PDA

View Full Version : Driving standards slipped!

Champagne
23-01-2006, 17:24
We're just back from Orlando and, as regulars there, have to admit that we found the standard of driving much worse than in our previous visits.

US drivers have always changed lane without warning and wandered from lane to lane but this time were even more inconsiderate and virtually took our front wing with them on a couple of occasions! We managed to stay out of serious danger but only because my beloved is an excellent defensive driver.

Be warned those of you who, like us, have always loved driving over there!

pieman790
23-01-2006, 17:39
We have been many times now and never had any problems with the standard of driving. It is differant over there in that you can over take in any lane but this also means that you dont have to keep on switching lanes.
Having said that the standard of driving over here in the UK seem to have become more aggressive and faster.

wrpac00
23-01-2006, 18:03
I must admit I haven't noticed any significant difference in the driving standards in Florida over the past 5 years but I think all over the world the general standard has gone down.

stabard
23-01-2006, 18:08
THe only hassle we had with driving standards was when we were in the car with my father in law who was very scary. Thank heavens other drivers were able to avoid him when he did some of his more drastic manoevours [msnoo]

blott
24-01-2006, 05:24
We just got back too and the driving seemed to be the same as 'normal' to me - no better and no worse.

I still think that, in general, drivers in the US are more courteous than those in the UK.

McjohnjM
24-01-2006, 16:12
Sorry I have to agree with Champagne, after just returning home from Orlando, I noticed a difference in the driving, it has certainly gone more aggressive since our visit in 2004. However I have alway felt that Americans do not give way to other drivers as they enter a highway, I know it just the way they drive, but it is becoming more scary. Good job my husband drive most of the time.

Kim

davepat
24-01-2006, 21:28
I think it is the same wherever you drive - there's always someone who has to get there that little bit faster. With all that Florida sunshine, you'd think the drivers would relax. It could be it's the tourists that are driving a little too agressively - so much to see so little time, need to get there now!!

feathersonline
25-01-2006, 02:32
We've just returned as well, and can say that in our opinion, the driving standards are about the same as they've been for all our previous trips. US drivers do seem to be more tolerant of other road users than drivers in the UK, and in the Orlando area especially, I think they are even more tolerant as they know there are many tourists driving around who don't know the area very well, and are likely to pull off an amazing stunt trying to cross from one lane to another or even a drastic u-turn, when they realise they are heading the wrong way!!!

Paula D-S
25-01-2006, 10:16
I think American drivers are very tolerant of tourists. I've not yet drove myself and my husband only drove for the first time last year and he preffered driving there than here. Maybe this year when we get Sat Nav I will have a go..........it'll stop hubby from moaning about the shopping anyway