PDA

View Full Version : Virgin no tier or points

Fourdents
16-01-2006, 00:48
Looking for flights out this coming week ....yes, I can get a seat but each flight I tried on different days said this flight does not give tier points or air miles

Why ?

anyone got any idea why ?

Linda

shenon
16-01-2006, 01:01
The seats might be in the sale in which case you do not get points:)

E. Cosgrove
16-01-2006, 03:01
If you book one try giving your card in at check in anyway, we have had them add points that we shouldn't have qualified for in the past!![msnoo]

Stephen and Pam
16-01-2006, 11:13
We where told it is always worth giving your card over as the person at the desk is normally on auto pilot and just puts them through anyway[msnsmile]

steph_goodrum
16-01-2006, 13:49
If the flights are in N class they dont at present qualify but from 1st March you get 50% of the miles + 1 tier point, downside is its going up from 40,000 to 50,000 to get a free fligth to Orlando or Los Angeles.

Don't know if it's the online check in snookered it but when my daughter flew to Boston at Christmas her outward flight qualified but not return and even though she handed over card at checkin on return the flight still appeared on her statement as non qualifying.

The annoying thing was we didnt realise till the flight was booked and checked what it would be for a qualifying flight coming back and it was only £25 dearer BUT £100 admin to change it so it wasn't worth it on a £299 ticket.

Macka
16-01-2006, 14:01
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by E. Cosgrove
If you book one try giving your card in at check in anyway, we have had them add points that we shouldn't have qualified for in the past!![msnoo]
[/quote]

I've done this too Liz, twice![msnembarrased]

Worked though.[msnsmile2]

Fourdents
16-01-2006, 14:24
I really wish Virgin would sort things in a way that is easy to understand I think you have to have a Degree in Complications to understand N's Y's etc. etc. etc.

Anyone on here ever tried to simplify stuff for us novice flyers ?

I booked my flight for April using miles and money now to find that I don't get points etc. and I could have had a Sale price for £25 cheaper !

16-01-2006, 14:28
A
Discounted First Class (not used by Virgin Atlantic) Virgin Atlantic does not operate a First Class cabin, instead it operates Upper Class as a J-Class (Premium Business) for its top tier of travel.
B
B
Discounted Economy Flying Club Miles and Tier Points will be earned on this fare. 125% of mileage flown earned (150% for Flying Club Gold members). 2nd highest level of fare class for Economy, very flexible in regards to changes/cancellation. Refunds are available on this fare class but typically not 100% full refund. This fare class is also one of the qualifying fare classes for Economy for the MilesMoreFriends promotion, so if the person you refer flies on a ticket booked in this class you will earn the 3,000 mile referral bonus. Eligible economy fare class for utilisation of: Upgrades – from economy to Premium Economy for 10,000 miles each sector or from Economy to Upper Class for 30,000 miles per sector. Note there must be availability in U Class for a Premium Economy Upgrade or G Class for an Upper Class Upgrade. Companion - Flying Club Economy Mileage Redemption Companion award for 20,000 miles, Complimentary Flying Club Companion award for renewing Gold Status or Complimentary Virgin Credit Card Companion ticket award for reaching the spend threshold in the 12 month designated period. Note there must be availability in T class for the companion seat. Note: If you utilise the revenue fare for a companion reward, you can then also upgrade that revenue fare to a higher class but not the reward seat. So person X buys the B class revenue fare, and gets a companion reward for person Y (booked in T class), person A can then use miles to upgrade to Premium Economy (booked in U class) but person B cannot use miles to upgrade.
C
C
Full Fare Business Class (not used by Virgin Atlantic) Flying Club Miles and Tier Points will be earned on this fare. 200% of mileage flown earned (225% for Flying Club Gold members). 2nd highest level of fare class for Upper Class, some restrictions in regards to changes/cancellation. Advance purchase will normally be required as it is typically an Advance Purchase Excursion based fare (APEx). All routes except Nigeria offer chauffeur driven car transfers on D class Upper Class fares now; where chauffeur driven cars are not included they can be purchased using Flying Club miles, starting from 10,000 miles one-way. This fare class normally qualifies for any promotion that applies to Upper Class passengers. A ticket in this class will allow you to utilise the Clubhouse/Shared lounge on your journey for you and one guest flying with you. If returning to LHR on an appropriate flight, only the ticket holder can use the revivals lounge - guests are no longer allowed, even for cash.
D
D
Discounted Upper Class Flying Club Miles and Tier Points will be earned on this fare. 200% of mileage flown earned (225% for Flying Club Gold members). 2nd highest level of fare class for Upper Class, some restrictions in regards to changes/cancellation. Advance purchase will be required as it is an Advance Purchase Excursion based fare (APEx). All routes except Nigeria offer chauffeur driven car transfers on D class Upper Class fares now; where chauffeur driven cars are not included they can be purchased using Flying Club miles, starting from 10,000 miles one-way. This fare class normally qualifies for any promotion that applies to Upper Class passengers. A ticket in this class will allow you to utilise the Clubhouse/Shared lounge on your journey for you and one guest flying with you. If returning to LHR on an appropriate flight, only the ticket holder can use the revivals lounge - guests are no longer allowed, even for cash.
E
E
Staff Travel All staff, including Mr. Branson are booked into E class if travelling on their concessions, compassionate travel or as 'must go'. The type of travel and their staff/pass code determine which class they will really end up in.
F
F
First Class (not used by Virgin Atlantic) Virgin Atlantic does not operate a First Class cabin, instead it operates Upper Clas

