PDA

View Full Version : Booster Seats??

ujpest doza
23-01-2006, 19:42
I have just been looking at car hire for next christmas and i was given the option of :-

a baby seat
a child seat (1-3)
a child seat (3+)
or a booster seat.

In the US what exactly is a booster seat?

If i can get away with not taking my own i might do so as it was a slight inconveniance last year and even though our luggage was off the plane quick and we were first through immigration, our car seat and buggy didn't come off the plane until all of the other passengers suitcases had which meant we last out of the arrivals hall and into the car hire depot.

23-01-2006, 20:11
As far as I know they are the same as UK booster seats, I still take my own as the car hire ones have always looked a bit grubby[msnscared]

A tip, if you box them up they go in the same hold as the luggage and come out with your bags and not on the odd sized luggage area[msnwink]

stabard
23-01-2006, 20:13
My son who is 7 uses a bookster seat. We bought ours at Walmart fo $19 and it served us well.

23-01-2006, 20:19
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by stabard
My son who is 7 uses a bookster seat. We bought ours at Walmart fo $19 and it served us well.
[/quote]

Me too, great value and much more choice than at home[msnsmile2]

linsan
23-01-2006, 21:40
We bought a booster seat from Walmart for around $15 and had a drinks holder at the side. We bought this for our visiting 4yr old niece and will now leave at the villa for future guests to use.

Jayboy4444
24-01-2006, 16:02
Hire a mini van with integrated car seats!

blott
24-01-2006, 18:16
Here are the Florida regulations so what type of seat/booster depends on your child's weight or age or height:

Infants/ Toddlers/ Young Children
Birth &gt; 1 year/ Over 1 year/ Age 4-8 & over
At least 20-22lbs/ 20 - 40lbs/ 40 lbs unless 4' 9"

Type of seat Infant only/ Convertible/ Booster seat for belt positioning

Seat Rear position only/ Forward facing/ Forward facing

Make sure always rear facing/ Harness at or below shoulders/ Booster seat with lap and shoulder belt

All children 12 years of age or under should ride in the back seat

Never use an infant seat on the front seat where there is an airbag.

Bookworm
25-01-2006, 22:35
We have found it simpler to take our own. We've never had a problem with it on the aircraft and you sometimes find you have to wait a bit longer for your car if they have to fit a seat as well.

Sputnick
27-01-2006, 23:33
As Jayboy 4444 says if you get a minivan / people carrier they are incorporated in the seat backs, just pull down and use the belts.
We took our own boosters but never used them.

millie
28-01-2006, 01:50
We always ask for a minivan with integrated car seats for a few reasons:

1) The time we took the car seat supplied by the hire company (Dollar) I was worried sick. It attached by a hook on the backpassenger shelf so it swung from side to side along the back seat and was not secure at all. Especially with the seats being leather. They changed it for the same seat so surprise surprise the same thing again. It was only after getting a nice guy at the Dollar office and our air con breaking down he changed us (upgraded us!) to a minivan that had the integral car seats.

2) They are so safe. The work like ordinary seatbelts so tighten under stress. Basically a little flap goes down on the seat and there is a 5 point harness for the child to sit in. As they are basiclaly sitting on the seat it is comfortable for them and allows them to spread out. (some seats are a bit constricting and hot!). The seats also tilt back so they can doze off.

I would either do this or buy one when you are there if you don't want to take your own. Don't trust the hire company to give you one which you feel is safe. They come wiht no instructions and the staff will not tell you how to put it in for fear of being sued if it is not right. Its a big gamble.

As soemone has already said Walmart is good value and you may find it useful in future.

Lx

Paula D-S
28-01-2006, 02:18
I have took a car seat when my youngest was a baby, we took it on the flight and paid for a seat so she was more comfortable. Now I take my own booster seats I put them in a large holdall flying out and returning the airport staff placed them in a luggage sack, never been a problem.