PDA

View Full Version : To Lock or Not to Lock!!

AngelaB
29-01-2006, 18:30
We are flying with Virgin next week and are unsure whether to lock our suitcases or not. Do they have to be kept unlocked or not !!!

Thanks

dcnurse
29-01-2006, 18:35
Think most airlines now state luggage should be left UNLOCKED!

ellie
29-01-2006, 18:52
We do not lock our suitcases any more but we use the plastic electical cable ties just to secure the zips. If they want to they can cut these off easily.

We also uses the coloured luggage straps with a 2 digit combination - not for safety but really to help identify our suitcases. We put the combination on the lock on a sticky label so they can undo them if they want to rather than cutting them off. Although it is so simple to undo them anyway by holding down the clip at the side and rotating the number until it opens.

You can buy expensive locks which are approved by the security services at the airport - they can open these without damaging them - they are about $20 for two and can be purchased at Orlando International Airport and other places.

E. Cosgrove
29-01-2006, 19:01
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by ellie

You can buy expensive locks which are approved by the security services at the airport - they can open these without damaging them - they are about $20 for two and can be purchased at Orlando International Airport and other places.
[/quote]
We have these locks which we bought from Wilsons leather $10 for 2, they can be opened by airport personel with a special tool and an indicator allows you to see if your luggage has been unlocked and searched. We use them all the time, our cases have never been opened.:)

pepsi
29-01-2006, 20:07
That sounds like a good idea Liz. We will look in Wilson leather on our next trip. Thanks for the information.

AngelaB
29-01-2006, 20:13
ok thanks everyone, i will not bother locking the cases....[msnsmile]

andrewandcarole
29-01-2006, 20:22
The TSA always put a note inside your case if they have inspected it -and it has happened to us several time. We never lock our cases - as notices in the airports in the US make it very clear that if they want to get into your case they will - locked or not!

Carole

Genie
29-01-2006, 21:35
We have been traveling to Florida since 1989 and have never locked our cases, neither have we ever had anything stolen.

LiesaAnna
29-01-2006, 22:49
someone pointed out to me tho, when we told them we didnt lock our cases that someone could plant something in your case at the airport, last time we locked them

30-01-2006, 00:21
Hubby flew to the US last week with BMI and his bag was locked outbound but on the return they were left unlocked to go through security but then locked by the security staff after they had searched the bags[msnscared]

CorFL
30-01-2006, 00:52
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by AngelaB
We are flying with Virgin next week and are unsure whether to lock our suitcases or not. Do they have to be kept unlocked or not !!!

Thanks
[/quote]We always use TSA approved locks... bought them on the internet... 8 dollars a piece... From Tamperseal... which can be unlocked by TSA with a special code and tool...

Great things... they have a small green colored dot which changes to red if someone has opened it...

We expirienced several times that TSA inspected one of our suitcases while they left no note inside the suitcase...
And if the dot has turned red it's easy to reset by the owner...

ujpest doza
30-01-2006, 13:41
We have always locked our suitcases and wouldn't have thought to do otherwise if it wasn't for forums such as this one.

We have usually flown to Sanford but are 80% certain to be flying to MCO in December due to pricing etc.

We have 3 hard plastic suitcases that have a combination lock (although one does have a key as well). If we were to lock them using the combination (as we have always done), will security be able to open and then lock them using a special security code? (someone i used to work with said their suitcase was locked with a combination but had a little note inside from customs to say it had been searched. She rang HM CUstoms afterwards and a spokesman there said they were able to open combinations with a special security code???)

blott
30-01-2006, 16:19
There are signs all over check-in in the US telling you not to lock your suitcases.

We have combination locks on ours and never lock them because, if security want to look inside, they will just break the locks off if necessary. Not worth the possibility of ruining an expensive suitcase I wouldn't have thought?

ujpest doza
30-01-2006, 16:30
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by blott
There are signs all over check-in in the US telling you not to lock your suitcases.

We have combination locks on ours and never lock them because, if security want to look inside, they will just break the locks off if necessary. Not worth the possibility of ruining an expensive suitcase I wouldn't have thought?
[/quote]

I have never seen any signs at Sanford.

