PDA

View Full Version : Travel City Direct

abbeyvillas
17-01-2006, 21:19
We've been told that Travel City have just got 3 new jumbo's, has anyone else heard this or has anyone been on them yet?

Robert5988
17-01-2006, 21:24
How do you define 'New'?

17-01-2006, 22:42
To answer your question re age of TCD 'new' 747-300's here are some examples

TF-AME Travel City Direct Boeing 747-312 first flight 17.10.1984 so 21 years old, 9 previous livery changes with different airlines.

TF-AMJ Travel City Direct Boeing 747-312 first flight 01.02.1984 almost 22 years old, 16 previous livery changes with different airlines.

Hope this helps!

wrpac00
18-01-2006, 00:40
Didn't TCD just come at the bottom of a poll??? I don't know if it was for service, after service or just everything.

Dopeysfriend
18-01-2006, 01:08
Yet another thread dissing down TCD! Yawn.

gail and david roberts
18-01-2006, 01:15
well sorry to say
we have been with them 5 times now
and find them okay
came back at the weekend 14th/15th January 06
both flight where on time
New years eve (Manchester)
and this Sunday
plane's was very clean , staff nice and helpful
All Leather seats and more Leg room
2 Adults and 2 Kids £1400 with Car and all Insurance

wrpac00
18-01-2006, 02:46
I don't think anyones 'dissing' TCD down on this thread. I have never travelled with them so I wouldn't have a clue, I am just saying what I read on another forum. Having gone back on that forum to check what it was for it was for their lack of customer service.

Julie was only pointing out that their 'new' planes are in fact 21 & 22 years old and Gail has had no problems with them at all. I think you may be over reacting somewhat 'dopeysfriend'.

Dopeysfriend
18-01-2006, 10:33
Paul

Gail posted her reply after mine. I could just see the way the thread was heading. As they always do when TCD are mentioned. I just feel its getting very tiresome.

Christine

djdigitald
18-01-2006, 11:30
Christine

This is an open forum where people can air their views on certain matters irrespective of how many times this has been done previously. People can say what they want (Within reason) when they want and at the end of the they are only an individuals views (Although i have to say it seems a lot of people feel the same way).

As this is an open forum, If you do not like what you read you do not have to read it or reply to it.

The way i feel is that if TCD didn't deserve all this attention they wouldn't get it.

Macka
18-01-2006, 13:09
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Robert5988
How do you define 'New'?
[/quote]

[laugh][laugh][laugh]

We can always rely on you Robert!!

Robert5988
18-01-2006, 13:50
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote: I could just see the way the thread was heading. As they always do when TCD are mentioned. I just feel its getting very tiresome.
[/quote]

I would agree with you about the same subjects being raised time and again and TCD is very much a case in point.

A relatively small number of people are ‘regulars’ here and those of us who visit often are well aware of the differing and strongly held views about that particular organisation.

However it is easy to forget that this is a public forum and there are many new ‘visitors’ who are not aware of the frequent posts on this subject. The phraseology of the original post on this thread might lead them, and even some regulars, to believe that TCD have suddenly been transformed into a ‘Flagship’ carrier with a fleet of modern aircraft. To my mind it is important that such a preposterous suggestion is refuted.

wrpac00
18-01-2006, 14:17
Christine,

I do think you over reacted after only 3 replies, I have no idea how this thread was going to develop so I am not sure how you did. Personally I have never commented about TCD before as I said I have never used them and it is extreamly unlikely that I will ever use them. It was just a coincidence after I had read some other things about them on another forum.

With the things that have been said in this forum plus what I have read on other forums they must have some problems otherwise all these people wouldn't be so irate [msneek]

18-01-2006, 15:38
For anyone who is intersted a recent review...............

