PDA

View Full Version : Charter Travel

dodgey memory
06-01-2006, 20:33
For those who have booked flights through Charter Travel don't get caught out like we nearly did. They don't send reminders when the final balance is due. Late pament is £45. per week[:O]. Yes i know they tell you on the booking form but I didn't read that far.

blott
06-01-2006, 20:34
Ooops! We made a note on the calendar as we were determined not to forget it! [msnwink]

06-01-2006, 20:57
Its just a way for them to make extra money!!

Had a bad experience with Charter Travel and would not ever use them even if they are the cheapest[msnmad]

Madabouttigger
06-01-2006, 21:09
Used them last year and had very good service,and a good deal. But this year they couldn't match the price offered from Virgin. (Only by flying with another airline and 1 change - not an option we wanted)

[msneek]

Mick-H
06-01-2006, 21:12
I've been 100% happy with them, nothing has been too much trouble, everything we've chucked at them has been delt with stright away, couldn't ask for more.
[clap][clap][clap]

Katys Grandad
06-01-2006, 22:26
I make no comment about the particular operator but, on a general level, there have been a series of consumer cases before both the courts and Parliamentary committees of late. The rule that is clearly emerging is that so-called 'late payment' charges have to be proportionate to the additional cost to the supplier incurred by the delay.

I'm not saying that it doesn't cost any travel agent £45 for every week a payment is late but each customer has a right to require the supplier to justify the charge IRRESPECTIVE of whether it is contained in the terms of the agreement.

I know what I would do but it is, of course, for each individual to make their own decison.

Robert5988
06-01-2006, 23:00
Likewise I make no comment about any particular firm.

However as a general point I wonder why people(with access to a computer) book with agencies when it is usually cheaper now to book direct with airlines direct on their website.

I appreciate this wasn't always the case, and perhaps this doesn't apply to all airlines. However I have often price checked flights on many sites(Opodo, Last minute.com, Expedia etc) and then direct with the airlines and in every case the airline has been cheaper.

I always fly AA and they give an absolute guarantee that their prices will not be beaten. If you find one cheaper the same day they will refund the difference+ and give you a voucher. However I have often looked for friends & relatives for BA and Virgin flights and these have always been cheaper. I have also seen posts here confirming this for Virgin flights.

I would be interested if anyone has [u]recently</u> obtained cheaper flights from an agency for scheduled flights.

Macka
06-01-2006, 23:25
Robert, I'm with you on this. I just can't see how a dealer could beat the airlines website prices.

Interestingly though, I've just booked 4 tickets to go to Barcelona in early February. Our friends always like to book with their travel agent friend (too much money if you ask me) whereas we'll always book online. I checked BA and got a price of 100 quid. At the same time the agent got the same price. since then the web price at BA has ben swinging wildly. It's been as high as £250! and is now about £180. The agent meanwhile has been able to have the initial cheaper flights held for a day or two so we're booking through her.

So, although an agent can't beat a webprice, maybe they can hedge against price fluctuation. For me though...god bless the web.

Sharon G
07-01-2006, 00:23
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by dodgey memory
For those who have booked flights through Charter Travel don't get caught out like we nearly did. They don't send reminders when the final balance is due. Late pament is £45. per week[:O]. Yes i know they tell you on the booking form but I didn't read that far.
[/quote]
,,,,Always had good service from Charter in the past, although didn't realise that they don't send reminders our anymore!! (they have in the past)

steph_goodrum
07-01-2006, 00:41
"However as a general point I wonder why people(with access to a computer) book with agencies when it is usually cheaper now to book direct with airlines direct on their website."

