solved your puzzle millie .

Rhosyn
12-02-2006, 11:54
I have noticed that there are a good choice of flights on the second leg from New York to Orlando one is with only 1 hour 20 minutes wait those who have flown this leg is this enough time to go through imigration I will not have a small case which i can take on the plane with me, or would the 2hour 55minute wait in New York be the better option.
Rose

chrisflowers
12-02-2006, 12:22
Rose

Book the earlier one, but if the flight from Bristol is delayed, you will automatically be rescheduled for the later flight, and just have to pick up your ticket from the gate agent.

CERICROWLEY
12-02-2006, 12:30
Rose

Last October our schedule was land at 14.00 and take off at 16.10, we did this with great ease and time to go round the shops.

You will find that Newark immigration is a little quicker than Orlando (well we did anyway, I suppose saying that it might be totally different to everyones point of view) They are a little more wary and ask a lot more questions(agian this is my thoughts) We have travelled to Orlando 6 times last year so thats maybe why all the questions.

You will have to drop off your bags at the transfer point and go through security again.

It might make a bit of a difference what day of the week you are travelling. If it is weekend times you might find the security on the domestic flights a bit backed up.

Rhosyn
12-02-2006, 12:39
Thank you Chris will book the early one as I will only have a small case with me, traveling light just me. Joanne and I may have a day shopping.
Thanks Ceri have not been to New York airport but if I have time will look around the shops.
Rose

jpusa66
12-02-2006, 17:04
Hi SDJ,
I notice you say you are flying from Bristol in April. We flew this route a few weeks ago as we live in Bristol. What time allowance have you got between your flights from Newark to MCO. Unfortunately we had problems on the way over and arrived 5 minutes after our connecting flight had departed. I was told to allow at least and hour between the connections, but I would say you need at least and hour and a half.
If you miss the connection then you have to wait in line for ages to rebook onto another flight. We were already to late for the next flight to MCO and ended up waiting a couple of hours for the next one. When you check in at Bristol make sure you ask if you will make the connection, if they think it is a close call then ask to be booked onto the next flight to MCO as it makes it alot easier in Newark.

jpusa66
12-02-2006, 17:09
Hi Chris,
Sorry, just read you message properly, but I do have to say that we were not automaticaly rescheduled. As I said in my previous post, we had to wait in line for about an hour before we could get the flights sorted. I really was a pain and so would advise anyone to make sure you ask at Bristol when checking in what they think!!
Best Wishes
Julia

chrisflowers
12-02-2006, 17:41
Julia

My experiences over the last few years with Coninental are that they normally go out of their way to ensure a smooth journey for you.

When we missed our flight in Novemebr when the M4 was closed at Cardiff, the staff rebooked us on the next day's flights, and as the plane was late arriving into Bristol, they reticketed me for the later connecting flight to ensure that I didn't miss my next flight down to Orlando.

Most flight times allow for normal weather conditions, but if you are flying against a heavy jet stream and then get put in a stack around Philadelphia, you will need a later flight. So far have only had a problem once in 7 years of flying.

Your advice is still good - to check if the flight will be delayed, and ask if you need to be rescheduled for the later connecting flight.

Rhosyn
13-02-2006, 10:20
All goood advice will book my flight earliest connection, ask at checkin at Bristol about delays and enjoy the flights.
Thank you

Macka
13-02-2006, 11:56
We did Conitinental back from Newark and found them very good indeed, they have a very new fleet of aircraft, one of the newest in the world so you get nice planes.[msnsmile2]

SDJ
13-02-2006, 18:50
Hi Julia

Thanks for info. I can't remember what times my connections have between them as I am still in Fla. until Friday but will take note of your experience and check with Bristol.

Sandra

CarolAnn
01-03-2006, 17:20
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Macka
We did Conitinental back from Newark and found them very good indeed, they have a very new fleet of aircraft, one of the newest in the world so you get nice planes.[msnsmile2]
[/quote]
Good to hear Macka!! I always just want to go to Florida and so don't always ask ALL the questions I should until after we have booked it!! But from the posts on here , all is looking good for my trip with Continental in April[msnsmile2]

Macka
01-03-2006, 17:27
I think you'll have a great flight with them Carol. ( not long now eh?[msnsmile2])

CarolAnn
04-03-2006, 17:19
Just confirmed with "He" who booked it Macka, 28 days today apparently[8D] Hurrah!!