PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of Flying Virgin

ujpest doza
30-01-2006, 13:51
We have 3 options for our next trip in December 06.

Thomson direct from Manchester to Sanford
Virgin Direct from Manchester to Orlando
BA Newcastle to Gatwick to Orlando

I have my own opinions on the various pros and cons of each but would like some opinions.

Thomson fly quite early and arrive at Sanford at 1330 and as i know Sanford quite well i know i will be in and out of the airport and on the road quite quickly, but will obviously have a 45 mile drive to our house. I'm used to charter seats on Airtours and Thomas Cook but haven't flown Thomson long haul (except Premiar Gold) so am unaware of how cramped it may be on the plane (seat pitch is supposed to be 30 or 31?)

Virgin fly a little later but still get to MCO at 1450. I haven't been to MCO for nearly 7 years and am therefore a bit unfamiliar with the airport and in particular the car hire depot and roads leading from it to the 417 as i always used the b-line from the old Alamo depot next to highway 15. How much better is the comfort and service on Virgin? (its actually about the same price as Thomson).

Flying BA means i won't have to drive to Manchester but will have a minimum of 2 to 4 hours wait at Gatwick outbound and a minimum of 4 hours wait at Gatwick upon return. The flight doesn't reach MCO until 1620 so it will most probably be dark by the time i reach the car hire office and therefore will have to leave the airport in the dark.Is the service better on BA than Virgin, ie is it worth the hassle of driving to Manchester in order to arrive a bit earlier in Florida?

I have flown BA long haul a couple of times but have never flown Virgin so would like some other peoples opinions. If it helps, i shall have a 3 year old with me.

Robert5988
30-01-2006, 14:12
There are a lot more options than the 3 you have given surely. From Manchester lots of charters, BA indirect, AA indirect, BMI etc

The MCO car hire depots are now on the airport site and have been for some years. It is very easy to get on the 417 from MCO.

ujpest doza
30-01-2006, 14:31
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Robert5988
There are a lot more options than the 3 you have given surely. From Manchester lots of charters, BA indirect, AA indirect, BMI etc

The MCO car hire depots are now on the airport site and have been for some years. It is very easy to get on the 417 from MCO.
[/quote]

I know, but if i am driving to Manchester i want a direct flight.I can go indirect with BA from newcastle so wouldn't drive to Manchester for anything other than a direct flight.

Thomson are the only Charter flight on the dates we want to go and are actually £1000 cheaper than the other charter companies on the days previous and afterwards.

stabard
30-01-2006, 14:34
I have not flown with Thomson so cannot comment on the airline but I do like Sanford airport as I found it freindly and easy to clear adn get on the road.

I like flying with Virgin as I can do Online check in or Twilight check in which leaves less hanging around at Gatwick. However I find MCO a bit hectic. The car rental places are easy to find and access to the 417 is easy. Also only a short drive to the house.

If the flights are a similar price I would choose Virgin

heathercobbett
30-01-2006, 14:34
We have been with many different carriers and they have all been fine so we no longer have a favourite

wrpac00
30-01-2006, 14:54
I have only ever flown into MCO and have found it fine on every occasion, over the past 2 years friends of ours have had really bad experiences at Sanford but others have been OK.

If the price is the same I would fly Virgin and has been said already all (apart from Hertz I think it is) car hire firms are downstairs in the terminal.

ujpest doza
30-01-2006, 15:07
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by wrpac00
I have only ever flown into MCO and have found it fine on every occasion, over the past 2 years friends of ours have had really bad experiences at Sanford but others have been OK.

If the price is the same I would fly Virgin and has been said already all (apart from Hertz I think it is) car hire firms are downstairs in the terminal.
[/quote]

The car hire would be with Dollar.
Where exactly are the cars in relation to the car hire desks in the airport?

30-01-2006, 15:46
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by ujpest doza
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by wrpac00

[/quote]

The car hire would be with Dollar.
Where exactly are the cars in relation to the car hire desks in the airport?

[/quote]

Just across the road as you leave the Terminal, so quick and easy now[msnwink]

Mags
30-01-2006, 21:54
Another advantage of Virgin is the Downtown Disney check in on the way back.

The car hire desks are all in the terminal building and then you just need to cross the road to the multi-storey car park and you will pick up your car from there.[msnsmile2]

pieman790
31-01-2006, 14:41
Will this be during the kids holidays?
We tend to use BMI from Manchester via Chicago as they are cheaper than Virgin when the schools are out. We saved £900 for a family of 4 last christmas based on the Virgin fare.
Virgin are good and i would use them if the price was within £200 but i cannot justify the extra £900 they charge.
We have used the BA route via Manchester before and had a good flight.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by ujpest doza
We have 3 options for our next trip in December 06.