My main preference for booking with an agent (and in their defence for the last 5 years it has been Charter) is that they often have availability and prices on Virgin that we have not been able to beat by looking direct at the Virgin website and also when booking in advance as we usually do to get the dates we want, they are prebookable with deposit and balance 10 weeks before rather than full payment at time of booking which can make a signifcant difference.

caroline
07-01-2006, 01:21
For our flights last October I checked with United's website and expedia, then I phoned Charter travel, they were nearly £100 per person cheaper + I only paid a deposit of £100 per ticket with the balance 12 weeks before travel, whereas on the airline's own site and on Expedia I had to pay upfront. Charter have also got us a great deal with United on flights this Easter. I'm currently trying to sort flights for next October and I think I may be tempted over to BA as they have some good prices (at least they did 2 days ago [msnscared]) Must go and check them again!

AngelaB
07-01-2006, 01:38
We booked with Charter Travel for our trip in 4 weeks time. We booked with them because they were able to offer us seats on Virgin well in advance of other agents and were slightly cheaper than Virgin themselves.

They dont send reminders though you are correct.

Do they send actual tickets out or are they e tickets and when am i likely to receive them ? Does anyone know?

Many thanks[msnwink]

ravtino
07-01-2006, 02:14
I have also used Charter Travel the last 3 times and they have beaten Virgin and Bmi price each time, so no complaints from me[msnsmile2]

mona
07-01-2006, 14:11
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by AngelaB
We booked with Charter Travel for our trip in 4 weeks time. We booked with them because they were able to offer us seats on Virgin well in advance of other agents and were slightly cheaper than Virgin themselves.

They dont send reminders though you are correct.

Do they send actual tickets out or are they e tickets and when am i likely to receive them ? Does anyone know?

Many thanks[msnwink]
[/quote]

Hi Angela

Yes ...hmmm[msnmad]
We will receive the tickets 7 days before departure.......I was told.
I paid for my tickets in full ~6 weeks ago, but I am still not able to access my own booking at Virgin online and will not receive my tickets for another 2 1/2 months....not happy at all....[msnsad]

Mona

steph_goodrum
07-01-2006, 14:34
Mona
You should be able to ask for the booking reference to access your booking, choose seats etc even if you dont have the actual tickets.
We have always made sure that we can get to our reservation regardless of whom we have booked through.

Ray&Sarah
07-01-2006, 14:37
We have used Charter Travel a few times as they gave us cheaper deals than booking directly with the airlines online. Also (like Caroline) liked the fact that you don't have to pay there and then, especially is its quite along time in advance. I can hang onto my money and get some more interest on it, even though its not much these days.[msnsmile]

07-01-2006, 14:43
I must admit I am against using 'agents' of any kind, I much prefer to book direct with the airline (and likewise for a villa direct with the villa owner). For Florida I use Virgin Holidays Flydrive, not the cheapest way of booking but you do get the flexibility of changing flights (for an admin fee) unlike Charter Travel, I wanted to change my flights and was told No, therefore I lost over £675 deposit, with Virgin Holiday I have transferred flights from last August over to this July for an admin fee[msnwink][msnwink][msnwink]

The other reason for booking direct is if anything goes wrong you get a better and swifter response if you are dealing direct with the airline and not having to go though a third party - the agents - who often are just not interested, a good example of this was August 2004 during hurricane Charley[msnwink]

For me agents are a No No[msnwink] I know I have the experience of being in the airline industry for over 20 years but my advice to anyone would be to avoid agents if you possibly can - just my view[msnwink]

07-01-2006, 14:44
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by steph_goodrum
Mona
You should be able to ask for the booking reference to access your booking, choose seats etc even if you dont have the actual tickets.
We have always made sure that we can get to our reservation regardless of whom we have booked through.
[/quote]

That it not always the case I had this problem when I booked with Charter Travel[msnscared]

Newhomebuyer
07-01-2006, 15:28
The deals with Charter do vary. I think it depends how they sourced the seats.
You certainly cannot always book your seat in advance.
Sometimes it would seem that you can.
I have had positive experiences with them but I always book my seat on arrival at the airport anyway. I have heard people who have been very angry about the seat allocation issue. When I was at Manchester airport last summer 2 families saw my Charter labels and came over to talk to me, they were seething.
Personally, I have no complaints. I do think it is important to read all the small print that we are all guilty of skimming through.

