PDA

View Full Version : Some people just don't want to leave Florida!!!

24-01-2006, 11:12
Man jumps out of plane onto tarmac in Ft. Lauderdale!!!

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. (AP) -- A passenger on a commercial flight jumped out of the airplane as it prepared to take off today from Fort Lauderdale.

The Broward Sheriff's Office says the man was detained on the tarmac by officers who used a stun gun to subdue him.

The flight crew told authorities he ran up the aisle, banged on the cockpit and then jumped out of a door onto the tarmac. He was taken to a hospital.

Authorities say he will be arrested once he's out of the hospital.

Continental flight 408 was headed from the Fort Lauderdale/Hollywood International Airport to a Newark, N.J. airport. The flight had been delayed after passengers boarded because of weather conditions on the flight path.

The plane was carrying 116 passengers and a crew of five.

LiesaAnna
24-01-2006, 11:34
one of my worst fears!!!!
and i will say no more!

24-01-2006, 12:07
Don't worry Liesa it was still on the ground!!! Very hard to open a door inflight, very hard![msnwink]

LiesaAnna
24-01-2006, 12:15
phew................thanks Julie, very glad to hear that, its my worst fear, honestly!!![msnscared]

RIS
24-01-2006, 13:12
Liesa

Please don't worry. For ‘hard’ read ‘nearly impossible’ it’s the way the doors are designed. They have to open in before they open out so unless the aircraft is de-pressurised it can’t be done. [msnsmile]

24-01-2006, 13:22
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by RIS
Liesa

Please don't worry. For ‘hard’ read ‘nearly impossible’ it’s the way the doors are designed. They have to open in before they open out so unless the aircraft is de-pressurised it can’t be done. [msnsmile]
[/quote]

Thanks Roger I wasn't 100% sure if it was 'nearly impossible' so thanks for that[msnwink]

wrpac00
24-01-2006, 13:34
They mentioned the other night on the news when that drunken Irish guy went mad on that flight from Mexico that had to put down in Orlando. They had an aircraft expert who said it was 'impossible' to open the door in flight due the pressure differential.

LiesaAnna
24-01-2006, 14:52
honestly i do believe thats my absolute worst fear!!!!!!!!![sick][sick][sick][msncry] makes me cringe just thinking "what if..........."

glad he got tazered!!! hope it hurt!

wrpac00
24-01-2006, 15:56
Liesa,

I know what you mean but if you compare it with a submarine, the pressure is on the outside and the doors open outwards against the pressure which is impossible to do unless you equal the pressure first. With an aircraft the pressure is inside the plane so it keeps the door tight and could not be opened unless the pressure was equalized first.

So really it is not "what if......." so you can calm down now Liesa[msnwink][msnsmile2]

LiesaAnna
24-01-2006, 17:21
Paul, i thankyou, still hope the tazer hurt him[msnwink] wont do that again in a hurry[msnwink]

SunLover
24-01-2006, 18:01
These stories always sound alarming, but I guess what we all have to remember is that there are literally hundreds of thousands of flights that take off and land safely every single day.

Occasionally when something like this does happen it's reported everywhere as it is regarded as "news worthy", and often the way these things are reported gives the impression that it is a common occurrance.

Let's face it, flying is the safest way to travel bar none, and we should also spare a thought for the crews on board who fly on an almost daily basis. Do you think they would do the job if they felt they were in danger every time they went to work ? Of course not.

24-01-2006, 18:52
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by SunLover
These stories always sound alarming, but I guess what we all have to remember is that there are literally hundreds of thousands of flights that take off and land safely every single day.

Occasionally when something like this does happen it's reported everywhere as it is regarded as "news worthy", and often the way these things are reported gives the impression that it is a common occurrance.

Let's face it, flying is the safest way to travel bar none, and we should also spare a thought for the crews on board who fly on an almost daily basis. Do you think they would do the job if they felt they were in danger every time they went to work ? Of course not.
[/quote]

Exactly!!! I did not post this thread to scare anyone, and as I flew for 21 years I know its the safest form of travel, without a shadow of doubt!!!!!

Benny
24-01-2006, 19:35
Its always the simple things that keep you in safe hands.I have never thought how they keep the doors closed and locked on a plane.Its so simple yet effective.

ALR
24-01-2006, 19:36
:DIt's good to have someone like you on here, Julie, who can put everyones mind at rest.[msnsmile]

orlandodaze
27-01-2006, 04:46
I have no mercy what so ever for people who commmit airrage crimes. I believe that they should be relieved off their passport and never allowed fly on any airline . Its too dangerous , its too frightening for adult passengers not to mention children , and totally unfair to expect airline crews to cope with these peoples loutish behavior. Everyone is aware that one drink on board an airplane is the equevelient of two on the ground . Most of us tend to stick to water apart from the glass of wine with dinner , after all you feel so much fresher when you reach your destination .Sorry for being so grumpy but I do feel very strongly about this issue.

LiesaAnna
27-01-2006, 11:38
here here Olive!!![clap][clap][clap] i still wonder why they serve alcholic drinks on board the planes!! wish they would stop it!!!!
as i said before i have a couple of fears nasty ones in my opinion, my worst is wasps, and the second is fear of flying!! and i manage it really well now but when you have the added worry that some dipstick may try and start onboard then its scarey!! as i said above i hope the tazer hurt!!!

orlandodaze
28-01-2006, 05:50
I suppose we have to remember that when we travel the vast majority of people are just like ourselves people who have worked hard to afford to go on holiday , they have their fears of flying and all that it entails nowadays . They just want to reach their destination safe and in one piece and that thankfully the lager louts are few and far between . Liesa may your family and mine continue to travel to Florida in safety and comfort for many ,many years to come.

chrisflowers
28-01-2006, 10:29
Leisa - have you tried a tazer?
You would not want to......... from those who have had it done to them in practice, it is extremely painful!!!!!!

LiesaAnna
28-01-2006, 14:03
so what you saying Chris??? it hurt? well hopefully he wont be opening plane doors again whilst theyre moving!!!!! i am not an aggressive person but it took my husband 15 years of trying to persuade me into going abroad and i love it so much but still have this fear of take off and landing, i can over come the feelings of being up in the sky with the help of valium!!
i guess this guy is sick or something because its not the actions of a "sane" person?
you only need to hear one story like that and it can and does put people off of getting on a plane!

he wont put me off!!! have come to far with my fears! just wanna know his name so i can see if hes ever on the planes im on!![msnwink] then i will catch the next one![msnwink][msnwink] (joking)
Olive i agree with you!!traveling in comfort and safety to florida and any other destination we choose to go to!!