PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Atlantic Flying Club

jillizzy
13-01-2006, 15:15
For anyone out there who may be a member, Virgin Atlantic have made some changes to their Flying Club.

Details can be found on their website but I think one of the most important changes is that cheap fares to Orlando (booked in N Class) now earn some miles and tier points.

Anyone looking to spend miles should be booking before 1st March as after that date the redemption increases.

Jill

chrisflowers
13-01-2006, 16:35
That is good news if you can ever find an N class ticket with Virgin.

What are the new rates for redemption for the various classes to Orlando from the UK?

jillizzy
13-01-2006, 16:52
Chris I've never had a problem finding N Class fares but then I do tend to travel out of school holidays.

You can find the new redemption levels on the VA website - and then click the link to frequent flyer/spend miles.

There is a lot of info. on there but basically:

To MCO in Econ. was 40,000 now 50,000
Premium was 62,500 now 75,000
Upper was 80,000 now 100,000

Jill

wrpac00
13-01-2006, 17:10
Jill isn't it more logical to use your miles for a companion fare? PE is only 30000 miles to Orlando, it does not make sense to use 75000 for a flight you can use 30000 and just pay the taxes!!!!

jillizzy
13-01-2006, 17:30
If you have a free companion ticket then sometimes it can be beneficial to use it - obviously another person would need to be travelling with you and buy a full fare ticket.

Unfortunately, a full fare ticket can be expensive - especially in Econ and Upper and can sometimes be more than the cost of two apex tickets.

It really depends when and in what class you travel, generally I think the best use of a companion ticket is in high season in PE but there are a lot of variants.

Jill

Genie
13-01-2006, 18:46
We just enquired about flights for May , the companion tick was £713 + tax for a single flight, the miles + money was £431 and just an ordinary ticket was £423 , we rang them as we thought it was wrong , but no !! so what would be the piont in using any miles when the flights were cheaper by not doing so, didn't make much sense to me !!

jillizzy
13-01-2006, 19:50
I totally agree with you Jean - the main difference in the fares would be that if you booked the full fare ticket with the companion ticket you would earn more miles on it and it would be a flexible ticket but hardly worth the extra cash really.

The difference between a full fare premium and a lower class premium ticket is not as great that's why sometimes the companion ticket is useful but having said that we have a free companion ticket but have never used it.

I have never found that they work for us but we fly purely for pleasure. I know of people who travel on business and so they have full fare tickets paid for by their company and then take a friend along very cheaply. Unfortunately I'm not that lucky[msncry]

Jill

SDJ
13-01-2006, 23:46
Since moving from Tampa to Orlando we have flown with Virgin 6 times in the last 10 months. Every time they have been late. I know it is convenient to have the direct flight but this year we are going to try Contintal from Bristol and clear customs in Newark. Let you know if this works.

chrisflowers
13-01-2006, 23:49
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by SDJ
Since moving from Tampa to Orlando we have flown with Virgin 6 times in the last 10 months. Every time they have been late. I know it is convenient to have the direct flight but this year we are going to try Contintal from Bristol and clear customs in Newark. Let you know if this works.

[/quote]

We fly reguarly Continental from Bristol -
already discussed in detail: see thread -
http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=22231

E. Cosgrove
14-01-2006, 00:28
Just got 2 free Orlando flights with Virgin in Nov using BMI airmiles:D

wrpac00
14-01-2006, 01:02
Jill, we have flown PE with Virgin in August for the past 3 years. Last year and again this year we have used 30000 airmiles each time. This year it cost £1240 for one ticket and £123 for the other ticket, the total we paid (£1363) which was cheaper than two economy tickets at £805 each.

I know we only get airmiles on one of the tickets but as I now have a Virgin credit card earning me 2 miles per £ plus a free companion fare if I spend £15000 in a year this is now insignificant.

jillizzy
15-01-2006, 17:18
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by wrpac00
Jill, we have flown PE with Virgin in August for the past 3 years. Last year and again this year we have used 30000 airmiles each time. This year it cost £1240 for one ticket and £123 for the other ticket, the total we paid (£1363) which was cheaper than two economy tickets at £805 each.

I know we only get airmiles on one of the tickets but as I now have a Virgin credit card earning me 2 miles per £ plus a free companion fare if I spend £15000 in a year this is now insignificant.
[/quote]

I agree with you because you are travelling PE Peak season which is the scenario I mentioned. For us is doesn't work because we don't travel peak season now our children are grown up. There are just so many variables with FF miles and it really depends on the time of year and your personal situation.

I tend to travel separately from my family as they are restricted to annual leave and usually extend my stay but know that I am in the minority. I also have a Virgin credit card with which I receive a free companion ticket and another one when I renew my Gold card each year but have never used them but always check if it's worthwhile first. I mostly fly Upper Class and pay around £1200 for a return ticket, unfortunately a full fare Upper Class is over £4000 so that's why the Companion fare doesn't usually work for me personally.

Jill