PDA

View Full Version : Splendid China

Nostromo
25-06-2003, 19:55
Has anyone been to Splendid China recently? I keep hearing rumours that it is not what it used to be, the exhibits are in poor condition and so on. Others dismiss this as vile propaganda by the protestors. Political correctness apart, I have promised my elderly mother-in-law to take her to Splendid China when the entire family visit Orlando next Spring. I loved it in 1995 but do not want to spoil my memory if it is indeed spoilt.

blott
25-06-2003, 20:56
One of our guests went a few years ago and said it was seedy and run down and, if it's perimeter wall is anything to go by, they're right. But have a look at their website at http://www.floridasplendidchina.com or you can try here http://www.pbase.com/bogdatov/splendid_china_june2k2 which has lots of pics taken a year ago.

You'll also find some comments here about it from a previous thread http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=251

fiona
25-06-2003, 22:02
My mother in law (also elderly - 90 in Nov) was born and brought up in Hong Kong, interned during the war, and lived there until the 60's. Until fairly recently she travelled there often, and to China.

However, she didn't feel something like this would be of interest. She did however enjoy "China" at Epcot. Sadly it does look very run down from the outside as we go past to our villa.

Andy & Arlene
26-06-2003, 02:49
We went there 2 years ago and as has been said above it is very run down.

The admission fee also included a meal which was ok, although my kids wouldn't eat it. The show, however, was very good and there was also a maritial arts display.

chris
26-06-2003, 16:53
I've not been there but heard it had gone through a couple of bad years but has recently been revamped. I dont know how true this is.

eebeve11
24-07-2003, 19:04
quote:Originally posted by Nostromo

Has anyone been to Splendid China recently? I keep hearing rumours that it is not what it used to be, the exhibits are in poor condition and so on. Others dismiss this as vile propaganda by the protestors. Political correctness apart, I have promised my elderly mother-in-law to take her to Splendid China when the entire family visit Orlando next Spring. I loved it in 1995 but do not want to spoil my memory if it is indeed spoilt.

eebeve11
24-07-2003, 19:09
Splendid China was the worst part of my Orlando vacation. The park was dirty, with many outside attractions overgrown with weeds. Many buildings in park were closed and in badly needed repair. Outside state had holes in floor, restrooms dirty, etc.

With such an unkept park, we did not feel we wanted to try their "free" dinner. With such a dirty and unkept place, I didn't want to trust their food preparation. The park was almost deserted, with only about 25 cars in the parking lot. I would NEVER recommend such a place to my friends. A fee of $57 for two of us was nothing else but a donation.

Save your money and go to other nice attractions in Orlando of which there are many.

Ed

blott
24-07-2003, 20:54
Oh dear, sorry about your experience Ed although this does confirm what our guests told us a few years ago. It's such a shame as this park opened not that many years ago but it seems to be in a downward spiral of lack of guests and therefore no money for upkeep/no money for upkeep and guests not going there because of that.

In my guest info I do actually warn people not to waste their money on this 'attraction' since our previous guest told us about it although that doesn't help you unfortunately. :( But we appreciate your telling us about it so that we can avoid other people having the same experience.

SunLover
25-07-2003, 00:45
Hmmm... thanks for the above folks. I have it listed on my web site as one of the attractions. I think I might now add to it's demise and remove it, to avoid disappointing any future guests.:(

sunshine state
05-09-2003, 18:57
Yes if anyone is looking for the splendid China it is located on the Highway 192 if your heading up the 192 with old town on your left you keep going and you should come to a left turning that has Taco Bell and Red lobster either side follow the road round and its located on your left i have never been there so could not tell anyone what its like once you arrive inside the gates.

sunshine state

fiona
05-09-2003, 21:59
Splendid China is on the right once you have entered Splendid China Boulevard!

A good marker sign is the dragon.

chrisj
06-09-2003, 01:45
we were going to visit, but lukily I read this forum before we went so didnt bother.

Lesley S
07-01-2004, 01:17
Splendid China closed it doors on the the 30th December 2003.

[12/30/2003]
FLASH!!! Florida Splendid China Theme Park will discontinue operations in Central Florida as of the close of business on December 31, 2003. This determination was reached primarily due to the continued downturn in the tourism economy, as evidenced by the closing of other tourism-dependent businesses in the area. Despite several years of attempting to achieve successful theme park operations, the company has concluded that it could not longer continue to incur significant losses. To our friends and supporters, we express extreme regret that this action has become necessary.

fiona
07-01-2004, 04:47
I wonder if the dragons will stay? They are a good landmark for us to direct guests to.

lisag
07-01-2004, 16:04
That's what I was thinking Fiona!!

It's what we send to our guests

Lesley S
07-01-2004, 18:10
Fiona, that is what I said to Jamie when I heard the news. As you say good land mark to direct people to.

MysteriousJourneys
16-01-2004, 20:05
I actually went on my first visit and found it extremely boring.

Steve