PDA

View Full Version : hurricane worrys

kezza5222
16-01-2006, 14:16
hi all,
me being brainy booked 2 weeks off in early september for my honeymoon to orlando, didnt use my head at the time and have only just realised thats hurricane season! are there hurricanes in orlando? being landlocked? or do they die out before they get to orlando? its obviously a big worry to me as i have never been in one and worry that i might die.. are they very severe? i have heard they weaken as they get inland and orlando being a distance from the sea i was kinda hoping they wouldnt have any.. am i worrying about nothing?
love kerry

CERICROWLEY
16-01-2006, 14:26
Kerry

There is always a possibility of hurricanes, but there is always the possibiliy of falling down and breaking a leg,

I have been out to FLorida now many times over the four years I have owned my home, and yes last year we did experience two hurricanes, where we were, they were like a really blustery day by the coast. But they can all be very different.

If we concerned ourselves with the what if's we wouldn't go outside the front door.

You will have a great time in Orlando, and being on honeymoon, who cares what the weather is like outside.[msnwink]

Over the times we have travelled to Orlando,we have always had a great time, as we always go back time and time again.

Enjoy yourself

Genie
16-01-2006, 14:55
Hi Kerry, we have been going to Orlando since 1989 and are also going in September, it is a lovely month and I would not let it worry you too much , the hurricane season is June- October and we have been loads of times during these months and the weather has been wonderful.

luckylady
16-01-2006, 15:05
First don't believe all you hear, and see in the media.most of the time its sensationalised
Yes there could be hurricanes at the time you visit, on the otherhand maybe not.
We have been in Florida when a hurricane was in full blast,believe me I have experienced far worse in the UK, on a windy day by the sea.
Don't focus on the maybe's, focus on the great time you will have in Florida
Thw fantastic time you have in Florida is guaranteed,the hurricanes are not. [msnwink][[msnwink][msnwink]

stabard
16-01-2006, 17:32
We have been to Florida a number of times in Septemeber ( one of those times being our own honeymoon ) and most of the time the weather has been fantastic and we have had the time of our lives. As Barbara has said the weahter is not guarenteed and I have noticed that the media do like to rev things up a bit.

julieanne
16-01-2006, 18:06
Kerry, we've been to Florida many times in September and as a whole the weather has been good :)
We have experienced hurricanes at different times of the year - and if you are unlucky enough to have one you should take it seriously. But please don't worry about it and certainly don't let it spoil your holiday planning, chances are you will have great weather and you will certainly have a fabulous honeymoon!

pieman790
16-01-2006, 18:57
We have been many times to Florida,twice last year and three times the year before and never yet experienced a hurricane,

chrizzy100
16-01-2006, 19:07
I would not worry about a storm hitting Orlando...its not worth messing up your holiday about something that may not happen.....but I would keep an eye on the weather...the people who get hurt are the ones who think a storm is nothing.......take it from someone who lives in a little house by the sea and goes through huge storms all the time...don't take it lighly...people who have lived through bad storms sometimes have a habit of thinking it was nothing after....if you take care..and keep informed ...you'll be OK....central FL is the best place to be if a storm hits....

bellaepovera
16-01-2006, 20:26
I was there when Charlie hit and has to me it felt like just a bad storm as you are correct once it hits land it does weaken. Lasted 3 or 4 hours and the next morning the sun was shining and temps in the 90s so not too worry. Go and have a great time!

kezza5222
17-01-2006, 02:11
that is reassuring! and i presume that the villas have insurance already for hurricanes? or would i have to take that out myself? i remember we had just came home in 92 when andrew hit (i think it was andrew..) and my mother swore she wouldnt let my dad take me to america again! lol! kerry

Lesley and John
17-01-2006, 11:17
Kerry,

One thing to remember is Florida is a big place. When we see the news on UK TV that a hurricane has hit Flordia some people immediately think of Orlando, but the hurricane is often hundreds of miles away (for example the Keys are 8 to 10 hours drive away). Also the News goes out of its way to find the places that have been hit the worst - that's the News.

