PDA

View Full Version : Orlando without the Parks

K4LGB
16-06-2003, 18:49
Does anyone just go to Orlando for the climate and food?
We are discussing whether we should venture back into Europe when our wee one arrives in October.

Babette says the flights are too long but she hates the santitation arrangements in Spain/Greece/Turkey.
I don't mind the flights and love the more or less gauranteed weather but if you don't go to the parks would a villa holiday soon get tiresome?

Cheers
Les

Andy & Arlene
16-06-2003, 19:12
No.

We haven't been to the parks for a couple of years. During the trips we've had over, I spend my time shopping and sunbathing (with a bit of DIY thrown in as well).

But my kids would disagree with me. We also own a timeshare in Orlando. They actually prefer staying there to the villa, because there's a lot more going on and they can meet heaps of other kids.

We're actually going to the timeshare in October, so it really will be shopping & sunbathing as there is someone staying in the villa at the same time, so no chance of any DIY. What a shame (not!!)[8D][8D]

chrizzy100
16-06-2003, 19:45
It would drive me insane to just sit around all day now.....but....saying that if I'd not long had a baby it would be heaven to sit by a pool...read.....watch movies.....go shopping....to the beaches.....use a hot tub if not breast feeding or still having high PB after having a baby....:)
Silver springs is still a nice day out with a young baby.....

If you have not booked the villa yet....find one with lots of films...American tv makes me pull my hair out....a hot-tub if you can use it....and a large pool to swim in....and lots of space to sit outside in....after having a baby..I would be as happy as a pig in dirty for a few weeks.....and I'm not even a swimming pool person....

KingKong
16-06-2003, 23:09
quote:Originally posted by K4LGB

Does anyone just go to Orlando for the climate and food?
We are discussing whether we should venture back into Europe when our wee one arrives in October.

Babette says the flights are too long but she hates the santitation arrangements in Spain/Greece/Turkey.
I don't mind the flights and love the more or less gauranteed weather but if you don't go to the parks would a villa holiday soon get tiresome?

Cheers
Les

Hi Les if i had just had a newborn then longhaul flights would be no no for me.

I am curious of your comment on sanitation in Spain?I find Spain has better standards than most and that includes UK.But with a newborn i suppose you are gonna be extra wary of picking up a bug.Now if i was off to Asia id be sanitation worried but the EU is pretty safe me thinks.Just not drinking tap water and using bottled water is the only thing u need do.(I never even drink UK tap water when back home).

Most bugs in EU is from the dodgy all inclusive hotels and is usually caught from food.

[8D]

mm69340
16-06-2003, 23:17
See- I knew I must be insane....

As someone who has nursed 6 babies- I would find a long trip to be MUCH easier with a nursing infant- than say an active 2 y/o. Then again I am a huge advocate of discreet nursing.

I don't think you would be bored- probably relaxed. THe wether is nice for daily walks and such.

MTP
16-06-2003, 23:43
We have found that the flights with our two youngsters to be relatively easy, and we usually start the trip with a flight from Inverness at about 7.00am! We made a decision with our children that as we love travelling, especially to America, then our children would simply have to get used to it. We have been fortunate a few times to get bulkhead seats with sky-cots, but even without, don't be put off.

On our first trip to Florida we routed through Toronto with Air Canada and broke the journey there, so that neither flight was too long, but to be honest it is probably just better getting on the plane and going for it. It may also be worth considering paying for a child seat, even while the child is under two, as that can give a lot more space.

We are going to try our first American Airlines flight in December so it will be interesting to see what the space is like on that, the routing is horrendous, but we are taking my mum for a bit of the holiday and she didn't want to pay for direct flights.

My opinion is that when you are on the plane it doesn't really make a huge difference whether it is for a few hours for Europe or for ten hours for Orlando, basically one day of the holiday each way is taken up with the flight.

Aileen also found that breast feeding our children during take off and landing was a good way of calming them (and her) and also helping with the ears adjusting for the air-pressure (the children's, not hers!).

