PDA

View Full Version : Credit card fee on flight tickets?

ALR
10-01-2006, 22:57
Normally we book a flydrive but on our next trip we are looking to book flights and car hire separately. If I use my credit card to pay for the flights, does anyone know what the credit card fee is? I've looked on the airline website but it doesn't give the information.

Thanks
ALR

Katys Grandad
10-01-2006, 23:07
Which airline? Their rules vary widely.

ALR
10-01-2006, 23:09
Virgin Atlantic

Homer
10-01-2006, 23:59
Looking back it was £7.20 in 2004 when I last booked with themso think it would be safe to assume the same or more!!!!!

ALR
11-01-2006, 00:00
Thanks for the info

florida4sun
11-01-2006, 00:45
Have you tried the links on this site, the car hire has some of the best prices around.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by ALR
Normally we book a flydrive but on our next trip we are looking to book flights and car hire separately. If I use my credit card to pay for the flights, does anyone know what the credit card fee is? I've looked on the airline website but it doesn't give the information.

Thanks
ALR
[/quote]

Jules
11-01-2006, 00:58
Hi Andrea,

We booked our fights for next week online with Virgin Atlantic and were not charged anything extra for using our credit card. The price break down on screen gives you all the relevant taxes you are paying but the total was exactly what we paid with nothing extra added.
We booked our car hire from this site of course.

wrpac00
11-01-2006, 02:20
I have paid for Virgin flights for the past 3 years with my CC, can't ever remember paying a CC fee.

Jill
11-01-2006, 13:20
I was looking at BA flights this week for Australia and noticed that they now have a banner headline in red saying "that taxes, fees and surcharges are now inlcuded in the price". However, when you get to the bottom of the small print section there is a small paragraph. "If you choose to pay using a UK billed credit card you will incur a credit card surcharge of £2 per ticket." Not sure why it is per ticket when it is one card transaction except to make more money for themselves.

A lot of sites now charge for using a credit card but not necessarily for a debit card or not so much.

Martin has given the best advice try the link at the top of this site they are very friendly and helpful and have some excellent deals.

djdigitald
11-01-2006, 14:04
We didn't pay a CC fee when we booked with Virgin this Feb. As Martin has said book Car Hire with the above Link, i have just booked a 15 Seater Van for 2 weeks and it cost on average £200 less than anywhere else i checked :D

Sharon G
11-01-2006, 14:15
Never have paid a credit card fee booking with Virgin Atlantic!!![msnwink][msnsmile2]

jillizzy
11-01-2006, 16:13
I book all my flights with Virgin.

Virgin Holidays do charge a credit card fee but Virgin Atlantic definitely do not.

Jill

davy woods
11-01-2006, 22:21
I have paid with virgin in the past with my CC and have never paid any fees so I guess the answer is no you don't pay anything extra.
Dave

ALR
11-01-2006, 22:58
Thanks everyone, I've booked my flights!!! I think we have got a real bargain. £202 for return tickets.

I'm planning on booking the car via the links on this site.

[msnsmile2][msnwink][msnsmile2]

Madabouttigger
12-01-2006, 00:53
Just checked my statment - no fee charged through Virgin Atlantic.

ellie
12-01-2006, 01:32
No CC fees for booking the car hire through this site either - brilliant!:)

davy woods
12-01-2006, 01:36
Thanks everyone, I've booked my flights!!! I think we have got a real bargain. £202 for return tickets.

[/quote]
Sounds like you got a great deal there, well done and you will also get a great deal with the car hire as well on this site.
Dave

Jill
12-01-2006, 02:03
ALR You have got a good deal - when are you going?

Ray&Sarah
12-01-2006, 03:19

[/quote]

That is a good deal, have a great time.[msnsmile2]

Kazzie
12-01-2006, 03:35
Maybe you have normally booked through a travel agent and they do normally take a 2% charge for paying with credit card but zero with a debit card. That is another reason to book everything individually rather than a package holiday.

Karen

ALR
12-01-2006, 21:38
I've normally always used my switch card where you don't incur a fee. However, we didn't incur a fee with the credit card either so I can't complain.

We are going in November this time, and I can't believe how much we have saved on the tickets!!!:D[8D]:D

Jill
13-01-2006, 01:36
You should have a great time. We were there last year from the middle of November and had lovely weather.

Ray&Sarah
13-01-2006, 02:01
Great time to be in Florida ALR, are you there for thanksgiving?[msnsmile2]

ALR
13-01-2006, 21:23
Our last day is Thanksgiving Day.

bargainqueen
02-06-2008, 18:20
I've just booked 3 flights for next March with Virgin, I had to do it via the phone as my sister still had the £40 refund voucher which were given out last year.

I was surprised to find out we now had to pay a surcharge for using a credit card, I'm sure she said it was 1% but on receipt of the eticket it's not and I can't work out what has been charged.

Anyone else been charged this or maybe it's a new thing. Had a look on the website but can't find a definate answer.

sammibabe
02-06-2008, 21:43
We had to pay a cc fee when we booked last year. Can't remember how much but do remember it was cheaper than any other place we have had to pay a cc fee. Certainly didn't feel we were being ripped off as they do have to pay for us using the card, I do believe.