PDA

View Full Version : i need an idiots guide to sat nav

mizzy
23-01-2006, 13:37
i know that this is probably the most stupid question ever but here goes (in my defence i am blonde and a sat nav virgin) [msnwink]

lets say i am leaving the villa and want to go to the magic kingdom i have programmed the sat nav to direct me

on the way we see a nice restaurant and decide to stop off and eat

what happens when you get back into the car do you need to reprogram the sat nav or will it continue to guide to MK
or would you need the zip code of the restaurant to reprogram in order to continue your journey?

and does anyone think it would be a good idea to test drive one of these units in this country before we give it a go for real in orlando?

Mizzy

wrpac00
23-01-2006, 13:44
I have a Navman and have no experience on other Sat Nav systems but with that one it wouldn't matter if you stopped off.

It is pretty easy to continue a journey after a break, depending upon what version you get you should be able to pcik up your destination and it will recalculate the route for you.

Hope that helps a bit.

pieman790
23-01-2006, 13:44
If you have programmed to go to MK and you stop off then you press the button that says navigate to MK. The sat nav unit knows where you are and finds new directions. Its the same if you take a wrong turning it will find the best possible route from where you are.
We have a unit and have tried many times to fool it but it always comes up with a new route. You can even tell it to avoid tolls roads.

TonyBlenk
23-01-2006, 18:08
Mizzy,
I find it useful to have a list of locations either pre-programmed in or listed on a piece of paper, especially if they are not major locations.
For example if you know you will be visiting a particular hotel or restaurant you will not always be able to find it on SatNav unless you know the Zip code or actual street address.

blott
24-01-2006, 05:29
We've got a TomTom 300 and, if I turn it off in the middle of a journey somewhere, when I turn it on again it will 'remember' we didn't get to our destination and continue the instructions.

It's brilliant if you want to take a detour as it will always 'know' where you are (because of the satellite positioning) and constantly reprograms the directions for you if necessary.

Once you've tried one, you won't ever want to go back to boring old paper maps ever again!