PDA

View Full Version : Expensive day out

Parrothead
07-01-2006, 23:26
Went to I O A for first time a couple of weeks ago. We all said would not want to rush back, couple of good rides, but on the whole very small park. It took us a couple of hours to do all the rides and that was it:(
A lot of money for not a lot to do[msnsad]

LiesaAnna
08-01-2006, 01:59
we enjoyed it!! lots of walking i thought! we enjoyed watching the magic man whilst the others went on some "scarey rides"

Paula D-S
08-01-2006, 02:19
I think IOA is great and it has always taken us a full day to get around. Especially with the little water play areas for the children.
We love it, can't wait to go back.[8D]

chrizzy100
08-01-2006, 02:21
We spend a lot of time in I.O.A...we know all the staff...we always got a one day two park ticket in the past and find we can do both parks fine out of season...we now have a year pass to both parks....and go to I.O.A for dinner ....in 2 week we went about 6 times last trip.....[msnembarrased]

Cruella DeVilla
08-01-2006, 02:29
IOA is our favourite park, it takes us all day to do it but we don't do it every trip, some of our favourite rides are in there like Hulk and Spiderman.

fiona
08-01-2006, 03:24
It's my daughters (now aged 17 and 20) favourite park, they love the rides and find plenty to do. We often take in a film and eat at either Jimmy Buffet's or Hard Rock afterwards.

dawn burley
08-01-2006, 03:25
IOA Spiderman is my favorate ride, I was so chuffed last time when my youngest was tall enough, so now all the family can go together. The best seats as always are at the front, but they are all great.

Ray&Sarah
08-01-2006, 16:02
My eldest loves IOA, his favourite in the Orlando area, he is also a big Busch Gardens fan, he loves the white knuckle rides so opts for those kind of parks.[msnsmile]

florida4sun
08-01-2006, 17:17
Its a great park with some top quality rides, it is impossible to do it in a 'couple of hours' just to do the following you would have had to of done a ride evey 13 minutes (including getting from ride and NOT inc shows) in order to cover them within a couple of hours:

The Hulk Coaster
Fire Coaster
Ice Coaster
Cat in the Hat - not a thrill ride but its a laugh
Spiderman - cutting edge ride
Doctor Dooms fearful - dont do just after lunch!
Jurassic Park

Great Wet rides
Ripsaw Falls
Bilgerat Barges

Shows
Poseidons Fury
The eight Voyage of Sinbad

Plus all the minor stuff, gives you way more than a couple of good rides. Busch is the only other park that has as many thrill rides.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Parrothead
Went to I O A for first time a couple of weeks ago. We all said would not want to rush back, couple of good rides, but on the whole very small park. It took us a couple of hours to do all the rides and that was it:(
A lot of money for not a lot to do[msnsad]
[/quote]

Daglish
08-01-2006, 17:24
You must have been really lucky with queues to get around all the rides in a couple of hours! Although I am not a big roller coaster fan my husband and my nephews loved this park and we spent the full day there.

Kazzie
08-01-2006, 17:39
We have never been able to do IOA in just a couple of hours either. I agree it is one of the best parks for the thrill rides. Are you sure you didnt miss out a whole section of the park?

Karen

Parrothead
09-01-2006, 02:12
Hi Martin,
take it from me,I was there, we did it in 2 hours.
Some of the rides were closed and most of the shows, we felt ripped off.
It was a park I was really looking forward to,I love roller coasters. I will not be rushing back.

Paula D-S
09-01-2006, 02:27
Hi Martin,
It was a park I was really looking forward to,I love roller coasters. I will not be rushing back.
[/quote]

Phew I'm tired just thinking about it. You must have moved around the park at break neck speed, we've never even done Supermarvel land in less than two hours.

Parrothead
09-01-2006, 04:08
The youngest member of our group was 15, so we were not interested in the kids stuff, but had we gone a few years back, I am sure it would have been a good day out.

