PDA

View Full Version : Villa on Gulf Coast.

Patkin
19-01-2006, 11:36
Hello Everyone,

We are regular visitors to Florida for the last 9 years and have always stayed around the Orlando/Disney area.
This year we are feeling adventurous and are considering renting a Villa somewhere on the Gulf coast, however we are a little concerned that it may be just too quiet.
We realise that everyone has a different opinion on Holidays in Florida but any advice on things to do, Shopping (any Malls similar to Orlando) that type of thing would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

Macka
19-01-2006, 12:23
Hiya Patkin.

Well now, if you have kids, then the decision will be harder I guess. If you all like the beach then don't hesitate. That said, if you choose the right place then there is still lots to do. I'd say Clearwater/St. Petersburg should be appropriate for a first visit, there's more to do within reach than anywhere else and would be a great way to sample the gulf coast for a first time. I'd say it's not the prettiest of Gulf area's (but don't get me wrong it's still beautiful) and a little more commercial but I think that might suit you for a first time as it's less risk.

The Gulf is just fantastic, sure it's not Orlando but that's the point. It really is a must see and I know you'd never regret it and become a convert like lots of us here.

You could also consider going there first? I've done it both ways now and they both have their merits. You could do the Gulf and still have the safety of the parks if you find it too quiet, (don't think you will though) Also, Fly into orlando and out of Tampa or vice versa at no extra cost if you go BA.

Ruth
19-01-2006, 12:26
We have 3 young children and every holiday we spend some time at the Gulf coast as we all love it. We stay in the Cape Haze/Englewood/Port Charlotte/Rotonda area as there are beautiful beaches, wonderful shopping, fantastic independent restaurants and it is much less crowded than Sarasota, Clearwater etc. There is plenty to do there. Give it a try. The Gulf coast villas which advertise on this site are a great place to start looking:)

Macka
19-01-2006, 12:27
Oooh sorry.

Shopping is a little more expensive on the coast but not much. The stuff however is different and in my opinion, you can get better quality stuff. There are Malls yes, but I've not seen one as big as say the Florida Mall. Maybe there is one in Clearwater or St. Petes it's been a while since we've been There.

Don't forget that Busch Gardens is close by in NW Tampa. there are wildlife trips to do if that Floats your boat, Dolphin/Manatee sightseeing trips, museums, and for us the most important thing, the restaurants are in the main, better, and lots of top drawer seafood.

I could go on but it'll get boring.[msnwink]

andrewmckay5
19-01-2006, 13:04
Hi Peter,
as a quick starting point take a look at these threads and the links in them:

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/topic_22972.asp

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/topic_22923.asp

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/topic_12502.asp

Hope this helps.

andrew

Katys Grandad
19-01-2006, 14:27
I'm not an owner so I think I'm entitled to say that there are some great villas on the Gulf Coast through the links above. Because I have an on-going rental arrangment with a friend, I've not stayed at any but I have seen a couple of them and wouldn't hesitate to do so.

Patkin
20-01-2006, 00:37
Thanks everyone,

Everyone can always rely on this forum to get great advice on any Florida topic.
We have no Children now just very grown up ones, so we will be alone, so relaxation will be our main priority,and the gulf coast seems to fit the bill, having said that a little shopping now and again seems to keep the boss happy, and if we do get the urge for our disney fix it's not a million miles away.
Thanks again for all your advice.

mollymolly
20-01-2006, 02:36
Hi Patkin

You will certainly get "relaxation" if you head for Rotonda West. The life style is laid back, with friendly people, beautiful beaches nearby, gorgeous homes & plenty to do if you feel energetic. If you like to shop then there is a choice of Sarasota with its malls, a great mall at port Charlotte or the designer Outlet at Ellenton.

Enjoy!

www.orlandovillas.com/florida-vacation-rental-2248.aspx

chrizzy100
20-01-2006, 04:02
We like the coast and stay in a friends Condo in Vero beach...we are hoping he will leave it to us in his will.....[msnsmile2][msnsmile2]

nrbeard
23-02-2006, 01:28
We have 3 kids & have been going to the Gulf Coast (Sarasota / Bradenton) for 5 years now....... we love it! We have done the theme parks (day excursions from the Gulf Coast) .... in fact the kids don't even ask about them now and so its the Gulf Coast with its fantastic beaches (Siesta Beach , Sarasota and Anna Maria Island are our favourites).

Having said that, it is only 1hr 30 mins to Orlando from Bradenton and so excursions are easy if that is what you want to do. Some people do an overnight in a motel and do 2 parks in 2 days.

Loads to do on the sports front ... golf courses are just unbeatable value with some great homes for rent.

Neil

Robert5988
23-02-2006, 02:22
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:We like the coast and stay in a friends Condo in Vero beach...we are hoping he will leave it to us in his will.....[/quote]

As this is the Gulf cosat forum and just in case people can't find Vero Beach on the map[?], it is on the other side of Florida (Atlantic Coast) about 90 miles South East of Orlando.

Mo Green
23-02-2006, 04:11
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by mollymolly
Hi Patkin

If you like to shop then there is a choice of Sarasota with its malls, a great mall at port Charlotte or the designer Outlet at Ellenton.
[/quote]

.........and another designer outlet at Fort Myers.