22 December 2005

Travelled from Glasgow to Sanford on a Travel City Direct 747 operated by Air Atlanta Europer. Paid for a double upgrade to Sunshine First Upper deck (or something like that). If this was two upgrades I shudder to think what economy was like. Leg room average at best. Meal - average to poor, entertainment - poor (no seat back TVs). Staff ok, but could be clearly heard complaining about their pay and conditions. The plane appeared old and tatty. For what we paid for upgrades we could have gone on a proper aircraft. I've travelled Travel City many times and consider tham good value for money when I've flown Air 200, Thomas Cook, Airtours/MyTravel, however that 'TravelCityDirect jumbo gets built up to be a lot more than it is. Upgrades definitely not worth the money.
.................................................. .................
Christine these are not my words but a review from a reputable travel site[msnwink]

LiesaAnna
18-01-2006, 18:31
but you pick up the bad ones Julie, any good ones? am sure there are

18-01-2006, 18:39
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by LiesaAnna
but you pick up the bad ones Julie, any good ones? am sure there are
[/quote]

There are a few Liesa, but for every good one there are tons of bad[msnsad]

Because I live so close to Manchester Airport I see these aircaft taking off with some horrendous delays[msnscared]

janice
18-01-2006, 19:05
I have flown in the Sunshine First with TCD and had none of the experiences quoted, it was a pleasant flight with pleasant staff and good food, lots of legroom and on time and I have flown with many airlines, with differing upgrades, so it's down to the individual I think.

gail and david roberts
18-01-2006, 20:50
[quote]Originally posted by wrpac00
I don't think anyone 'dissing' TCD down on this thread.

I was only pointing out that we have never had a bad flight with them we must me very lucky

I have heard on other forum people Dissing them and that's after having bad flights.

but this company cant be that bad
or
they would go out of business wouldn't they????

wrpac00
18-01-2006, 21:46
That's the point I was making Gail, you had a good experience and although you hear good comments like yours there does seem to be a high % of bad comments as well. My comments were directed at Christine not you.

Dopeysfriend
18-01-2006, 21:48
I think there will always be two camps. Pro TCD and against TCD. The thread started about TCD having two new jumbo's.

Julie replied and answered the question.

Paul, your reply said about them being bottom of a poll. That had no relevance to the original comment about the jumbos.

It just seems like any excuse to have a go at TCD is used.

wrpac00
19-01-2006, 00:00
As I said Christine Julie pointed out that they were not NEW planes they were in fact 20+ years sold. As I have already pointed out to you it was coincidence that I had just read something about them on another forum. As Robert said there have been previous posts on here about them. You seem to be over-reacting about these comments in what is a forum for people to express their views (within reason and the rules of the forum).

I would suggest if you don't like reading detrimental things about TCD don't visit this part of the forum again but then again you might be surprised and find lots of nice things said about them. That's the thing with a forum you find out lots of things, both good and bad, like I have just found out about the hotel I had booked for 2 nights in the summer which I now find out is a complete dump. It is up to me whether I believe that or not (I tend to) as it is with people who read the comments about TCD.

19-01-2006, 15:51
Maybe Christine has shares in TCD LOL!!!![msnwink]

janice
20-01-2006, 17:43
HA HA BORING!!!!!

alastair
20-01-2006, 18:55
Is an over 20 year old 747 less safe than an over 20 year old Concorde? I only mention it as other forum threads seem to indicate that forum members who would not be happy to travel on an aged 747, would have no hesitation flying on Concorde if it were still flying.

20-01-2006, 20:36
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by alastair
Is an over 20 year old 747 less safe than an over 20 year old Concorde? I only mention it as other forum threads seem to indicate that forum members who would not be happy to travel on an aged 747, would have no hesitation flying on Concorde if it were still flying.
[/quote]

No not at all, as you may know I worked on Concorde for many years and I have flown on new and old aircraft.

In my view its not the age of the aircraft that is important its how it has been maintained for those years. I was lucky as BA had most aircraft from new for many years so the maintenance was very good and very consistant.

The aircraft that TCD aircraft have often been leased and possibly maintained by many other airlines over many years, as you will note from my earlier post.

I have no problem flying on an older 747-200/300 if it is in very good condition, has been well maintained, and is well fitted out in the cabin and is up to date for inflight comfort and is with an airline I know well and trust!

Here are the main differences between the 747-200's, 300's and 400's.........

