PDA

View Full Version : clearwater beach cruise

mizzy
26-01-2006, 13:33
hi can anyone tell me if they have done one of these cruises and would you recommend them

i have seen tickets for sale for either a 2hr sealife safari cruise which is where you go out with a marine bioligist which includes a visit to shell island and lunch at the clearwater hilton

and a 1 3/4 hour dolphin encounter cruise again with lunch

the tickets seem reasonably prices at £33 per adult and £25 per child

also how far is it to clearwater and it is a long car journey

thanks mizzy

Macka
26-01-2006, 13:44
Yes did one a few years ago.

I thought it was good, not luxury mine like yours [msnwink], no refreshments on mine either, but got to see dolphins and fishies and stuff which was the point. Nice boats, no rubbish and the pilot was professional, yes I'd recommend one Mizzy.

(take a jumper, hat and use sunscreen)

2 hours from Orlando.

Paul.

GrahamC
26-01-2006, 13:53
I would be interested in comments as well, It's something we were thinking of doing this summer.

Macka
26-01-2006, 14:04
If you're going form Orlando, I'd stop over personally, especially if you haven't done the gulf coast before, you could have a mooch around, maybe do St. Pete.

S'nice the gulf coast is.[msnsmile2]

pieman790
26-01-2006, 14:12
You can get to Clearwater in just less than 2 hours from Orlando.
We have done the dolphin trip and it was great. Have also eaten at the Clearwater Hilton and it was average.
If those price are correct then for a trip and lunch they seem good value.

LiesaAnna
26-01-2006, 14:15
when we do manage to get to florida, that is the top of the list to do!!

mizzy
26-01-2006, 14:16
yes the prices are correct,it is a reputable website (uk company) and i have bought tickets from them in the past with no problems

we are looking to do this as an altenative to discovery cove which we did on our last visit

Mizzy

wow got to add i have just found out that this includes bus transfers from orlando seems even better value now

SteveW
26-01-2006, 14:35
We love the Seascreamer... www.seascreamer.com and very good value I think. Kids love it and talk about it for days.

mizzy
26-01-2006, 14:45
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by SteveW
We love the Seascreamer... www.seascreamer.com and very good value I think. Kids love it and talk about it for days.

[/quote]

would love to do this also but it's a bit too fast and furious for my children but looks fantastic for braver kids/teens[msnsmile2]

mizzy

Aiminghigh
26-01-2006, 15:36
We stayed at St Pete's about 15 years ago and did a boat trip to Shell Island. I don't think, from memory, it was an "organised" trip as such, but we loved it. Shell Island was great but, from what I remember, there was no shade there so take protective clothing/sunscreen etc. Also, at that time, I don't think they sold refreshments anywhere so take drinks/snacks.

steph_goodrum
26-01-2006, 17:19
We did the boat trip/Tampa Bay aquarium trip a couple of years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it.

christhear
26-01-2006, 18:40
We went on the speedboat (faster than the screamer) in August. Was on it for between 90 mins and 120 mins. Didn't find many dolphons but he did keep trying. You end up by going past all the stars mansions.

The only thing is to watch out for sunburn. The boat was much to fast to keep any hats on and only with the wind you canget a bit burnt on the face and forhead - probably need factor 50 for this trip.

Also you get to have a go at steering the boat.

Genie
26-01-2006, 18:49
We did a catamaran trip at Clearwater , that was great. If you want a good trip have a look at www.swimdolphin.com they do all sorts of trip s. My favourite is the 2 day Keys trip , you get picked up in Orlando , the coach takes you down to Key Largo, you get a trip into a Gator farm where you also do an airboat ride. They have a beach BBQ and you stay the night there ( smashing little tiki bar next door where you can sip a cocktail or two and watch the sunset.) The next day you can for $100 extra swim with the dolphins and then they take you back via Miami , a quick look round the shops and a cruise, then back to Orlando for that evening. A brilliant trip we have done it 3 times and all for $199.

ALR
26-01-2006, 20:18
We went to Clearwater but didn't do the dolphin trip. However, we have been on a dolphin trip before. Your kids will really enjoy it. The dolphins swim up at the front of the boat and it's a great photo opportunity. The dolphins we saw out at sea were much smaller than the dolphins at Discovery cove though.

Sharon G
26-01-2006, 20:36
This sounds just up my street:D:D[msncool]

andrew01
26-01-2006, 21:58
We spent a nice day at John's Pass just down the road from Clearwater. They have a selection of boat trips which we really enjoyed.

Margaret

Mags
26-01-2006, 23:59
We went on this one last week and had a great time and we both got to drive it which was fab and the ladies hairstyles from the wind are good too.

http://www.thrillerboatrides.com/

Pegasus928
29-01-2006, 01:28
When we were in Orlando last year the whole family took a day trip to Clearwater to go on a dolphin spotting trip. www.dolphinadventure.us/tours.htm is the one we used and I must say it was amazing. It was a small boat which made it feel a bit special. We saw lots of dolphins including a baby jumping with his family. Didn't book in the UK but phoned from the villa as we left for Clearwater and booked on the afternoon sailing. The crew were very helpful and refreshments are available on board.

Can't wait to do it again when we go in March.

[msnsmile]