PDA

View Full Version : Expedition Everest

poolman
16-01-2006, 16:31
Hi all can anyone tell me when Expedition Everest the new rollercoaster at Animal Kingdom opens to the public.
We are going in August 2006 hope its open by then.

Thanks in advance Poolman

GAIL5
16-01-2006, 16:55
Hi,

I read in the papers yesterday that it should be opening in March 2006 so you'll be OK. You'd never get me on there I can tell you!!

[msnscared]

dawn
16-01-2006, 17:42
I understand they are doing trial runs through January, with the opening as Gails says in March - can't wait:D

DaveL
16-01-2006, 17:46
Last week a number of lucky cast members were able to participate in testing of Expedition: Everest. The testing also included the filming of a commercial for the attraction, which is being directed by Rob Cohen.

There have been several hints that Expedition: Everest will have its official grand opening press event on April 7. So you can expect to see soft 'openings' due March and if your lucky late Feb.

The new attraction's Web site goes live on January 16th.

Dave

GrahamC
16-01-2006, 19:14
It already looks good. They have done a great visual job on it.

We are out there in August as well. I'll be the one staggering off in a state of shock, supported by three laughing boys.

jolliffee
16-01-2006, 19:28
Roller Coaster adicts have a thread on this: http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=15786&whichpage=1

With luck we'll be on this in May; [msnsmile2]can't wait![msnsmile2]

sheenallan
16-01-2006, 20:06
We will be there April can't wait[sick][sick]
Sheena

Cowboy
16-01-2006, 23:24
The scheduled opening for the public is Friday April 7th. It has taken 18.7 million pounds of concrete and 5,000 tons of steel in its construction. The peak is 200 feet high and there is a 44inch height restriction for the ride.

Mike and Kath.

domster
17-01-2006, 01:50
It looks really good from the pictures I have seen.

Andrena
17-01-2006, 02:06
They are doing early opening for Annual Passholders before it is open to the general public, not sure of the dates, will look up Mickey Monitor and try to find out.

wrightbuxton
17-01-2006, 17:13
We are over at Easter and my son can't wait to visit AK to try the new ride.

Not sure about whether I'll participate of be the 'coat holder'[msnwink]

Julie

big peachy
18-01-2006, 19:11
Just back this ride looks awesome the first thing that catches your eyes when you entre the park. They were still doing dummy runs when we were there but if looks are anything to go by its going to be a great ride.

Pluto
21-01-2006, 21:19
Does anyone know what the ride entails.

Does it go upside down? Because if it does its another one for me to avoid[msnsad]

floridageoff
21-01-2006, 22:00
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Pluto
Does anyone know what the ride entails.

Does it go upside down? Because if it does its another one for me to avoid[msnsad]
[/quote]We were told that it does not go upside down so I will definitely be giving it a go!

DaveL
21-01-2006, 22:57
No upside down but I think you do go backwards.

Dave

CarolAnn
22-01-2006, 00:29
We were told in October, it definately goes backwards and that there is an 80 ft drop at some point [msneek] No upside downs were mentioned[msnoo]

blytht
23-01-2006, 17:02
Looks like the ride wil be up and running end of the week just got to be one of the "other guests" to get on it at the moment ;))

Definition of "other guests" anyone?

Extract from link below: (Dated 22 January 2006)
"It's called Expedition Everest, Disney's first large outdoor roller coaster that opens to annual- and seasonal-pass holders late this week and other guests intermittently for the next month."

Full Story:
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/orl-everest2206jan22,0,6083000.story

floridageoff
23-01-2006, 21:52
I found this on a Disney Blog dated January 7th:

Yesterday saw one of the first large scale runs of Everest using cast from around WDW as riders for filming of the Discovery Channel specials, set to air around April 9, 2006. The reports from riders so far has been very very positive. The immense detail of the village area is receiving high acclaim, along with the smoothness, backward portions, and interior effects. Last but not least, some comments about the Yeti audio animatronic, "it BLEW ME AWAY!!! ", "the Yeti figure is without doubt the greatest AA I have ever seen", "you won't believe how fast that thing moves!".

One word of warning though, don't expect this attraction to be an intense coaster experience. Whilst it is thrilling, above Big Thunder Mountain and Space Mountain, and along the lines of Rock 'n' RollerCoaster, it is not a super fast, super high coaster. What makes this attraction so incredible, is the story, theming, effects, a great coaster ride system, and the way they are all integrated together. Disney wanted this attraction to be a major draw for Animal Kingdom and Walt Disney World as a whole, in the way that Splash Mountain is for MK, and Tower of Terror is for the Disney-MGM Studios. The design plan called for it to be rideable for the whole family, and that is exactly what WDI have delivered, and to great effect.