The -200 Series
In late 1970, Boeing offered an improved ``higher performance'' version of the 747, the 747-200 series. Most changes were with thrust ratings of newer Pratt & Whitney engines, greater fuel capacity (and thus range), higher gross takeoff weight, and many other more minor changes. Among the first airlines that took delivery of this version were Northwest and Air India. Externally, there is very little to distinguish initial 200 series from 100 series...

Except for one thing: the upper deck windows. Plane spotters at the time thought that they could easily distinguish between the two types because in late 1971, 747's started to appear with ten (not three) windows on each side, effectively ``filling in'' the widely spaced three windows of the 100 series. Most, but not all 200 series aircraft have this feature. Boeing decided to offer the ``ten-window look'' as an option in 1970 to all 747 customers, including those still taking delivery of 100 series aircraft, and eventually made it a standard feature of the -100. Therefore, some 747-100 aircraft (for example, several received by Japan Airlines and All Nippon Airways) were delivered with the ``ten-window look'' on the upper deck.

To confuse things further, the very first -200 series aircraft only had three windows on top, making them appear to be -100 series aircraft. (Northwest and Air India received -200's with both three and ten windows). Additionally compounding things was United, whose management at the time felt it needed to get the ``200 look'' look on its original batch of -100's, and sent several back to Boeing in 1972 for more upper-deck windows, so that all of its newer -100's (all by then being delivered with ten windows standard) would appear the same.

One final note on upper deck windows. Customers had the option to ``blank out'' windows at the factory or later after the aircraft were in service. One may see a ``ten window'' pattern with only seven or eight windows, because the windows on either end are plugged or blanked out. (A faint outline of the window opening is generally visible.) Even on the original three-window configuration, some customers opted to blank out one of the three to accommodate new galley configurations (as Pan Am did with many of its -121's during the 1980's, on the left side only).

The moral of the story: don't jump to conclusions based solely on the number of windows. A truly dedicated plane spotter will search out an aircraft's registration number first (and, assuming they interpret it correctly), which will always reveal its true lineage.

During the remainder of the 1970's, the only other significant changes to the 747's appearance (for -100 and -200 models) revolved around engine types. Both GE (General Electric) and Rolls Royce (RR) introduced

alastair
20-01-2006, 23:41
Good maintenance practices are vital Julie, but even BA are having many problems in that area and as you point out there aircraft are not so old.

BRITISH AIRWAYS jets have suffered mid-air failures because of “systemic” problems with their maintenance, air accident investigators have revealed.
After inquiries into four mid-air incidents, the investigators say that there are safety problems that may be “widespread within the organisation”. They warn that it appears that shoddy working practices are accepted as the norm by some maintenance staff.

According to aviation analysts, the criticism from the government’s Air Accident Investigation Branch (AAIB) is unprecedented for an airline that has won a reputation for being one of the best maintained fleets in the world.

Evidence of slipshod work in BA’s maintenance hangars included:

A door ripping off a Boeing 777 at 6,000ft which gouged the fuselage and narrowly missed a couple walking below when it landed. Maintenance engineers had failed to check that the door was shut properly after an inspection.

Fuel gushing out of a hole in the fuel tank of a BA jet shortly after takeoff from Heathrow, leaving a two-mile vapour trail. The screws and cap that should have plugged the hole had been removed and left inside the fuel tank.

A Boeing 757 that responded abnormally to flight controls. Two of the jet’s wing panels were found to have been left on a storage rack in a hangar by maintenance staff.

Pilots forced to put on oxygen masks and land their Boeing 757 as their cabin filled with oil fumes. Engineers were later confirmed to have put too much oil in the jet.
Accident investigators are also studying a flight to Budapest last October during which the air crew heard a clunking sound. Simultaneously, the flight deck went dark and the navigation display, flight display and autopilot all failed — although the cause has not yet been established.

The AAIB’s concerns about the failures in BA’s maintenance regime over the past three years are highlighted in a report on the Boeing 757 which took off in September 2003 without two wing panels.

The flight — from Heathrow to Paris — also suffered from oil fumes in the cabin, which was the initial reason why the crew decided to abort the flight. It was found that the engine oil had been serviced incorrectly.