CarolAnn
09-01-2006, 13:44
Oh! I really enjoyed IOA. I don't go on any of the scary rides at all, but I loved the atmosphere and thought the shows in particular were fabulous. As we are not"Scary ride obsessed" in our house, I guess we tend to soak up the other elements in the parks, which I often feel are not really appreciated by all! But then, thats why we all love the choices available in Orlando [8D]

pieman790
09-01-2006, 14:00
We were there last May and spent the whole day there and didnt do half of the rides. Granted the queues were quite long (50 mins for the Hulk and 45 for Spiderman) but we thought that the park was bigger than we had expected. They have a good balance of ride for all ages and will be back in May to do some of the rides we missed.

millie
09-01-2006, 14:27
We went a couple of years ago but as someone who does not relaly like the big rollercoasters or simulators (and with a 2 year old) I spent most of the day stnading with the bags. I hated it!!!

This trip hubby went in himslef and had a much better day in the single rider queues!!!!! That way he did manage to do both Universal parks in the one day. And that is with riding his favourites two or three times.

Lx

chrisflowers
09-01-2006, 17:28
The Incrdible Hulk and Duelling Dragons are my favourite rides in IOA
Our kids are now adults and enjoy the rollercoasters!

G Lazell
11-01-2006, 14:16
IOA not my favorite park but Spiderman is one of the best rides ever and my daughter loves Cat in the Hat.

We were there this Christmas and the Grinchmas show was lovely especially the dog[clap]

Tracey

LiesaAnna
11-01-2006, 15:40
Hi Martin,
[/quote]

i would give it another go, so many have enjoyed this park, i know we did, the one thing i did think was it wasnt as big as other parks? maybe i'm wrong but i dont do walking very well with the bad knee, and didnt find it as big to get around but certainly enjoyed it, even sat and had chilli fries there!! yummy!! had to let the others dry out after the boat ride (not sure of the name, round ones)

McjohnjM
11-01-2006, 18:31
Hi Parrothead
Sorry you did not enjoy IOA but everyone to their own thats what we say.
We now go in first thing in the morning, do all the big rides and are on our way home about 1.00 in time for lunch, if you go early you can do the big rides like the hulk and spider man a few times before it gets busy.

Kim

Parrothead
11-01-2006, 21:52
One of the main poblems, as I said, so much was not open, and we did feel ripped off. Nowhere did it state that all the rides were not operating!
We did enjoy the rides that were open, but will not be returning.

chrizzy100
12-01-2006, 00:18
They have had a buy out...it was owned by a French company that were running it into the ground...its now owned I think by MBC...who are doing the place up....lots more rides for young kids are coming......and the lake maybe opened back up to boat rides........

florida4sun
12-01-2006, 01:37
You should have complained as they would of given you free tickets or something. I can undertsand you been annoyed if the rides were not open, but that is not what was said in the first post. If your not getting what you paid for complain.
I once had the same problem at BUSCH we complained and got free tickets for Busch and Sea World, they also gave us food vouchers that could be used at either park.

One of the main poblems, as I said, so much was not open, and we did feel ripped off. Nowhere did it state that all the rides were not operating!
We did enjoy the rides that were open, but will not be returning.
[/quote]

djdigitald
28-02-2006, 11:11
I also noticed when i went last week that a lot of the rides/areas where closed. Dudley Dowrights Ripsaw Falls was one of them and it looked like it had been closed for ages as the water tubes had green algae all over them [msneek] Kind of reminiscent of the pictures of River Country that i posted some time ago. [msneek]

No where om the entrance to the Universal area or IOA itself did it say anything was closed :(.

chrizzy100
28-02-2006, 17:01
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by djdigitald
I also noticed when i went last week that a lot of the rides/areas where closed. Dudley Dowrights Ripsaw Falls was one of them and it looked like it had been closed for ages as the water tubes had green algae all over them [msneek] Kind of reminiscent of the pictures of River Country that i posted some time ago. [msneek]

No where om the entrance to the Universal area or IOA itself did it say anything was closed :(.
[/quote]

