PDA

View Full Version : My Reply from TSA Customer Service..

ujpest doza
31-01-2006, 13:23
Key points really are that it is not compulsory to lock your case, but is recommended in case it needs to be opened, BUT it will only be opened if an alarm is triggered in the x-ray process, so if it is obvious that there are just clothes in there it won't be opened. They again recommend cable ties for zipped suitcases, but ours aren't zipped they are hard plastic ones.

E-Mail in full :-

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Thank you for your email message concerning the checked baggage screening process for air travel.

The Aviation and Transportation Security Act (ATSA) established the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) and mandated deadlines for enhanced security measures.

Incrementally, TSA worked to meet its mandates and at the same time provide an increased level of customer service. As changes and enhancements to aviation security were implemented TSA publicized Traveler Tips in local and national media, as well as on its website at http://www.TSATravelTips.us, to aid travelers with the enhanced screening processes. Similarly, TSA launched a media campaign shortly before the end of the 2002 to inform travelers of changes to the checked baggage screening processes.

TSA recommends that passengers leave checked baggage unlocked, however, this is not a requirement. Enhanced security measures require that all checked baggage undergo at least one form of screening. Hand screening of the luggage will be required to clear every alarm and baggage screeners may have to forcibly open locked baggage to complete the screening process. Travelers who lock their checked baggage do so with the understanding that this may cause delays for themselves and/or their baggage.

TSA's Office of Chief Counsel has determined that pursuant to current law and regulations, TSA is NOT liable for any damage to the locks or luggage that occur in the process of opening a bag for security processes. However, you may file a claim with TSA for any items lost or damaged during the inspection.

Passengers may want to consider purchasing standard "cable ties," which can be found at your local hardware store. The 4 to 5 inch variety cable ties generally work best since they are the easiest to remove at your destination and can be used to close almost every bag with zippers.

TSA screeners should exercise great care during the screening process to ensure that your contents are returned to your bag every time a bag needs to be opened. TSA will assess, on an individual basis, any loss or damage claims made to TSA. You may call the TSA Contact Center toll-free at 1-866-289-9673 for assistance with the claims process.

In some airports, the checked baggage screening process is integrated into the airline's baggage handling process. In this case, checked baggage screening is completed outside the view of passengers. In other airports, the checked baggage screening is completed in a public area of the terminal and passengers may be nearby when their baggage is screened. Once the screening process is completed, passengers are not permitted to repack or handle their baggage.

TSA's travel tips online provide information about prohibited and permitted items, the screening process and procedures, and guidance for special considerations, which may assist in preparing for air travel. We also encourage you to visit our website at &lt;http://www.tsa.dot.gov&gt; for additional information about TSA. We continue to add new information and encourage you to check the website frequently for updated information.

We hope this information is helpful.

TSA Contact Center
[/quote]

pieman790
31-01-2006, 13:27
We bought some TSA approved locks from Walmart for $5 each. The are combination locks but have a key overide for the TSA to use if required.

andrewandcarole
31-01-2006, 13:39
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:BUT it will only be opened if an alarm is triggered in the x-ray process, [/quote]

Gosh - wonder what is in our suitcases that triggers suspicion then - our suitcases have been searched several times!

Carole

ujpest doza
31-01-2006, 13:40
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by pieman790
We bought some TSA approved locks from Walmart for $5 each. The are combination locks but have a key overide for the TSA to use if required.
[/quote]

Did they have anything that would work on a Carlton/Samsonite hard plastic suitcase as a padlock would be no use?

pieman790
31-01-2006, 14:34
I didnt seen anything like that when i was last in Walmart but will keep an eye out next time i am in.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by ujpest doza
[/quote]

Did they have anything that would work on a Carlton/Samsonite hard plastic suitcase as a padlock would be no use?

[/quote]

markandpam
31-01-2006, 16:20
I have samsonite luggage and have bought a TSA approved padlock with a luggage strap attached to it. It works really well and I've had no problems.

Pam.

ujpest doza
31-01-2006, 18:11
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by markandpam
I have samsonite luggage and have bought a TSA approved padlock with a luggage strap attached to it. It works really well and I've had no problems.

Pam.
[/quote]

Where did you buy it and how much did it cost? (if you don't mind me askin)

Madabouttigger
31-01-2006, 21:52
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by ujpest doza
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by markandpam

Pam.
[/quote]

Where did you buy it and how much did it cost? (if you don't mind me askin)

[/quote]

I could do with one of these too - are they available in the UK?

31-01-2006, 22:01
Have a look here..........

http://www.tamperseal.com/

markandpam
01-02-2006, 02:04
I bought mine from www.travelwithcare.com and it cost £9.99 for the strap and padlock. It arrived really quickly, only took 2 days :)

Pam.

Sharon G
01-02-2006, 13:55
[/quote]

...thanks for this!...may well invest in a few[msnsmile2]

pieman790
01-02-2006, 14:00
If you go into the Walmart on the 192 they are next to the suit cases to the rear of the store. They are made by American Tourister.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Sharon G
[/quote]

[/quote]

Macka
01-02-2006, 14:55
If you go into the Walmart on the 192 they are next to the suit cases to the rear of the store. They are made by American Tourister.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Sharon G
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

Which I believe are Samsonite? [msnwink]

Tonish
06-01-2012, 11:03
BUT it will only be opened if an alarm is triggered in the x-ray process,

Gosh - wonder what is in our suitcases that triggers suspicion then - our suitcases have been searched several times!

Carole

Me too. Just got back yesterday and found that for the fourth time one of our suitcases had been checked. What is especially curious is that one particular case has been checked on every occasion. On other occasions more than one has been checked, but always this particular one regardless.

We only have our clothes in it, no electronics, laptops, or anything that we can think would cause a problem.

steph_goodrum
06-01-2012, 13:30
Me too. Just got back yesterday and found that for the fourth time one of our suitcases had been checked. What is especially curious is that one particular case has been checked on every occasion. On other occasions more than one has been checked, but always this particular one regardless.

We only have our clothes in it, no electronics, laptops, or anything that we can think would cause a problem.

We got back Saturday and one of our suitcases which had a safe, 2 drills and batteries for them was not searched but one that had more routine stuff but did include osme cake mixes but nothing else of any partcular note was searched. We usually use cable ties to stop things being put in our case but this time hadnt bothered.

Jill
06-01-2012, 14:19
Perhaps it has picked up an odour or something during one of the flights. We have a case that must have been near some fish (that is what it smelt of and was wet when we landed from LAX at Heathrow) - we did report it but were told it would dry out okay and not too worry. I have washed that case more than once and used so called odour elimianting sprays but in some conditions you can still smell fish.

bjpointon
06-01-2012, 19:17
Jill, Liberally sprinkle the part that smells with bicarbonate of soda and leave for about 24 hours before vacuuming off, this should eliminate the smell.