Fourdents
16-01-2006, 15:05
[:O][xx(]:([msneek][msnoo][sick][confused][confused][zzz][zzz][zzz]

That's about how I feel after digesting that [msnwink]
Linda

16-01-2006, 15:08
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Fourdents

Linda
[/quote]

I know its pretty complex[msnscared]

Katys Grandad
16-01-2006, 20:07
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Mach 2

Linda
[/quote]

[/quote]

Wow Julie! and this is just Virgin's codes?

Stephen and Pam
16-01-2006, 22:50
[:O][B)][xx(][:I]:([8)][:P][:O][xx(][xx(]
WOW talk about confuseing but thank you Julie.[msnsmile2]

Fourdents
16-01-2006, 23:20
Now you see why Virgin need to sort this out !

Campaign for simplification coming up I feel !

Whoever thought all that bumph up should be................

What........??[?][?][?]

Linda

17-01-2006, 00:14
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Katys Grandad
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Mach 2

Linda
[/quote]

[/quote]

Wow Julie! and this is just Virgin's codes?
[/quote]

Yep![msnsmile2]

julieanne
17-01-2006, 15:33
Thanks Julie - but can we have it again in English [msnwink] [msnwink] [msnwink]

17-01-2006, 17:06
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by julieanne
Thanks Julie - but can we have it again in English [msnwink] [msnwink] [msnwink]
[/quote]

Sorry I don't speak de lingo[msnwink]

Madabouttigger
17-01-2006, 20:52
I'm more confused than ever - will just keep handing the card in and seeing what happens.[msnwink]

Matt
23-01-2006, 01:42
You will find that this isn't specific to Virgin and that all airlines have these fare codes.

Basically what they mean is the fare level that you have purchased for your particular cabin chosen.

EG. N Class in economy is the lowest economy fare. Then as the fares increase with each increase it will move into a different fare code. Y would be the highest and fully flexible economy fare class and probably around £600 higher than the lowest fully restricted fare. (Not necessarily the right letters used there but for example purposes)

Same goes for each cabin class (although not as many fare codes).

Make more sense??[msnscared][msneek][msntongue]

Matt

Robert5988
23-01-2006, 13:08
For most airlines I have usually(not always) found that if you book through a firm(as opposed to the airline direct) you get a 'lower' code and get less airmiles.

When firms like Opodo/Lastminute/Trailfinders etc could obtain you substantial reductions on a fare price it was worth considering, but now I haven't recently found savings. If you do get a saving it should be weighed against any loss in airmiles.