From Mouse Guest -

The que area is nothing short of amazing. With little tiny details everywhere. There are a few things that are of course manufactured by Disney, but as a hole, you would be hard press to pin point the fakes. (other than the incredibly abious area on the que, you will know which one I'm talking about when you visit) So for starters, I would strongly suggest going through the regular Stand by que line. Fast pass line is nice, and has some of the pictures and artifacts, but there's no where near the detail that the stand by line has. Also, as with Kalhi River Rapids, there are no monitors, or audio tracks telling you what the story is. The story is written on the walls of the stand by que, and I don't mean literally. It really is an immersive story and you will experience it at it's best when through the stand by cue.

The trains are very cool looking. It sits 36 people total, with chairs arranged in pairs. Now don't go rushing to the front of the line on this one. This is not a conventional roller coster (as if Disney would even dare do something "conventional" wink*wink) so the spectacle that normally is the front row is not as important.

For those that haven't listened to the official Disney world pod-cast, the story is interesting. We are going to everest (which by the way is not the big mountain that we see as we approach the ride, Everest is the smaller peak we see to the right of the tallest peak, and it is this mountain that we have to get thru to get to everest) and to get there we must take a long track through the mountain, or take this old tea train that will take us straight there. Of course, there is a guardian of the mountain, and he's apparently not too happy with this train track been used.

The ride it self is the story, and wile the que gives you the details, and the back story, ultimately the ride will tell you this very animal kingdom tale. The ride will start out slow, as most train trips usually do. But it will take you to the top of the mountain, on your way up, if you look around, you will be able to see the center piece of every disney world park. once at the top "something will happen" and that is when the ride kicks it into hi gear. No I'm not sure of the speeds, no one seems to know exactly how fast it goes (at least no one I asked, and Joe Rohde was tight lip about this) but it certainly feels fast enough. Soon you find yourself going through the mountain and being chased by the "guardian". It isn't until half way thru the ride that you go down a major drop, but hold on to your hats when you do. The ending is of-course when we meet, face to face, the legendary "guardian" and then get spat out of the mountain.

The guard

CorFL
26-01-2006, 14:34
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by poolman
Hi all can anyone tell me when Expedition Everest the new rollercoaster at Animal Kingdom opens to the public.
We are going in August 2006 hope its open by then.

Thanks in advance Poolman
[/quote]The Official opening date is april 7, 2006

But 2 months before that, they'll do "soft opening" which means that sometimes they open the ride and ask people in... but there are no garantees for riding on the day that you're visiting...

Hope this helps...

Benny
26-01-2006, 16:19
Try going over to http://www.themeparkreview.com/ on there they have upto date pics aswell as onride videos.

carynwillson
28-01-2006, 15:43
Good Morning From Florida,
Disney very kindly opened Expedition Everest to Annual Passholders and DVC members from Jan 26th to 29th. This fortunately coincided with our visit to our home. So yesterday, armed with our DVC membership cards off we went to Animal Kingdom. Disney, organised as ever had sectioned off the part of the Park where EE is and entry only allowed to Passholders and DVC members. Each rider on presentation of pass or DVC membership card was issued with a souvenir lanyard and pin (DVC members also got a limited edition EE pin - which looks really good). The wait in line takes you through base camp with lots of artifacts from Nepal, which, having been there are very good. The ride is as Disney like to put it, a run-away train, it is a cross between Big Thunder Mountain and the Rockin Rollercoaster. It's very good and we did it twice before moving on to MGM to see the new Stunt Show, which if you have been to the Studios at Disneyland Paris, you will know exactly what I am talking about, it is an all action driving stunt show. We then moved on to Epcot to check out Soarin, the new ride which takes you over California, very, very good, but be warned the queues are long, we went straight there, got a fast pass and did the rest of the park, returning to Soarin in time to use the pass, the queue had not moved from 70 minutes all day. We rode the ride, got stuck, got free fast pass, rode again straight away, this time with no hitches, be warned, this is not the ride if you suffer from vertigo, especially if you stop. But nevertheless, a fantastic experience and wonderful sight, you even get smellyvision. The day as usual organised with military precision by my dutiful husband, out of the house at 8am returned at 9pm, three parks and all the usual rides and the new ones later, great day, feet aching now.

