PDA

View Full Version : Gold or Silver? & Needing Re-assurance!

Benny24
16-01-2006, 16:47
I'm going to book a car from this site, an economy as just the two of us going in May. In respect to the petrol option is it cheaper to book the Gold option to include the tank of fuel prior to going or to book the Silver option and pay for the tank on arrival?
It doesn't matter about the driver option...i'm the only one driving!

And with that in mind......I last drove in the US in 1995 and at 23 was up for anything!!! However a few years on, and after a horrible nerve racking experience of driving in Tenerife i'm a wee bit nervous. It doesn't help the other half doesn't drive, and I find I can be more concerned about the driving than enjoying my holiday! [msncry]
Which is why I'm only booking one for a week!
Any tips/advice greatly received [msnsmile2] Ta!

16-01-2006, 17:01
I always go for the Gold option[msnwink]

AS for driving its so much easier in the US nice big road and signs, you will be fine[msnwink]

julieanne
16-01-2006, 17:59
I always take the Gold option too.

Don't worry about the driving, its a good experience - just use the same common sense and care that you would at home
:)

djdigitald
16-01-2006, 18:51
Yep Gold Option everytime! :D

Fourdents
16-01-2006, 19:04
Benny
Tenerife.....okay driving if you are a Goat !!! Was Scarey !!

Florida ....no problem and I am a "lady of a mature age" cough50cough plus[msnsmile2]

Check if you have to return the car with fuel in....if so fill up before you take it back.....some companies charge extra for them to put fuel in for you.

Take care coming out of Orlando Airport.....speed cops ! Dec when I was there they had pulled someone over. Keep the speed limit.

Where will you be staying ? few road works going on.In Dec I think they had not replaced the signposts on some of the routes.....I saw a lot more of Orlando on the way back to the airport than I wanted to [msnsad]

Linda

Macka
16-01-2006, 19:13
Benny, Gold. Paul.

Rhosyn
16-01-2006, 19:31
Hi Benny,
I drove for the first time last October with my youngest daughter as long as she keep telling me to cross the junction before turning I was fine after driving for a day it is a lot easier than over here.
Gold allways

Genie
16-01-2006, 21:34
Driving in the US is much nicer than in the UK. If I can do it anyone can. We had the silver option and the fuel cost us $60 !!!!!!

solanasunshine
16-01-2006, 21:42
We always go for gold - You'll be fine driving - if I can do it I am sure you can! Gill [msnwink][msnsmile2]

Madabouttigger
17-01-2006, 21:04
Gold option every time. Loads of hints and tips on this site for driving. Found it really easy in florida especially as the cars are all automatic. Try and get you hands on a map before you go and check out the route from the airport. Having an idea if you want to be Nort, South East or West can help so you know you are heading in the right direction. Be prepared to get lost - we do every time.
If you are feeling very nervous consider hiring a Sat Nav system to help you along. Oh and dont forget you need some change for the toll roads just outside the airport.

Diane.

wrpac00
18-01-2006, 00:38
You'll find driving in Orlando a dream, I always do. It won't take you long to pick up their driving habits and then it will be a breeze.[msnwink]

bargainqueen
23-02-2006, 11:40
My husband didn't want to go to Florida and believed every bit of bad press printed. He insisted that we only hired a car for the second week and I had to find a hotel "for non drivers". After a lot of research I found that I could book a myers bus from airport and back again to pick up car. Confused everyone as it's not the norm but it did work. Only good thing about it was that when we got the car I had a better idea of where everything was but the downside of the 1st week was that if we didn't want to eat in hotel then it was quite a walk to find somewhere else.

At end of week he agreed that next time we came over we could have a car for the whole duration. For the next couple of trips he wouldn't drive but now after 9 years he feels confident.

We now go for gold, but you can also go for the cheaper option and bring the car back full. There are two of us but the minimum I would go for is 4 door intermediate, we went for the car recommended for 2 people in virgin brochure and it was too small.

My driving tip would be to memorise the map of Florida so that when you come to a junction you will know the direction you want to take. The roads operate on a grid system and they will either be signposted North and South or East and West. Basically it's a left or right turn and the directions given are how they are on a Florida map.

The roads are clearly marked for the english drivers and even have white lines on road to guide you when turning left. It's a doddle compared with driving in Spain just use all your mirrors especially when driving anywhere with more than two lanes.

andrewandcarole
23-02-2006, 11:53
We always go fo gold.

We once took silver and regretted it as it is an extra hassle to have to fill up at the last minute before taking the car back.

Carole

Macka
23-02-2006, 11:54
There's logic to the road designation too.

Odd numbers run north to south. (as in Hwy 27)

Even numbers run west to east. (as in 192)

The interstates are the same, I-75 north to south, I-4 east to West etc etc.

jpusa66
23-02-2006, 13:38
Thats a very good tip to know Macka. It is true you learn something every day!!

tezz7628
23-02-2006, 16:14
push the shopping trolley round the supermarket before you go get used to road junctions :)

blott
23-02-2006, 16:20
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by andrewandcarole
We always go fo gold.

We once took silver and regretted it as it is an extra hassle to have to fill up at the last minute before taking the car back.

Carole[/quote]Silver means taking the car back empty not full.

Fourdents
23-02-2006, 16:47
??? Does Silver mean your charged a fee for the car hire firm to fill the tank and then top prices for the fuel ?

???? With Silver can you fill up at a lower prices at a supermarket or like ....and take it back full.....cheaper ? and not be charged.

Linda

blott
23-02-2006, 17:57
You're charged for a full tank of fuel with silver. Ours came to the grand sum of $49 in December which, considering the price of petrol in the UK, I thought was a bargain!

You used to be able to fill up the tank yourself and not get charged but this is now no longer the case.

If you only have two or less drivers, work out the difference in price between Gold and Silver over how long you're going for and see which will save you the most money.

Macka
23-02-2006, 18:13
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by tezz7628
push the shopping trolley round the supermarket before you go get used to road junctions :)
[/quote]

I don't think Benny was thinking of anything [u]that</u> dangerous Tezz.

Fourdents
23-02-2006, 18:28
Thanks Blotty you are always good for advice[msnsmile2]

Linda

Madabouttigger
23-02-2006, 21:19
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Macka
There's logic to the road designation too.

Odd numbers run north to south. (as in Hwy 27)

Even numbers run west to east. (as in 192)

The interstates are the same, I-75 north to south, I-4 east to West etc etc.
[/quote]

I never knew that - something else to go in my Florida folder to read on the plane. [msntongue]

bargainqueen
24-02-2006, 09:55
Good tips about silver and odd & even road names. Always a good idea to have a rough idea of where the main towns are on map. Everyone knows that Miami is south but how many first time visitors know that when you get to the exits off the 528 (B-line) you need to ignore the Orlando sign and head for Tampa. Always made me think twice in the early days, now we use the 417 a much quieter route.