As the captain prepared to land and the autopilot was disconnected, the plane started drifting to the right, forcing him to take corrective action.

The accident inspectors highlight similar failures with a BA flight from Gatwick to Antigua in June 2003 that lost an underwing maintenance door in mid-flight.

They say the failure to check that the wing panels were installed on the Paris flight “seems not to have been an isolated case, but more symptomatic of the existing culture”.

They add: “Ineffective supervision of maintenance staff had allowed working practices to develop that had compromised the level of airworthiness control and had become accepted as the ‘norm’. Maintenance errors were not the result of wilful negligence, or any desire to perform a less than satisfactory job, but the result of a combination of systemic issues that had increased the probability of an error being committed.”

David Learmount of Flight International magazine said: “I’ve never seen a report like this before from the AAIB. They are saying, ‘It has already happened once and you’re still screwing up’. There’s no excuse for what has happened.”
A flight from Heathrow to Istanbul in November 2003 also reported oil fumes in the cabin; the plane flight from London Heathrow to Budapest. The captain flew on using manual control and peered through the cockpit window at the night-time horizon to keep the wings level.

The crew sent out a mayday call but they could not be heard because the radio had also failed. Most of the systems were restored after about two minutes and the flight continued to Budapest. Maintenance staff checked the plane on landing but could not find the fault and did not st

kitty
21-01-2006, 00:00
Mach 2 we have flown before with tcd no problems,many people this year will be having their first dream holiday for them and their children travelling with tcd,do you think its a good idea quoting a whole flight manual which the average person will have no idea of its meaning,anybody reading this post will now be worried sick that the planes are vertually falling from the skies,unfortunately a lot of us cannot afford such luxuries as concorde etc but we try our best to make our familys holidays memoriable in a good way,not implanting the fear of god in them before their holiday even comes around[msnwink]

21-01-2006, 00:13
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by kitty
Mach 2 we have flown before with tcd no problems,many people this year will be having their first dream holiday for them and their children travelling with tcd,do you think its a good idea quoting a whole flight manual which the average person will have no idea of its meaning,anybody reading this post will now be worried sick that the planes are vertually falling from the skies,unfortunately a lot of us cannot afford such luxuries as concorde etc but we try our best to make our familys holidays memoriable in a good way,not implanting the fear of god in them before their holiday even comes around[msnwink]
[/quote]

Kitty I worked on Concorde I did not and could not afford to be a passenger on it!!!! [msnwink]

21-01-2006, 00:17
Alastair, I totally agree and my point was that age is not whats important, its how those aircraft are maintained!!![msnwink]

Dopeysfriend
21-01-2006, 00:39
Julie

Do you have shares in BA??

21-01-2006, 01:10
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Dopeysfriend
Julie

Do you have shares in BA??
[/quote]

No, I sold them all in 1998[msnwink] Made a very good profit on them too[msnwink]

Christine you and a couple of other members seem to to totally miss the point I constantly try to make!

I post the facts to inform, nothing more, nothing less.

I do dislike TCD and I make no secret of that fact, I dislike the whole ethos of the way the company operate. I dislike the fact that they advertise 'new' jumbos when in fact they are 20 years old!

There are people who have good on time flights with them which is great - but - and its a very big but - they are a company that you don't want to be with when things go wrong - and they do go wrong with alarming regularity with some terribly long delays and very bad customer service - so in my view forwarned is forearmed!!!!! End of story!

Dopeysfriend
21-01-2006, 01:17
Julie, I just asked the question cos you did. You answered the original question this thread was about and that was fine. Other people caused more debate about age of planes. Not me!!

kitty
21-01-2006, 01:23
You may not like them but my children are now worried sick about going this year after reading your remarks,so a holiday they should be looking forward to are now dreading

