PDA

View Full Version : flights 2007

kay9jess
23-01-2006, 19:57
is it me or have the flights got a lot more expensive,i paid £550 per adult for oct 2005,now there up tp £750 to £850 for the same period,and yet in nov 2006 there 420.i know this is market forces but the prices are fast reaching the point where is just not feasible to go in school holidays.[msnmad] does anyone feel the same....i am trying to put a package together for 10 in 2007 but he prices are just horrendous...

23-01-2006, 20:20
Oh Yes, its getting silly for July/August now[msnmad]

Homer
23-01-2006, 20:34
And then they wonder why people take their kids out of school for holidays

I thought that the "Travel Operators" were gong to sort it all out with pressure from goverment sources but obviously not!!!

With 2 kids I often feel "priced out" of standard school holiday times and just plump for September instead

Daylight robbery and shool holidays should be placed in the dictionary together if you ask me!

mizzy
23-01-2006, 20:55
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Homer
And then they wonder why people take their kids out of school for holidays

I thought that the "Travel Operators" were gong to sort it all out with pressure from goverment sources but obviously not!!!

With 2 kids I often feel "priced out" of standard school holiday times and just plump for September instead

Daylight robbery and shool holidays should be placed in the dictionary together if you ask me!
[/quote]

our local education authority allows children 10 days from school per year for family holidays as it is commonly recognised that not all working parents can have their holidays during the school break

do you not have something similar?

i always use my 10 days as it is better for our family to go away during the quieter season

and i usually ask the teacher if there is any project that the children will be able to carry on with into their holiday time

eg my sons class were doing all about the weather and hurricanes so on our visit to florida he had a chart to record the weather and we encouraged him to take lots of photographs of the sunrise and sunset and yes even the downpours so he could "share" when he returned to class

Mizzy

becbecs
23-01-2006, 20:59
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by kay9jess
is it me or have the flights got a lot more expensive,i paid £550 per adult for oct 2005,now there up tp £750 to £850 for the same period,and yet in nov 2006 there 420.i know this is market forces but the prices are fast reaching the point where is just not feasible to go in school holidays.[msnmad] does anyone feel the same....i am trying to put a package together for 10 in 2007 but he prices are just horrendous...
[/quote]

Your not on your own in thinking that flight prices are getting too high in Holiday season, we to are thinking of taking the kids out of school also. Where looking at going Xmas/New Year 06 but are seriuosly considering taking the kids out of school a week early just to hopefully get a better deal on flights.

Tonish
23-01-2006, 21:03
This is a pet subject of mine and one which gets steam blowing out of my ears. Orlando is a family destination. I've got 4 kids. Just priced it up for comparison this afternoon.

£5200 for flights
£555 for car hire
£1900 for villa hire (3 weeks)

Total £7655, before you go to any theme parks or buy any food, or spend any money in the malls.

I know you can save bits and pieces here and there - fly indirect, get cheaper villa etc, but it saves humdreds of pounds if you're lucky, not thousands.

It's a serious rip off in school holiday time and I send letters to the airlines all the time protesting about it. I'm a school governor and see many kids being removed from school during term time for this reason. I can't protest too much about it because I've got real sympathy for the parents. I'm putting pressure on my MP via the school board and the LEA etc to protest to the travel companies as well.

I get a real "grumpy old man" syndrome about it

Homer
23-01-2006, 21:15
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:our local education authority allows children 10 days from school per year for family holidays as it is commonly recognised that not all working parents can have their holidays during the school break

do you not have something similar?
[/quote]

Mizzy I dont know if they have or have not but all I know is that at the end of the day they are my kids and if I want to take them out then out they will be going, regardless of any council or education jobsworths who say otherwise.

We ensure that they keep a travel diary and also that they take some work with them that coupled with some wildlife spotting and some fun makes up for the loss of a couple of weeks in my eyes.

If they spent more time on getting the kids who hardly attend school instead of punishing those who do we would be in a better place

(Rant over thank you[msnwink])

ALR
23-01-2006, 21:27
As long as your children's attendance is 92% or above you are allowed to take 10 days authorised absence. You will need to fill in a holiday form. School's may send letters saying that they are authorised to fine people but if your child's attendance is above average it shouldn't be a problem.

I take my children out of school during term-time which is frowned upon by some people but my son suffered serious injuries at school and I arranged for him to go swimming with Dolphins to aid his recovery, and he gained far more from this experience than spending two weeks at school.

ALR

dawn
23-01-2006, 21:46
Even by just taking the children out a few days earlier than the end of term you may find a significant saving - worth a look?

Paula D-S
23-01-2006, 21:55
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by dawn
Even by just taking the children out a few days earlier than the end of term you may find a significant saving - worth a look?
[/quote]

We found this for July, by taking my daughter out of school 4 days early we saved £500.00 with Virgin

christhear
23-01-2006, 22:16
Think of the education your children get when they visit PArks like Sea World, Space Centre and Epcot. My son can identify most breeds of penguins and is quite knowledgeable in the Space field. He has not learnt this at school but in Florida.

His homework for the last 2 weeks has been changing words like was not and does not to wasn't and doesn't.

I think Florida is educating him better than school sometimes.

domster
24-01-2006, 01:30
With the flight prices try Charter as well as Scheduled. Sometimes they offer seats cheaper than Virgin or BA. We flew last year on 24th July and paid £550 (upgraded seats) on Mytravel airways.

If not then the only other way is to fly indirect.

But I do agree that the airlines could drop the fares a little!