The same applies to the '2 for 1' offers you see from time to time. The Independent Newspaper have just been running a '2 for 1' offer on American Airlines. I checked some dates out and the not only was the one fare(with a free ticket) more expensive than booking 2 tickets on-line, but you got no airmiles at all.

Genie
23-01-2006, 13:35
Well thats clarified it for me [msnscared] I don't think !

stabard
23-01-2006, 14:54
More confused than ever now.

Matt
23-01-2006, 16:05
Agencies will buy bulk seats for particular routes all usually in the lower fare class. However, if there are any seats left in a particular class then these can be purchased direct from the airline at the same price. As mentioned the lower fare codes on most airlines do not attract airmiles, however, when the fare moves to the next fare code, which is not usually a whole lot more expensive, then airmiles can be earnt.

As we all know, nobody gets anything for FREE!!! The offers seen in most newspapers or direct from the airlines offering 2-4-1 will sell the first ticket based on the highest fare code. As mentioned in my previous post this can be upwards of £600 more expensive than the lowest fare code. Therefore it would have been cheaper to buy 2 tickets on the lower fare basis if they are available of course.

You may also have noticed that Virgin offer free companion tickets which at first glance is a great offer. However, as with the above, the companion ticket is only available where a full fare ticket is purchased!!

Virgin Atlantic now states that you cannot buy their flights cheaper anywhere else than advertised on their website and if you do then they will refund the difference (I think its the difference).

So, thats it in a nutshell[msnwink]

Matt

Robert5988
23-01-2006, 17:31
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Agencies will buy bulk seats for particular routes all usually in the lower fare class. However, if there are any seats left in a particular class then these can be purchased direct from the airline at the same price. As mentioned the lower fare codes on most airlines do not attract airmiles, however, when the fare moves to the next fare code, which is not usually a whole lot more expensive, then airmiles can be earnt.

As we all know, nobody gets anything for FREE!!! The offers seen in most newspapers or direct from the airlines offering 2-4-1 will sell the first ticket based on the highest fare code. As mentioned in my previous post this can be upwards of £600 more expensive than the lowest fare code. Therefore it would have been cheaper to buy 2 tickets on the lower fare basis if they are available of course.

You may also have noticed that Virgin offer free companion tickets which at first glance is a great offer. However, as with the above, the companion ticket is only available where a full fare ticket is purchased!!

Virgin Atlantic now states that you cannot buy their flights cheaper anywhere else than advertised on their website and if you do then they will refund the difference (I think its the difference).

So, thats it in a nutshell
[/quote]

Matt,
I agree with the thrust of your post, although I would question one point.

I don't think that agencies now buy bulk seats as they used to in the past(repeat I don't think they do)They now use a subscription service that shows in real time what seats are still available in each fare code and they can place a hold on them.

Certainly the guarantee that AA give(and I suspect Virgin as well) doesn't stipulate that seats will have to be the same fare code.

So if, say, Charter or Expedia have seats in economy(coach) regardless of fare code cheaper than American they refund the difference.

Taking your scenario.

Had Charter bought a block of seats in the cheapest fare code, and still had some available for sale, AA and Virgin would be forced to match that price even though there were none left in that fare code category.

Matt
23-01-2006, 21:56
Robert5988,

As far as I'm aware the guarantee that Virgin offer does not stipulate that the fare has to be in the same fare code, apologies if my post seemed to say that.

Regarding the bulk bookings, we had 2 flights last week where an agency had bought a block of seats, told us they'd sold them all, when in fact what somebody at the agency had done was double booked each of the PAX they had sold tickets to. We ended up with a half empty flight, loads of food and us crew were left with not a lot to do[clap][clap]. Good for us, but I'm sure somebody at the agency got their knuckles wrapped[msneek][msntongue].

So, in some instances agencies are still buying up bulk tickets, having said that it is quite possible that it is package companies that are buying the seats not necessarily a travel agent....if you know what I mean.

Matt