LiesaAnna
21-01-2006, 01:50
Kitty, tell the kids they will be fine and have a wonderful holiday in florida (assuming its florida);) i dreaded our last flight because we went for a cheaper flight and worried right up till we boarded! the plane was great (well where we were sitting was) near the very front of the plane, masses of leg room which was totally unexpected, had a brilliant flight over (even tho i was taken sick at the end) it was an old plane and we went with Air Atlanta, great flight, great crew,
way back we had many people on our flight as the plane was changed into 2 smaller ones due to technical faults we left on time and shared the flight home with many people who were booked with TCD, and they had a bl**dy wonderful time!! flight wasnt as good but not so bad on the way back, think it was just cos we didnt want to leave!
they will be fine!!! say Liesa said so!![msnwink]

Kazzie
21-01-2006, 02:16
I dont think it is a good idea to carry on arguing now. It is not fair to be making people nervous about flying when they have already booked their flights, just as Paul probably didnt want to hear that the hotel he has booked has been slated.

Kitty, maybe you shouldnt have let your children read what has been said on this thread, hope they forget about it and you have a good holiday.

Karen

RIS
21-01-2006, 02:44
Julie

I think the point being made about your posts is this. The information that you post may possibly be accurate however you are posting not on an aviation forum but on a forum that is essentially one for people planning holidays involving a long haul flight. Among those people will be many that have n inherent fear of flying. While you may believe these fears to be irrational for the people concerned they are no less real. I speak as one who has helped run a fear of flying course. It might possibly be helpful to consider these people before adding what I am sure are your well meaning posts.
Respectfully.

Frosty
21-01-2006, 02:56
My 2 cents.

Having just returned today with TCD i think i can add this.

I have flown twice before with TCD (some time ago), both times in economy but with extra legroom seats, they were bad, uncomfortable and i don't like the way they go to market.

But this time i was looking for a late booking and i still tried them to see what they could offer, luckily i snagged 2 seats in Sunshine First. They were cheap and whats more they mis-quoted and tried to get out of it, i stuck to my guns and got what they quoted.

The result, 2 very nice flights, the outbound about 30mins late, the return about 1 hour late, but no real problems there, most airline usually drop 30 mins or so.
The seats were excellent, in the nose cone, just 6 rows of 2 with an addittional 2 seats in the middle on row 6.
The nose cone is well nice, spacious, like upper deck but better. The food was nice, maybe a little too fancy but nice.
The crew were very nice, willing to help and do what they could.
All First class were issued with their own personal entertainment centre, this played movies, pre-recorded TV, games etc.

Summary,
If i had to pay full price for these seats (which i don't know how much) i would have to compare them with Virgin PE, if the price were same, i would say the TCD seats would be better.
Virgin have a better name, but the only time i flew with them in PE i got a 3 hour delay, (Everyone has problems sometime)
For the money, they were great and the experiance was excellent.

The only other thing i don't like about TCD, is the way they advertise their price on teletext, then add on silly extras to bump up the price.

Having said all this i still flew with them[msnwink]

21-01-2006, 11:00
You may not like them but my children are now worried sick about going this year after reading your remarks,so a holiday they should be looking forward to are now dreading
[/quote]

First, I have never in any of my posts commented that TCD were unsafe in any way!!!

Kitty - I stand by all my posts, if that is the case however I do think as a parent you should maybe monitor what your children read on the internet! Where in any of my posts am I, and I quote you "implanting the fear of God into them"?? I think if you read the posts properly you will note that Alastair asked about the safety of older aircraft!! I truly hope you have a wonderful on time flight without hitch!

Kazzie - I am not arguing with anyone just stating facts to help inform.

RIS - I do not believe any fear of flying to be irrational, but I understand your point, I also helped with fear of flying when I was at BA. I was the worlds worst passenger before I became cabin crew I was so nervous! My parents cannot believe that I went on to fly as a career for 21 years.

Frosty - I am so glad your flight went well and as you say delays can happen with any airline.

Jan - "HA HA BORING!!!!!" have I missed a joke that was some what boring or what???

I keep saying its the ethos of this company I dislike and their inherant mis leading advertising and bad customer service when flights are delayed etc! They have a very bad reputation for customer service or lack of it and ABTA are aware and have a very big file on them.

I have never commented or suggested that TCD were unsafe in anyway!!!

