PDA

View Full Version : Renting Cable TV

Aiminghigh
31-12-2005, 14:58
Over the last couple of years, we have stayed in a fantastic villa which has absolutely everything going for it EXCEPT it has a very limited selection of TV channels compared to villas we have stayed in before. It doesn't bother anybody except for my 17 year old and I do like to keep everyone happy on holiday.
We may decide to book a different villa through this site(believe me, I am currently looking through lots of replies and am overwhelmed by the fantastic choices) but I wondered if it is possible to rent some sort of package whilst we are there.

Thank in anticipation

SunLover
31-12-2005, 15:09
It will depend on which supplier the particular owner is with Carole.

As with all companies, they have different rules when it comes to changing your viewing package.

Some require notice to do so, others may require the owner to stick with that new package for several months etc., so it might not be as easy as you make it sound.

My advice would be to contact the owner of the villa you have stayed at previously, since you were happy with the accommodation, and just ask if it is possible.

The great thing about arranging your own accommodation, especially if you are renting through the OV sites, is that you can always get these questions answered directly by the owner.

Have fun. :)

Genie
31-12-2005, 15:32
I think most of the TV over there is rubbish anyway. It therefore helps if the owners have DVD available there are loads of places nearby to rent the latest films out ( even ones that are not out over here yet ) so keeps them happy, also the Playstations are very popular ( even for the " big " kids )

Aiminghigh
31-12-2005, 16:24
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Genie
I think most of the TV over there is rubbish anyway. It therefore helps if the owners have DVD available there are loads of places nearby to rent the latest films out ( even ones that are not out over here yet ) so keeps them happy, also the Playstations are very popular ( even for the " big " kids )
[/quote]

I so agree! But 17, going on 18 year olds can be a bit fussy over these things and I want to do what I can to make sure he still wants to come with us[msnsmile2]

chrizzy100
31-12-2005, 18:43
We have Brighthouse and can turn channels on and off in minutes by phone...so maybe if you pay an owner upfront the extra cost.....about $30/$50 they'll do that for you if they use the same company.....you can go to the Brighthouse site to get a list of the channels you want......

Cruella DeVilla
31-12-2005, 18:44
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Aiminghigh
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Genie
[/quote]

I so agree! But 17, going on 18 year olds can be a bit fussy over these things and I want to do what I can to make sure he still wants to come with us[msnsmile2]
[/quote]

We have digital cable HDTV and find there is lots to watch as we have over 200 channels, better half has just watched his beloved Arsenal live and is already looking forward to Tuesday when the next match is on live. I actually enjoy the TV as my favourite programmes are on everday, such as Law and Order, CSI etc.

chrizzy100
31-12-2005, 19:14
Having the same shows on day after day soon gets old CV......CSI was my fav show.....now after 3 years of repeats I can't watch it any more......not even the new shows that get lost in the old ones.....

31-12-2005, 23:16
We have had this problem in the past Carole, we asked the villa owner if we could pay them extra to have the full tv package for the 3 weeks we were staying in their villa, they were happy to organise this for us[msnwink]

We also have done this with the internet too[msnwink]

Aiminghigh
31-12-2005, 23:37
Thanks all-will email management co and owner to find out who the supplier is and whether they can arrange it. Only problem is, I've become addicted to looking at all the alternatives [msneek][msneek][msneek]

31-12-2005, 23:44
I know the feeling Carole!!![msnwink]

Cruella DeVilla
01-01-2006, 01:49
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by chrizzy100
Having the same shows on day after day soon gets old CV......CSI was my fav show.....now after 3 years of repeats I can't watch it any more......not even the new shows that get lost in the old ones.....
[/quote]

Law and Order is in something like series 16 so I still get to see episodes I have not seen, I love Without a trace, Cold case, The shield etc etc, so I can always find lots to watch. I am currently watchng 57, HGTV: designing and home decor, also like the cooking chanel!

chrizzy100
01-01-2006, 02:51
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Cruella DeVilla
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by chrizzy100
[/quote]

Law and Order is in something like series 16 so I still get to see episodes I have not seen, I love Without a trace, Cold case, The shield etc etc, so I can always find lots to watch. I am currently watchng 57, HGTV: designing and home decor, also like the cooking chanel!
[/quote]

Have you tied 'Bones' and 'House' yet..??
I'm not sure if they are on Brit TV.....

Flip this House is also good....look out for a show about buying holiday homes....I wish i could remember the names of shows...but we don't watch much TV..just DVDs...

I loved US TV till I moved here.....I just can't take the repeats...we watch TV about 3 times a week..Mon...Tues..and Fri..if the TV is on any other time its Fox News..or Discovery etc..we watch the Brit crime shows Monday night.....PBS Brit shows 'Bones' and 'House' on Tues....and the Scifi channel on Friday..

julieanne
01-01-2006, 04:33
CDV I love CSI, L&O etc etc too [clap]

Cruella DeVilla
01-01-2006, 07:48
They are entertaining aren't they Julie! If pushed SVU is my favourite as I love Elliot as he is alway pushing the boundaries and getting into bother to get the bad guys!

01-01-2006, 18:48
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by julieanne
CDV I love CSI, L&O etc etc too [clap]
[/quote]

Me too Julie!!!!

I love Extreme Makeover too[msnembarrased][msnembarrased]

supersneak
01-01-2006, 20:18
Bones starts on Sky One on the 12th January.

SDJ
12-01-2006, 18:30
We have just added cable and high speed internet. Will I get hubby away from the football!!

Sandra.

Cruella DeVilla
12-01-2006, 18:54
Yip Chrizzy Bones is starting this week, looks good!

Julie, Extreme Makeover Home Edition has me in tears everytime I watch it:D

Stephen and Pam
15-01-2006, 13:17
Strange that Extreme Makeover sometimes has me close to bubbling as well and I think CSI is great. just getting into House as well[msnsmile] Stephen

Stephen and Pam
15-01-2006, 14:14
We also upgraded our standard package to Digital and gained a extra bunch of channels which included a free western movie channel[msnsmile]