Where do you stand with Insurance if the case comes open or something is stolen (by baggage handlers for instance as has been highlighted on both BBC Airport/Airline shows and in the press).

Do they not have a master code for combinations as suggested by a former colleague of mine?

blott
30-01-2006, 17:19
I think you may mean that someone with a TSA approved combination padlock had their case opened? I've never heard of anyone being able to open a 'built in' type of combination lock without either knowing your secret code for it or breaking it.

I did find reference to Samsonite possibly making suitcases with TSA approved locks but I can't see any evidence that they have hard shell type suitcases with TSA locks.

As far as insurance is concerned, I would think you'd need to check with your insurance company about this as insurance companies differ in their insurance cover levels.

Kazzie
30-01-2006, 18:02
We have always locked ours too and usually fly into Sanford. We have never had ours opened yet but I think I will leave them unlocked this time just to be sure.

Karen

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by ujpest doza
We have always locked our suitcases and wouldn't have thought to do otherwise if it wasn't for forums such as this one.

We have usually flown to Sanford but are 80% certain to be flying to MCO in December due to pricing etc.

We have 3 hard plastic suitcases that have a combination lock (although one does have a key as well). If we were to lock them using the combination (as we have always done), will security be able to open and then lock them using a special security code? (someone i used to work with said their suitcase was locked with a combination but had a little note inside from customs to say it had been searched. She rang HM CUstoms afterwards and a spokesman there said they were able to open combinations with a special security code???)

[/quote]

Macka
30-01-2006, 18:15
I have a MAJOR problem with this.

If I leave my case unlocked and check it in, what if a baggage handler or other airport/airline employee wants to stuff a few pounds of Cocaine in my suitcase and then get someone to bang me over the head for it after I leave the airport?

Think about it, you have no control over your possessions and the burden of proof is upon you to prove that you did not put it in there.

I don't mind anyone looking through my case for security, in fact I welcome it, but I'm really uncomfortable with this procedure. I have Samsonites with combination locks and was told if they wanted to search it they would destroy the locks if necessary. This was on the way back from the US not on the way.

The only way around this, would be to insist that customs search your case
before departing.

LiesaAnna
30-01-2006, 18:38
i too worry about the possiblities that you mention Paul, hence locking the case, and if it was done by security as others have said it would possibly have a note left inside and relocked somehow

djdigitald
30-01-2006, 18:45
I always lock my cases and always will due to the points that Paul has mentioned, although last year at MCO when we checked our cases in we had to keep the Combination locked ones unlocked and was told that they would lock them after the security check. I kept them locked and they were still that way when i got back!

Macka
30-01-2006, 18:49
Hmmmmm.

I'm going to ask the question of the airlines/airports, although I don't expect a response.

I'm encouraged that you think this way too Leisa and Dj. I'll let you know how it goes.

Paul.

ujpest doza
30-01-2006, 19:13
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Macka
Hmmmmm.

I'm going to ask the question of the airlines/airports, although I don't expect a response.

I'm encouraged that you think this way too Leisa and Dj. I'll let you know how it goes.

Paul.
[/quote]

Having read about baggage handlers at heathrow stealing stuff and also seeing covert operations to catch them on the BBC Airport programme i also think the same way.

Surely the bags are x-rayed and then if they need to be opened a tannoy announcement could be made so that they could be opened by yourself in the prescence of the customs officials?

LiesaAnna
30-01-2006, 19:29
that sounds like the best way of doing things but am sure people wont always hear the tannoy system?

ujpest doza
30-01-2006, 19:34
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by LiesaAnna
that sounds like the best way of doing things but am sure people wont always hear the tannoy system?
[/quote]

I've sent the TSA an e-mail asking about this as their website does say leave cases unlocked or use a tsa lock.

They have a link to 2 websites that sell tsa approved locks and they are padlocks which would obviously be unsuitable to use on a Samsonite/Carlton/Benetton suitcase (the 3 we have!).

markandpam
30-01-2006, 21:53
I have Samsonite cases and have just bought TSA approved locks with straps. They fit all my cases easily so I hope I won't be unfortunate enough to have my cases broken in to!

Pam.

30-01-2006, 22:20
US Airways say this.........