Rhosyn
21-01-2006, 11:47
I have 3 set of guests flying with TCD this summer 2 always fly with them, I will post their experiences when they return. Kitty don't worry you will have a great time.

sheenallan
21-01-2006, 12:29
We are going with TCD in April we usually go with them and so far have had no major problems just little annoying things that were soon put right, or in the case of when we took MIL who was 90 at the time with us, compensation because her seat in first class did not recline so we were having to play musical chairs so she could get some rest.
Sheena.

Benny
21-01-2006, 12:55
Mach 2,

IMO everyone is free to post whatever they want,this is a forum afterall.Time and time again you say you will never fly with them and the whole ethos (sp?) of them is bad.Just a suggestion but why dont you just let people make their own minds up over TCD when/if they fly with them.It is much better than planting doubts in their heads.

We dont need to be told how great BA are at keeping their planes in tip,top shape.If we wanted that then im sure we are capable of going to a search site.I dont want to sound nasty or horrible to you but nearly everytime a TCD thread has come up,you post something and its then a mass free-for-all.

Im flying with TCD this September for the first time,pervious before that it has been,Britania,Monarch,Air 2000,My Travel.I dont expect to be treated like a royal when a board,aslong as they are friendly,helpfull,dont have a long delay and i get to eat,then my flight has been good enough for me.

Katys Grandad
21-01-2006, 13:37
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Benny
Mach 2,

IMO everyone is free to post whatever they want,this is a forum afterall.Time and time again you say you will never fly with them and the whole ethos (sp?) of them is bad.Just a suggestion but why dont you just let people make their own minds up over TCD when/if they fly with them.It is much better than planting doubts in their heads.

We dont need to be told how great BA are at keeping their planes in tip,top shape.If we wanted that then im sure we are capable of going to a search site.I dont want to sound nasty or horrible to you but nearly everytime a TCD thread has come up,you post something and its then a mass free-for-all.

Im flying with TCD this September for the first time,pervious before that it has been,Britania,Monarch,Air 2000,My Travel.I dont expect to be treated like a royal when a board,aslong as they are friendly,helpfull,dont have a long delay and i get to eat,then my flight has been good enough for me.
[/quote]

I think you make a good point Benny - if your airline has friendly staff, the delays are not over long and there is food on board then you are happy.

Speaking entirely for myself, I think I would want more. Perhaps reliable and safe aircraft, in flight equipment that works, no delays and decent food. Each to his own I suppose.

Because these are my particular preferences, I no longer fly with TCD.

Benny
21-01-2006, 13:47
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:I think you make a good point Benny - if your airline has friendly staff, the delays are not over long and there is food on board then you are happy.

Speaking entirely for myself, I think I would want more. Perhaps reliable and safe aircraft, in flight equipment that works, no delays and decent food. Each to his own I suppose.

Because these are my particular preferences, I no longer fly with TCD.
[/quote]

But im sure you cannot say that every flight had equipment that didnt work.I know that they should be working but its no the be-all and end-all.IMO,the main thing is the actual holiday not the flight.Though it isnt very nice if you start off on a bad foot.

21-01-2006, 13:49
Mach 2,

[/quote]

Thank you for your kind feedback Benny.

[msnwink]

I hope you have a wonderful flight in Sept with TCD[msnwink]

Benny
21-01-2006, 13:53
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Mach 2
Mach 2,

[/quote]

Thank you for your kind feedback Benny.

[msnwink]

I hope you have a wonderful flight in Sept with TCD[msnwink]
[/quote]

Me too love,me too.[msnwink]

kitty
21-01-2006, 14:20
Mach 2 i do moniter what my children read on the internet as the computer is in my lounge but i didnt think the forum for their florida holiday is a bad web site to read,they also want to feel the excitement of the holiday we are going on and like to read up about things we will be doing to make their holiday a memoriable one.
Liesaanna thanks for that my youngest son and i are the worst for flying,i love it when its over but hate it at the time.When we went to florida 2 years ago we took off in a storm and my daughter was saying ooh isnt it nice as she watched the lightining around us.To me and my son uuh no[msnscared]

Katys Grandad
21-01-2006, 14:31
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:But im sure you cannot say that every flight had equipment that didnt work.I know that they should be working but its no the be-all and end-all.IMO,the main thing is the actual holiday not the flight.Though it isnt very nice if you start off on a bad foot.
[/quote]

No, that's true but I only flew with TCD on 1 return trip in thier Sunshine First. On both the outbound and inbound flights the seat mechanism for the recline and footrest didn't work and, according to the crew, hadn't done for a long time! I can therefore say that on every trip I have taken with them the equipment didn't work.