We have been visiting Orlando for years, and only been impacted once when Charlie hit. The locals told us this is the worst in living memory but the weather was back to normal the next day. Several years back, we took the kids to Spain and there was heavy rain and floods for days.

So anywhere has a risk, but I would not let it dictate my holiday. I will visiting Orlando this year and next and next etc etc as normal. I'll not let the season or risk dictate my plans. Florida is still the best.

John

bellaepovera
17-01-2006, 13:10
Yes, all the villas have insurance paid by the owners of them. Recommend though is travel insurance for you and your family just in case of illness or other reasons you cannot travel. If you are coming in September that is one of the best months to go as the weather is lovely at that time of the year!

andrewandcarole
17-01-2006, 15:12
Kerry

Please don't be worried about a hurricane.
These are actually rare (despite the media coveraged here in the UK!!)

We were out in our home in Florida when hurricane Jeanne went directly overhead in 2004. To be honest it was nothing to worry about and at no time were we at all frightened. Yes - it's very bad stormy weather for a day - but afterwards you generaly have the benefit of very good weather as the hurricane sucks away the rain clouds.

The main problem is the media - the pictures that are relayed to us in the Uk on our TV screens are of homes that have ben flattened. Ever noticed that these are always wooden structures or mobile homes? In the UK we have had storms that have destroyed these types of homes too. Modern buildings are built to withstand these storms - so please don't worry.

Have a wonderful stay - and hope it's a honeymoon to remember.

Carole

kezza5222
17-01-2006, 17:49
thanks for all your reassurances, and you are right carole, the media do hype it up and it doesnt help that i am an avid documentry watcher! but i hadnt noticed before that all the wrecked homes are mobile homes but now you mention it i remember that they do all seem to be on big parks.

i will put all the worry out of my head, and just enjoy the 14 days and worry about a hurricane if and when it actually happens! lol!

kerry

chrizzy100
17-01-2006, 19:55
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by kezza5222
thanks for all your reassurances, and you are right carole, the media do hype it up and it doesnt help that i am an avid documentry watcher! but i hadnt noticed before that all the wrecked homes are mobile homes but now you mention it i remember that they do all seem to be on big parks.

i will put all the worry out of my head, and just enjoy the 14 days and worry about a hurricane if and when it actually happens! lol!

kerry
[/quote]

Just don't take a storm lightly...if you hear one is coming ...don't listen to stories about it not being scary...or its just a windy day...because in a lot of cases its not..our minds play tricks on us after living through a bad storm...or even a more mild one like Orlando gets..we feel so good about getting through it we forget how we really felt at the time...its like having a baby...LOL!.if you are well informed you'll be fine and have a great time with no worries.....[msnsmile2][msnsmile2]

kezza5222
17-01-2006, 22:08
lol right now i would rather experiance a hurricane then have a baby! i am afraid i am completly unmaternal! lol! my cats are my babies!
kerry

chrizzy100
17-01-2006, 22:53
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by kezza5222
lol right now i would rather experiance a hurricane then have a baby! i am afraid i am completly unmaternal! lol! my cats are my babies!
love kerry
[/quote]

I used to keep cats....I used to breed differant kinds of siamese...Deven rex..long haired...normal...

My grandson can make a house look like a twister hit it in under 30 mins..we had less clearing up to do after a storm....[msneek]

E. Cosgrove
18-01-2006, 01:25
We were in Florida last September.....no hurricanes.
My sister was there in Oct when hurricane Wilma struck it was so bad......she went shopping[msnwink]
I don't think it is anything you need to be worried about at all. Have fun[msnsmile2]

CarolAnn
18-01-2006, 02:19
Quite right Liz, we were there for that one, it doesn't rain inside those fabulous shopping malls:)It was clear skys and sunshine by 1pm too!
We have been to Florida at least 10 times in October, never even seen rain before. Booked to go nest October too [msnwink]

ALR
18-01-2006, 13:21
We were there early September last year, despite all the warnings of doom and gloom from everyone else. Although there was a lot of coverage on the weather channel about hurricane/tropical storm Ophelia, it didn't in anyway affect us.

The weather was very, very hot. The parks weren't overcrowded, and there was no waiting for a table in restaurants. We had a great time.