The Transportation Security Administration advises -- For your security, The TSA is screening all checked baggage. Unlocked bags can be examined quickly. Locked bags will be opened if necessary, then resealed. That process could result in delay or damage. You can find further information on the TSA website: www.TSATravelTips.us.

Air Canada...........

Locking/Unlocking of checked baggage

(TSA) - US Transportation Security Administration has issued the following information to passengers arriving into the United States and connecting to other flights or continuing on the same flight.

For your security, the TSA is screening all checked baggage. In some cases, screeners will have to open your baggage as part of the screening process. If your bag is unlocked, then TSA will simply open and screen the bag. However, if the bag is locked and TSA needs to open your bag, the locks may have to be broken.

You may keep your bag locked if you choose, however, passengers who elect to lock their checked baggage must do so with the understanding that this process may result in damage to locks and/or baggage delays.

TSA and your airline are not liable for damage to locks resulting from this mandatory security measure. For more details visit the TSA website.

China Airlines...............

TSA Unlock Checked Baggage Information

The TSA (Transportation Security Administration Of U.S.A.) has been started to screen all passenger's checked baggage at U.S. airports effective from January 01, 2003. Therefore would like to remind you something as below especially when you depart from USA.

TSA will have to open passenger's baggage as part of screening process, if the baggage is locked and TSA needs to check the baggage then locks may have to be broken. Therefore TSA suggests that to prevent the need to break baggage locks by keeping check-in baggage unlocked.
TSA is not liable for damage to the locks and also not accept baggage damage or pilferage claims. When passenger's belongings are missing from the Unlock Checked Baggage, please feel free to contact the TSA Consumer Response Center, TSA will assess any claims made to TSA on an individual basis. Passenger can contact TSA Consumer Response Center with the following means:
Phone : Toll-free at 1-866-2899673
Email : TellTSA@tsa.dot.gov
Please connect with USA government internet address "www.TSATravelTips.us" for more details regarding this "Unlock Checked Baggage" .

British Airways..........

Can I lock or put padlocks on my suitcases for carriage on British Airways flights?

Answer

You can lock or put padlocks on any baggage that you are checking in for your flight, unless you are travelling to the USA.

We recommend that you do not lock your cases for flights to the USA, as the US authorities can demand to search passengers luggage without their consent.

What are the security procedures for USA Airports as of 1 January 2003?

Answer

Effective 1 January 2003, The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) has instituted standardized screening procedures at airports across the United States.

Here are some tips that will help you through the screening process:

Please carry all valuable with you such as electronic equipment, cameras, jewellery, medications, prescriptions and keys.
Don't put film in your checked baggage, the screening equipment may damage it.
Try placing personal belongings in clear plastic bags in case the TSA screener will have to handle them.
Pack shoes, boots, sneakers, and other footwear on top of other items in your luggage.
Avoid over-packing your bag so that the screener will be able to easily close your bag if they open it for inspection. Please remember the maximum weight for checked baggage on British Airways is 32 kgs or 70 lbs per piece.
Avoid packing food and drink items in checked luggage.
Don't stack books or documents on top of each other, spread them out within your baggage.
Also please do not lock your checked luggage in case they need

CorFL
03-02-2006, 20:22
I think you may mean that someone with a TSA approved combination padlock had their case opened? I've never heard of anyone being able to open a 'built in' type of combination lock without either knowing your secret code for it or breaking it.

I did find reference to Samsonite possibly making suitcases with TSA approved locks but I can't see any evidence that they have hard shell type suitcases with TSA locks.

As far as insurance is concerned, I would think you'd need to check with your insurance company about this as insurance companies differ in their insurance cover levels.
[/quote]Talking to me Blott?? [msnsmile]

orlandodaze
04-02-2006, 01:19
We used to lock our cases very carefully especially on the homeward bound journey with all the newly purchased gooodies but in recent years we take our chances and leave them open, and yes we have on occasion found the note left by the security people. Im always glad that having stayed in a villa I dont have any dirty clothing because I always wash everything before we depart , making it more pleasent for the security officials sifting through our stuff.

blott
04-02-2006, 03:02
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by CorFL

[/quote]Talking to me Blott?? [msnsmile][/quote]No, sorry, replying to this! <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by ujpest doza

[/quote]

Frosty
05-02-2006, 16:03
We use Delsey hardcase type suitcases.
We always lock the inbuilt locks on the outer catches, then we lock the middle combination lock, then we secure them with a luggage strap which does not lock but has a very secure means of gripping the strap to stop it loosening.