On the return leg, the 747 took off and after about 5 minutes there was an acrid rubber smell went through the cabin. The captain said that there was a 'slight hydraulic problem' and we flew over the Atlantic while the fuel was dumped. This took 30 fairly anxious minutes. We returned to Sanford where we sat for 7 hours without refreshment. We re-boarded the aircraft and were very happy to get home.

I take your point that the journey isn't the main part of the holiday but it is a significant one. If the accomodation or the attractions were of the same poor quality as the flight then I wouldn't use them again. Why therefore should I fly TCD again?

I'm not advising anybody else to follow my example, merely sharing my experience.

Robert5988
21-01-2006, 14:41
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:IMO everyone is free to post whatever they want,this is a forum afterall.Time and time again you say you will never fly with them and the whole ethos (sp?) of them is bad.Just a suggestion but why dont you just let people make their own minds up over TCD when/if they fly with them.It is much better than planting doubts in their heads.

Im flying with TCD this September for the first time,pervious before that it has been,Britania,Monarch,Air 2000,My Travel.I dont expect to be treated like a royal when a board,aslong as they are friendly,helpfull,dont have a long delay and i get to eat,then my flight has been good enough for me.[/quote]

Benny,
If there was to be a restriction placed on a subject in this forum being commented on "time and time again" there would be very few threads. Also nearly all the information and opinions expressed here are "available from a search engine".

If people should be allowed to "make up their own minds about TCD" then shouldn’t the same apply to people who ask any question on this Forum. e.g. What is Sea World like? Are Charter a good firm? etc etc. Or are only positive comments allowed?

This subject came up again because somebody raised the question of ‘new’ aircraft – having presumably read TCD’s claims - and this was answered in a factual manner by Mach 2. The controversy was started by others. It will undoubtedly get raised again when someone new to the forum asks the question about this company.

It is without dispute that TCD have a poor reputation. You, and others, might feel that is undeserved and have made the decision to use them and that is your prerogative. Not unnaturally people argue their case for that decision. However there seems to be readiness to ‘attack’ those who hold a different opinion; whilst probably not intended, it smacks of censorship.

If there is another thread on TCD in the future I will give my opinion and I hope Mach2 will not be intimidated either – somehow I don’t think she will be!

LiesaAnna
21-01-2006, 14:46
Mach 2 i do moniter what my children read on the internet as the computer is in my lounge but i didnt think the forum for their florida holiday is a bad web site to read,they also want to feel the excitement of the holiday we are going on and like to read up about things we will be doing to make their holiday a memoriable one.
Liesaanna thanks for that my youngest son and i are the worst for flying,i love it when its over but hate it at the time.When we went to florida 2 years ago we took off in a storm and my daughter was saying ooh isnt it nice as she watched the lightining around us.To me and my son uuh no[msnscared]
[/quote]

and as we have been told before this is a family forum!!! so all can read!!!!

kitty
21-01-2006, 14:55
my children love to read the comments on this forum,and we all enjoy looking at the photos which is nice to see other peoples experiences,it also helps us decide on daily trips etc,for instance last time we never went to celebration,but after reading up and seeing photos we intend to go there this year.The amount of info is excellent and well done to all who contribute to it.[clap]

Benny
21-01-2006, 15:04
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:IMO everyone is free to post whatever they want,this is a forum afterall.Time and time again you say you will never fly with them and the whole ethos (sp?) of them is bad.Just a suggestion but why dont you just let people make their own minds up over TCD when/if they fly with them.It is much better than planting doubts in their heads.