Thomson direct from Manchester to Sanford
Virgin Direct from Manchester to Orlando
BA Newcastle to Gatwick to Orlando

I have my own opinions on the various pros and cons of each but would like some opinions.

Thomson fly quite early and arrive at Sanford at 1330 and as i know Sanford quite well i know i will be in and out of the airport and on the road quite quickly, but will obviously have a 45 mile drive to our house. I'm used to charter seats on Airtours and Thomas Cook but haven't flown Thomson long haul (except Premiar Gold) so am unaware of how cramped it may be on the plane (seat pitch is supposed to be 30 or 31?)

Virgin fly a little later but still get to MCO at 1450. I haven't been to MCO for nearly 7 years and am therefore a bit unfamiliar with the airport and in particular the car hire depot and roads leading from it to the 417 as i always used the b-line from the old Alamo depot next to highway 15. How much better is the comfort and service on Virgin? (its actually about the same price as Thomson).

Flying BA means i won't have to drive to Manchester but will have a minimum of 2 to 4 hours wait at Gatwick outbound and a minimum of 4 hours wait at Gatwick upon return. The flight doesn't reach MCO until 1620 so it will most probably be dark by the time i reach the car hire office and therefore will have to leave the airport in the dark.Is the service better on BA than Virgin, ie is it worth the hassle of driving to Manchester in order to arrive a bit earlier in Florida?

I have flown BA long haul a couple of times but have never flown Virgin so would like some other peoples opinions. If it helps, i shall have a 3 year old with me.

[/quote]

imported_n/a
31-01-2006, 19:24
Hi
Just come back from sunny florida[msnsmile],have tried all the airlines the last three virgin from manchester flight ok 8hrs 20,7hrs 20 rtn and this time of year plenty of room to spread out the its only when you get to orlando with all the checks which you will never get rid with all the thinks going on in the world, sandfrod seems to be quicker may not as busy as mco, you pays your money and takes your choice.
allenc

ujpest doza
31-01-2006, 19:30
We've pretty much decided to go with the Virgin fly drive as it actually works out cheaper than both BA and Thomsons by the time the car hire and insurance is added.

Thanks everyone.

imported_n/a
01-02-2006, 15:16
Hi ujpest doza
Have you tried the links on this site for car hire and do a flight only with virgin, they all ways have been ok when i have booked.
allenc

ujpest doza
01-02-2006, 15:31
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by allenc
Hi ujpest doza
Have you tried the links on this site for car hire and do a flight only with virgin, they all ways have been ok when i have booked.
allenc
[/quote]

I have, but i get 13% off Virgin Holidays but zero off Virgin-Atlantic flights, therefore 13% off a flydrive.

Also, Virgin Atlantic Flights aren't available to book until 337 days before return date but holidays are (work that one out), so we are going to check again when the Virgin Flights are availble. Even then though, i get 25% off another holiday car rental company whose name i am not allowed to put on here so it isn't worth it for me to book the car hire through this site.

Madabouttigger
01-02-2006, 20:44
We used Virgin flights frm Manchester last year and found them very good. The online check in and Down Town Disney Check in's are a big plus for me.

AngelaB
01-02-2006, 23:21
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Madabouttigger
We used Virgin flights frm Manchester last year and found them very good. The online check in and Down Town Disney Check in's are a big plus for me.
[/quote]

We fly from Manchester on Saturday and flying with Virgin, we are considering doing the online checkin.

trevlad
02-02-2006, 19:46
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by AngelaB
[/quote]

We fly from Manchester on Saturday and flying with Virgin, we are considering doing the online checkin.
[/quote]

angela we did it last year, drove down to my dads in essex and booked in on line the night before, got 4 middle seats together.thought there would be problems but it was easy and we whizzed thru heathrow check in my dad was so impressed he also did the same when they flew to a wedding in the keys.
means you dont have to arrive so early too!!

AngelaB
02-02-2006, 23:47
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by trevlad
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by AngelaB
[/quote]

[/quote]

angela we did it last year, drove down to my dads in essex and booked in on line the night before, got 4 middle seats together.thought there would be problems but it was easy and we whizzed thru heathrow check in my dad was so impressed he also did the same when they flew to a wedding in the keys.
means you dont have to arrive so early too!!
[/quote]

Ye oh thats good to hear Trev, will definately do the online check in tomorrow then ...he he TOMORROW !!! yay nearly here after 16 months of planning [msnsmile2]