PDA

View Full Version : Validity of passports, please help

Molly33
06-01-2006, 04:18
I know this has been asked recently but i am desperate to clarify things in my own mind!We are going to disney in feb and my two childrens passports expire in April. Tomorrow i am planning on running around like a bat outa hell to sort photos, forms, signatures ecetera to renew their passports. Just this minute reading here that i dont have to, is this true?? over the moon, if so!!

Southsider
06-01-2006, 05:04
As far as I know there must be six months left on a passport when travelling to USA.

blott
06-01-2006, 05:14
The definitive answer from the US Embassy website. http://london.usembassy.gov/cons_new/faqs/faq_visa_niv.html#niv079

pepsi
06-01-2006, 06:21
If you are travelling to the USA as far as I am aware there has to be at least 6 months left on your passport. Unfortunately, this means you will have to renew your children's passports.

blott
06-01-2006, 07:32
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by pepsi
If you are travelling to the USA as far as I am aware there has to be at least 6 months left on your passport. Unfortunately, this means you will have to renew your children's passports.[/quote]That's not so - check out the US Embassy link I posted above.

rosie
06-01-2006, 10:17
Thanks for the link Blott. I always knew this was the case but could never get anyone to believe I had read it, as I couldn't find it again. We have used our own passports when there was only 2 months left on them, with no problems.

dodgey memory
06-01-2006, 13:18
Hi Molly even if that is the case you must check with your carrier. I know Virgin will not let you board if your passport isn't valid for 6 months. Crazy but true.

emm
06-01-2006, 13:47
I agree with that, Dodgey Memory, as I have heard that it is the airlines who insist on the 6 month thing.

mizzy
06-01-2006, 13:48
its fuuny that this should come up again

i asked this question on the forum and also with virgin
first virgin sent me an e.mail saying 6 months after you leave

then i contacted them again and sent them the above link from Blott asking if the 6 months was definately correct when the Us embassy says 90 days and then i got another e.mail saying it will be ok to travel

i have printed out the e.mail and the info of the US embassy so if there is any dispute i will have some evidence at check in

it may be helpful if you send some e.mails off to your airlines customer service asking them to confirm that you are ok with your current childrens passports before dashing about trying to renew them

Mizzy

shockey
06-01-2006, 15:36
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:then i contacted them again and sent them the above link from Blott asking if the 6 months was definately correct when the Us embassy says 90 days and then i got another e.mail saying it will be ok to travel
[/quote]

Actually, you don't even have to have 90 days left. If you don't, you just get admitted until the date of expiry on your passport.

Anyone who does not have a British passport needs to check the US Embassy website carefully, because the 6 month rule does apply to some nationalities.

dodgey memory
07-01-2006, 20:50
While the Embassy web site has the accurate information its trying to prove it to the jobs worth on the check in desk at the airport I wouldn't fancy Just imagine if they refused to let your child fly. I would go for the safe option and get those passports renewed.

nrbeard
08-02-2006, 00:35
Molly,

If you go on the US Embassy website it shows the following;

"if travelling under the visa waiver program the passport must be valid for at least 90 days from the date of entry . If not, the holder will be admitted until the expiration date on the passport"

Therefore, you are fine but take a copy of the website info with you as the airlines sometimes need convincing . It happened with us with BA last year .

Neil

trevlad
08-02-2006, 01:49
we are in the same position the kids passports expire in may. the tickets came from charter travel/virgin today and in the literature it refers to the 6 month rule, we were going to dash to durham where i believe you can pay about £70 extra to get them within a couple of hours - interesting

markandpam
08-02-2006, 02:17
Both myself and my son have flown to the US with 2 months left on mine and only 6 weeks on my sons passport. We had no problem at all and were told by the guy on the desk that as long as it was valid on the day you fly back to the UK that was all they were interested in.

Pam.

Robert5988
08-02-2006, 03:00
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote: we are in the same position the kids passports expire in may. the tickets came from charter travel/virgin today and in the literature it refers to the 6 month rule, we were going to dash to durham where i believe you can pay about £70 extra to get them within a couple of hours - interesting[/quote]

I think quite a few of the airlines/travel companies have yet to modify their literature to reflect the new ruling that removes the 6 month rule.

Having said that I am not certain of the position of visitors from countries that require a Visa as they do not qualify under the Visa Waiver programme. It could be that Virgin might be flying visitors from, say, Outer Mongolia to the USA and the 6 month rule applies to them.

andrewandcarole
08-02-2006, 03:06
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by dodgey memory
While the Embassy web site has the accurate information its trying to prove it to the jobs worth on the check in desk at the airport I wouldn't fancy Just imagine if they refused to let your child fly. I would go for the safe option and get those passports renewed.
[/quote]

100% agree with this comment - having been victim of jobs-worth check in staff recently. My son-in-law was refused boarding by Delta a few weeks ago and we had to go without him. When I checked with immigration in the US they official said he would have admitted him - no problem.

For peace of mind - get the passports renewed. Believe me - if there is a problem at check in it will be awful for you. If your flight happens to be overbooked you'll be an easy target.

Carole

ALR
08-02-2006, 22:46
I agree, always check the passport, it isn't worth the disappointment of a cancelled trip[msnsad]

ALR