Im flying with TCD this September for the first time,pervious before that it has been,Britania,Monarch,Air 2000,My Travel.I dont expect to be treated like a royal when a board,aslong as they are friendly,helpfull,dont have a long delay and i get to eat,then my flight has been good enough for me.[/quote]

It is without dispute that TCD have a poor reputation. You, and others, might feel that is undeserved and have made the decision to use them and that is your prerogative.

I dont feel its undeserved as i have not been on one of their flights before.I just feel that if you have never been on their flight and just go on how they run etc...its not fair.I'll give my opinion on them when i have got home from my great holiday. [msnwink]

LiesaAnna
21-01-2006, 15:20
looking forward to it Benny!![msnwink]

alastair
21-01-2006, 16:23
A suggestion that may avoid future threads like this developing.

Unless we have recent personal experiences to share and as there is a myriad of information stored in the forum on various airlines. Would it not be better in future to point anyone asking for information to the search function and advise them where they can find historical info. This would allow them to read the posts at their leisure and would avoid repetitive postings on the same subject.

Robert5988
21-01-2006, 16:51
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote: A suggestion that may avoid future threads like this developing.

Unless we have recent personal experiences to share and as there is a myriad of information stored in the forum on various airlines. Would it not be better in future to point anyone asking for information to the search function and advise them where they can find historical info. This would allow them to read the posts at their leisure and would avoid repetitive postings on the same subject.[/quote]

This has happened with TCD in the past where people have posted the relevant link.

However in this case there was new information posted which, if true, would have made the previous threads redundant. If the simple factual answer had been accepted the thread might have died.

In the league table of repetitive subjects on this forum, TCD are way down the list.

21-01-2006, 19:34
[/quote]

and as we have been told before this is a family forum!!! so all can read!!!!
[/quote]

It is Liesa and I have not posted anything that is un family friendly[msnwink]

21-01-2006, 19:39

Benny,
If there was to be a restriction placed on a subject in this forum being commented on "time and time again" there would be very few threads. Also nearly all the information and opinions expressed here are "available from a search engine".

If people should be allowed to "make up their own minds about TCD" then shouldn’t the same apply to people who ask any question on this Forum. e.g. What is Sea World like? Are Charter a good firm? etc etc. Or are only positive comments allowed?

This subject came up again because somebody raised the question of ‘new’ aircraft – having presumably read TCD’s claims - and this was answered in a factual manner by Mach 2. The controversy was started by others. It will undoubtedly get raised again when someone new to the forum asks the question about this company.

It is without dispute that TCD have a poor reputation. You, and others, might feel that is undeserved and have made the decision to use them and that is your prerogative. Not unnaturally people argue their case for that decision. However there seems to be readiness to ‘attack’ those who hold a different opinion; whilst probably not intended, it smacks of censorship.

If there is another thread on TCD in the future I will give my opinion and I hope Mach2 will not be intimidated either – somehow I don’t think she will be!

[/quote]

So true Robert and thank you, Yes I will always continue to post and would never be intimidated by any posts[msnwink]

carolmc
21-01-2006, 22:47
I guess we have been very luck....or have we???perhaps our experiences are more "the norm". We have been travelling to Florida - three or four times a year, since 1991 and all of our flights have been uneventful. We have travelled with TCD and they could not have been better - as a disabled traveller I had expected "nothing" but they could not have been more helpful. Sure, some flights are better than others, but I have yet to fly with any airline that I would say "never again"....and we have even flown with Aeroflot!
Keep things in perspective.....I would hate to be a first time Florida visitor reading this, or worse still a nervous flyer![:O]

LiesaAnna
21-01-2006, 23:51
Aeroflot, is that a joke[msnwink] i only ask (whilst laughing) as its sounds unreal!![msnwink]

22-01-2006, 00:11
Aeroflot, is that a joke[msnwink] i only ask (whilst laughing) as its sounds unreal!![msnwink]
[/quote]

Russia's International Airline.

LiesaAnna
22-01-2006, 00:53
yeh and now i know you will have to shoot me?[msnwink]

22-01-2006, 03:07
yeh and now i know you will have to shoot me?[msnwink]
[/quote]

[gun][gun][gun][gun]You did ask[msnwink]