G Lazell
28-01-2006, 16:41
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by carynwillson
Good Morning From Florida,
Disney very kindly opened Expedition Everest to Annual Passholders and DVC members from Jan 26th to 29th. This fortunately coincided with our visit to our home. So yesterday, armed with our DVC membership cards off we went to Animal Kingdom. Disney, organised as ever had sectioned off the part of the Park where EE is and entry only allowed to Passholders and DVC members. Each rider on presentation of pass or DVC membership card was issued with a souvenir lanyard and pin (DVC members also got a limited edition EE pin - which looks really good). The wait in line takes you through base camp with lots of artifacts from Nepal, which, having been there are very good. The ride is as Disney like to put it, a run-away train, it is a cross between Big Thunder Mountain and the Rockin Rollercoaster. It's very good and we did it twice before moving on to MGM to see the new Stunt Show, which if you have been to the Studios at Disneyland Paris, you will know exactly what I am talking about, it is an all action driving stunt show. We then moved on to Epcot to check out Soarin, the new ride which takes you over California, very, very good, but be warned the queues are long, we went straight there, got a fast pass and did the rest of the park, returning to Soarin in time to use the pass, the queue had not moved from 70 minutes all day. We rode the ride, got stuck, got free fast pass, rode again straight away, this time with no hitches, be warned, this is not the ride if you suffer from vertigo, especially if you stop. But nevertheless, a fantastic experience and wonderful sight, you even get smellyvision. The day as usual organised with military precision by my dutiful husband, out of the house at 8am returned at 9pm, three parks and all the usual rides and the new ones later, great day, feet aching now.
[/quote]

Wow 3 parks in one day, we have never managed more than 1.
I thought I would be too scared to go on Everest but from what you say I think I will give it a go. I do go on just about all rides (except the Big One in Blackpool - I'm sure the drop would kill me[xx(])

Tracey

LiesaAnna
30-01-2006, 03:06
http://video.orlandosentinel.com/global/video/popup/pop_player.asp?ClipID1=657200&h1=Expedition%20Everest%20photocast%20by%20Sentine l%20photographer%20Joe%20Burbank&vt1=v&at1=News&d1=78000&LaunchPageAdTag=News&fvCatNo=&backgroundImageURL=&activePane=info&playerVersion=9&rnd=39604782

just a little bit on the expedition[msnwink]

esprit
30-01-2006, 05:20
I rode Everest today, another one of the annual passholders allowed a sneak preview of the new ride which doesnt open to the public for a couple of months yet. We arrived too late for a fast pass and went standby, the sign on the gate said 90 mins, in fact even with a full contingent of fast passers slotting in, from the gate it is nowhere near 90 mins, it was under an hour so dont be put off. You queue through some great themed areas, Nepal village, base camp, museum on the Yeti with "artifacts" etc. all very authentic as stated, Disney really excells in this sort of thing. Though I hate queuing, I wouldnt have missed seeing all this as it set the scene. The coaster is very like Big Thunder Railroad except much higher and steeper, exciting but not that scary, however the bit where it goes backwards in the dark, and for quite a way too much further than on the Mummy, was awesome, even had a coaster fan like me screaming. All in all, I think it will be successful addition to the park.

Ray&Sarah
30-01-2006, 23:24
Lucky you Julie and Caryn, my son will have to wait until our Christmas visit to ride this one, i'll opt to hold the bags.[msnsmile2]

rosie
30-01-2006, 23:27
We tried it out on Friday [msnsmile2] Great ride and very well themed. The view from the top is fantastic, you can see Epcot, MGM, as well as some of the hotels.

We got commemorative lanyards and pins too [msncool]

floridageoff
31-01-2006, 02:27
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by rosieuk
We tried it out on Friday [msnsmile2] Great ride and very well themed. The view from the top is fantastic, you can see Epcot, MGM, as well as some of the hotels.

We got commemorative lanyards and pins too [msncool]
[/quote]I'm so jealous, if only we had been there. We will have to wait until next week when we fly over and keep visiting Animal Kingdom in the hope that they will be having soft openings on the days we are there.

rosie
31-01-2006, 03:06
Glenda, the cast member we spoke to said they would almost certainly start doing soft openings over the coming few weeks, so hopefully you will get to try it out [msnsmile]

Sharon G
31-01-2006, 13:50
Liesa...thanks for [msnsmile2]the link!!

Madabouttigger
01-02-2006, 20:42
Don't think for a moment that I can face this ride![xx(]

AngelaB
27-02-2006, 02:34
This is well and truly up and running now, we have just come home after 3 weeks holiday in Orlando and Everest is definately our best ride. If you get a chance ride at the vry front its out of this world!!!![msnsmile2]

Littletony
16-03-2006, 02:05
Hi folks

Just come back to the real world from Orlando too. Expedition Everest seems to be open to all, we were able to access it with standard park tickets (and had access to Fastpass too!!)

Great ride, Disneys best coaster by a mile!! (Fast, tight and a little bit backwards but no upside down :D )

Jackie F
20-03-2006, 21:18
This sounds great, we can't wait to try it out for ourselves on May[msnsmile2]