Dudley Dowright was closed by the last owners....the new ones are doing it up...and adding or finishing new rides...it will take them a long time...and a lot of money...the info is easy to get from any worker there.....

bridget
28-02-2006, 17:24
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by chrizzy100
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by djdigitald

[/quote]

Dudley Dowright was closed by the last owners....the new ones are doing it up...and adding or finishing new rides...it will take them a long time...and a lot of money...the info is easy to get from any worker there.....
[/quote]

How long are we talking? I'm going early May and really want to go on this [V]

djdigitald
28-02-2006, 17:27
Doing it up! It looks a mess! I didn't see much wrong with the park when Vivendi owned it or has it gone that downhill over the last 16 months (Not much else had changed apart from a lot of the animated bits in Suess Landing not there or working).

As for getting the info from any worker there, that is all well and good but you don't want to have to pay a lot of money to find a lot of the stuuf is not working or being done up! Most of the other parks tell you at the gate if any of the attractions are not working.

Parrothead
28-02-2006, 19:37
I'm sorry you had bad days as well. I did start to think it was just me being too picky[msnwink]

Well, we have been, and as I said earlier, I will not go back, mainly because we dont have small children. I will have to ask my guests what they thought of the park.

Macka
28-02-2006, 19:47
I've been looking at IOA posts for a while and as we're not too bothered about fast rides, I haven't seen anything that would tempt me to go I'm afraid.

chrizzy100
28-02-2006, 21:06
When you're doing things up it can look a mess..we went Christmas and it was not that much of a mess then..just people repainting....you can ask at the gate for any info...or phone...you don't have to pay to get in...simple really..we phone every park before going...you don't want the info on a map after you get into the park...or on a board when you're at the gate..it would be silly to just turn up at any park....I watched IOA being run down..and mistakes made with new rides that could not open...I hope to watch it come back...we had a talk with someone about reopening the boat rides that were closed by the last owner because they did not want to pay the Ins...they are now talking of opening that back up..they had people all over the park asking what people wanted to see and have there....most holiday makers could not be brothered to answer the questions....and walked by...some were down right rude...a lot of the workers are really hoping to see unfinished rides now finished....and closed ones reopened...its costs about $10 extra to get a 2 park one day ticket...so you're really seeing IOA for very little money...you can add an extra day for $30....we go to IOA just for dinner a few time each trip...the workers are friendly....its a nice walk we've found places we never know were there before... because we were not running from ride to ride...I for one will carrying on asking questions when I visit..and not just moaning about the place...unless you tell a company what you dislike...they'll never know...

Parrothead
28-02-2006, 21:30
I did see the beautiful boats moving arround. Are these just for the hotel guests?

djdigitald
28-02-2006, 23:09
Chrizzy, we did ask two people who were located by Wimpeys Burgers what was going on, one said Dudley Dorights was closed (No, Really) and the said they didn't know. I just find it very hard to believe that every other park lets you know at the gates what attractions are closed and universal doesn't.

glasgowmary
14-05-2006, 01:53
we went in jan and there was a board at the entrance saying what was open or not , we are going at christmas so hope things are open as we have always enjoyed it before

Elaine62
15-05-2006, 12:21
anyone been very recently to tell us what is and isn't open? we all love this park and it would be a shame to go in July and not get an opportunity to do whatever we want.

Their website says tht the dragons are closed until 4 June but that is all I can see about any closures.

Elaine

sammibabe
18-06-2006, 01:32
We have also found that Hulk, particulalrly is quiet late on the afternoon, early evening. I think it was about 6.30 ish (beg. June) and the kids did it 4 times in a row as the wait time was down to about 10 minutes. Don't know whether it is like that every day but certainly worth checking out.

domster
18-06-2006, 08:25
IOA is my fav park. Great rides and a good atmosphere.:)

freddiehollie
18-06-2006, 20:53
Both Universal parks are good parks, but they could make information about parks and rides easier to find. We were there in May, in IOA loads of things closed, some shops not open until 11am. Whats all that about? Take your money at gate but keep things closed in park to keep wages down :( We have been dozens of times, and to see this is quite sad. As has been said there are now new owners so I hope this will now improve[?][?] We used to enjoy atmosphere but to see things closed or boarded up is very sad[msnsad]

Albert the Frog
19-06-2006, 01:22
OK I'm panicking now as we are going in August 06-I was last there in March 05 and all seemed well to me-Is it being run down? Dudley Do Right not open!! Blood and Sand that's one of my favourites!! Please put my mind at rest!