mona
07-01-2006, 16:25
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by steph_goodrum
Mona
[/quote]

Yes we did get a ref . No. and were eventually able to pre-book seats over the phone, but are still unable to access online.
I was told that as soon as I pay in full, tickets can be issued... understandable....but now I have have paid ...
Virgin are telling us we should get in contact with Charter Travel, as they have not yet added our ticket number to their system, Charter travel are telling us to contact Virgin as they have not yet issued our tickets.[V]
This is our first time in Florida and I must say....it has been a lesson .......and I think I have to agree that in future we will go direct with the airline..
If we would've have booked directly with Virgin 2 weeks ago, we could 've saved £ 500.....[msncry]

Mona

Robert5988
07-01-2006, 20:04
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote: We have used Charter Travel a few times as they gave us cheaper deals than booking directly with the airlines online. [/quote]

In my earlier post I conceded that agencies used to be able to book seats at a cheaper price and indeed I have booked flights thro' agencies - Trailfinders etc - as well as on-line companies such as Opodo, Expedia etc.

However the airlines have hit back lately and again as stated earlier I haven't recently found any flights cheaper than the airline's own website.

I tried to call Charter several times last year but only once managed to speak to anyone.(trying to arrange flights for son and daughter) and they were no cheaper.

I am not saying that Charter(or any other agency) cannot provide cheaper seats now, although I have my doubts. If they can, obviously one should buy from them. However I suggest that people should check the airline web-sites that same day.

Benny24
07-01-2006, 22:20
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:[/quote]I would be interested if anyone has recently obtained cheaper flights from an agency for scheduled flights.

Re above quote.....

I have just booked a Virgin flight for 30/4 return with Expedia for £318. Exactly the same price as the Virgin web site. And also on checking the BA flight was cheaper with Expedia than on the BA web site.

Katys Grandad
07-01-2006, 22:49
A couple of points on this:

1. Comparing on price alone can be misleading. There are many fare classes, so factors such as the ability to change, cancel without penalty and earning frequent flyer miles (to name only a few) can be different from one ticket to another. You may be paying less on the face of it but it might be for an inferior product.

2. I do fly a fair amount and have to agree with Robert that, as a general rule, airline's own sites are most likely to give the best pound-for-pound value even if an agent's base price may occasionally be lower. I have also found that they are much better placed than agents to sort things out when problems arise. After all, an agent has to go through the airline to do that on your behalf.

solanasunshine
07-01-2006, 23:02
We've booked our flights through Charter Travel to fly with Virgin this August and it did work out cheaper than booking direct with Virgin. We have also been able to choose our seats on the Virgin site as we have done in the past when we have booked direct with Virgin.
Good point about them not sending reminders as I had forgotten! (Though I daresay Gareth hasn't!)

08-01-2006, 00:14
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Katys Grandad
A couple of points on this:

1. Comparing on price alone can be misleading. There are many fare classes, so factors such as the ability to change, cancel without penalty and earning frequent flyer miles (to name only a few) can be different from one ticket to another. You may be paying less on the face of it but it might be for an inferior product.

2. I do fly a fair amount and have to agree with Robert that, as a general rule, airline's own sites are most likely to give the best pound-for-pound value even if an agent's base price may occasionally be lower. I have also found that they are much better placed than agents to sort things out when problems arise. After all, an agent has to go through the airline to do that on your behalf.
[/quote]

I agree totally[clap][clap][clap][clap][clap]

ellie
08-01-2006, 00:28
Charter have been most helpful in the past few days, organising flights for my June guests. Dawn has been splendid, as it was a complicated booking, with numerous changes, and she did manage to better the best price they had found.

We have used them ourselves several times, and they are usually cheaper, but the main advantage is that they do all the spade work and usually come up with several options.