We have travelled many times to the US over the last few years with the cases secured as above.

Only once did we find a TSA note inside one case, no locks had been broken, the combination lock was still intact and the strap was still secured!!!

I would assume that the TSA will have all the relevant keys for suitcase locks, after all they are not really high security, you can open most with a hair clip and you don't have to beem part of MI6 to do this.

In our "case",:D, i suspect that the TSA opened the outer locks with keys and then simply lited up one corner of the case to peer in, remember they xray cases so this would indicate most things, and by easing up one corner they can introduce the fancy sniffing gear to check for explosives etc.

Its everyones own choice whether you lock or unlock, if your like me and like to lock for peace of mind, then you run the risk of them damaging the case, but in reality they can access most of what they want if they want to.
And finally does anyone have experience of having their locks "smashed off" or their "cases damaged", because i don't.

blott
05-02-2006, 16:36
Our Samsonite cases don't have keys, just a combination lock. I doubt very much whether you could open them with hair clip!

As we don't pack valuables in the cases, I wouldn't be prepared to risk having the cases ruined by a broken lock. We therefore always travel with ours open as recommended and have experienced no problems whatsoever with that course of action on indirect flights (two lots of security checking in the US on both the outward and inward flights).

Frosty
05-02-2006, 16:54
Our Samsonite cases don't have keys, just a combination lock. I doubt very much whether you could open them with hair clip!

As we don't pack valuables in the cases, I wouldn't be prepared to risk having the cases ruined by a broken lock. We therefore always travel with ours open as recommended and have experienced no problems whatsoever with that course of action on indirect flights (two lots of security checking in the US on both the outward and inward flights).

[/quote]

If you read what i wrote, i didn't suggest you could open a combination lock with a hair clip, i mean't the key locks that are provided on most cases, and aren't exactly high security.

Most people fear outside interferance to cases, as much putting stuff in as taking out, so it doesn't really matter whether you carry valuables.
Additionally locking and securing catches etc is just another means of ensuring cases don't open in transit.
I would hate to see at the carosel my case bust open with all my belongings on view, which i have experiancend for other poor souls twice before.
As i said its everyones own choice, you make your own, but i have just read elsewhere that the TSA do not insist on open cases only recommend that you do to avoid delay and or damage.
Again do you know someone who has had their case damaged in this way ?
I don't.

blott
05-02-2006, 17:27
I read what you wrote. <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:I would assume that the TSA will have all the relevant keys for suitcase locks, after all they are not really high security, you can open most with a hair clip and you don't have to beem part of MI6 to do this.[/quote] I was merely pointing out that perhaps suitcase locks cannot be so easily opened with a hair pin as you suggested. If suitcases can be so easily opened, then there's no point in locking them in the first place as anyone with a spare hair pin can get into them.

The TSA position is already given quite clearly on this thread. If you choose to lock your case without using a TSA approved lock, then you run the risk having the locks broken - your choice. I choose to follow TSA guidelines but that is my choice.

With regard to having your potentially embarrassing case contents spread all over the carousel, then you've already said that you use a luggage strap which isn't locked so it's highly unlikely that your locks will be broken along with your unlocked luggage strap, although I concede it might still be faintly possible. I use an unlocked luggage strap too but that's because my cases aren't locked and I'll be looking into getting a TSA approved lockable luggage strap in the future.

I personally don't know anyone who has had broken luggage locks but that doesn't mean that there isn't someone 'out there' who has had this happen. However, I'm not prepared to take that chance - again, my choice.

julieanne
06-02-2006, 00:16
I've seen Samonsite/Delsey type cases coming off carousels with their locks smashed open and some very angry owners.

It never happened to me all the years I used these suitcases - but I do now have a different case and use the TSA locks :)

markandpam
06-02-2006, 00:32
Same here Julie. I've just returned from Orlando and will be off again in 4 weeks. I saw two Samsonite/Delsey type cases on the carousel with smashed locks. I've bought TSA approved locks with luggage straps :)

Pam.