Gordons Coming
12-03-2007, 20:11
Is it possible to do I.O.A. AND Universal in one day?

Bit of a rush methinks?

You can get a One day, 2 park ticket apparently.

florida4sun
12-03-2007, 21:01
Possible but not at the time of year you are going, unless you buy the express plus passes onn the day.It would not be much fun either way.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Gordons Cumming
Is it possible to do I.O.A. AND Universal in one day?

Bit of a rush methinks?

You can get a One day, 2 park ticket apparently.
[/quote]

sundowner
12-03-2007, 22:26
A lot depends on the age of your kids. We don't have little ones but we still take a walk around Dr Seuss and have been on a couple of rides there. Our family of adults could spend all day in each of the parks as they want to go on the rides such as spiderman again and again.

Believe it or not, we had not been to Disney (visiting Orlando for best part of 20 years) until this year, and to be honest, not overwhelmed by it all really. Although I can certainly see the attraction.

Give it a go and try the two. You can at least get a feel for the place (as we did with Disney parks).

Mary

CCollins
13-03-2007, 12:41
we love IOA - but when there are no queues we have found that we can get round the park in half a day and then pop into Universal afterwards.

We normally don't go to the shows, but we do all the other rides that are open.

We were really pleased that when we went in Feb Popeye and Bluto's Water ride was open..[clap][clap][clap][clap]

It's been closed on our last 3 visits for maintainence[msnmad]

Pegasus928
13-03-2007, 22:11
And try to plan it so you Popeye and Bluto just before one of the rides like Hulk or Duelling Dragons - that way you get Air-Dried into the bargain. [msneek]

Nikki D
26-04-2007, 22:33
Just laughing my head off there at the speed of your visit to the park. I bet my sister has cut your time. If anyone can find her way round the parks, any parks, its my sister. On big family holidays I need my best running shoes just to keep up with her. Though all said and done she got us round everything. :D

Paula D-S
27-04-2007, 15:51
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Nikki D
Just laughing my head off there at the speed of your visit to the park. I bet my sister has cut your time. If anyone can find her way round the parks, any parks, its my sister. On big family holidays I need my best running shoes just to keep up with her. Though all said and done she got us round everything. :D
[/quote]

Put a pram in front of me I can go forever I'm sure they are charged with duracel batteries..........Nicola I've never got you around a whole park in two hours though.[msnwink]

Parrothead
27-04-2007, 16:19
The reason we got round in 2 hours is simple! Half the rides were closed![}:)] Felt seriously ripped off.

Paula D-S
27-04-2007, 16:25
The reason we got round in 2 hours is simple! Half the rides were closed![}:)] Felt seriously ripped off.
[/quote]

I would have been really annoyed too.

Nikki D
27-04-2007, 16:44
Your right paula it was two hours six mins and four secs. I dont know about the pram having batteries I spent two weeks looking to take yours out. Ha! Ha! [msnsmile2]

florida4sun
27-04-2007, 17:30
did you aslk for a refund? they would have atleast given you return tickets.

[/quote]

Parrothead
27-04-2007, 21:38
Did not think to ask, but then, we will not be going back, so no point. we only went that time, because we had never been before, and we had a 15 year old with us.

aldridgeclan
12-03-2008, 14:41
we all thought it was a fantastic day, i had my mum with us so we took our time walking around, (it was very very hot when we went in july last year), my son and husband went on the big rollercoasters a few times. it is one of the few parks that we all said we cant wait to go back too next year.

July 09,cant wait