Hope that this all makes some sense! Best wishes,

Euan

fiona
17-06-2003, 01:56
Took my daughter aged 4 months to Spain. Staying in MIL's flat for 2 weeks, with an overlap of a couple of days. Wonder how I stayed breatfeeding! After the joys of managing on the beach (there was no pool) feeding myself discreetly, worrying about crying etc. give me a villa anytime.

Next daughter we took to a hotel in UK when 6 months olds. Spent entire holiday missing my supper to tear upstairs when crying started (children not allowed in dining room under 9. Next holiday youngest was 10 months, also in flat in UK. Teething had just started. Even with au pair with us guess how much sleep I got. Need I go on? After that experience we gave up hols until youngest was 2 (eldest aged 5) and we went camping - in a caravan in France. Great success and we did that until we discovered Florida.

If we'd done the villa thing when they were little guess where we would have been?!!;)

chrisj
17-06-2003, 01:57
We flew to Orlando when our daughter was 6 months old, No problem at all. We stayed
on the gulf coast and had 2 weeks on the beach, Best holiday ever. As for Spain well
like most of Europe very unclean, no real clue about personal cleanliness so hence all
the problems (in my opinion).

I would go for it, our daughter slept for most of the flight which was great.

Chris

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
17-06-2003, 02:13
We took both of our children to the US when they were around 5 months with no problems at all. They slept most of the way both ways - the joys of having a sky-cot :). Also I'd agree milk for them on take off and descent / landing is vital.

Ruth
17-06-2003, 03:04
I agree with Karen, a baby is a doddle on the flight compared with a toddler:DEven then I have found the long flights okay and would have no problem recommending giving it a go:)

mikewj
17-06-2003, 03:24
My wife (Sue) is currently 6 1/2 months pregnant and we've already booked our trip to Florida next June.

I can't see us not doing the parks (the joy of the baby swap), albeit at a slower pace, but I'm sure that there will be more time spend around the pool and taking in some of the area's more tranquil sights and sounds.

Of course it helps that we're going for a little longer and staying in a villa as opposed to a hotel !

I was wondering about flying with a 9 month old, but nobody else on the forum seems to have had any problems.....here's hoping !

K4LGB
17-06-2003, 16:21
No disrespect to Spain or Tenerife intended KingKong but you often find that mass produced holiday apartments all over Europe have been built with sub-standard (too narrow) plumbing and you end up having to use a bucket instead of just flushing sanitary products or risk blocking the system which is even worse! - it is pretty standard throughout "package holiday" Europe unfortunately and is something that neither of us think we should have to put up with.
The US is just like home but fortunately the weather is somewhat better [8D]

Regards
Les

KingKong
17-06-2003, 19:29
:DNo offence taken:D

Dont get me wrong i love USA(got married in Hawaii)thats why i like coming on this sight now and then.

Maybe the Canary Islands have more modern accomodation than mainland Spain (Benadorm,Malaga etc)because i have never heard of tourists slopping out their apartments or hotels so to speak over here (Lanzarote)ever.

[:o)]

chrizzy100
17-06-2003, 23:48
I hate yankie plumbing.....lol....its one of my big moans here.....I'm hoping its going to be better in the villa.....:)

Jasonb
20-06-2003, 00:18
Les
We have three children, the eldest first flew to florida at 11 months, the second at 9 months and we were really brave with the 3rd who was just 6 weeks old. It is soo much esier with a baby than a toddler. We also had no issues whilst in Florida, enjoying both the parks and also relaxing days at the villa.

The middle one did pick up a bug whilst there, a quick visit to Centra Care, an antibiotic shot and 6 hours later we couldn't belive the difference. We wouldn't have had that any where else, so it didn't disrupt our holiday and we all had such a great time.

Even now, the children are aged 12, 6 and 2 and they are fine on the plane as they are used to it, having flown at least once, if not twice a year.

We do try and have break, last time going into Philly with US Airways - no problems, they were fed and watered and just wanted a bed by the time we arrived in Orlando.

We now have to wait until Christmas until our next visit - 177 sleeps and counting !!

athurstance
20-06-2003, 19:59
We've holidayed all over with the boys since they were born. They have grown up quite comfortable with flying and it probably bothers them less than me - after all they have lots of space even in economy. The introduction of seat back tvs has helped since they got older.
I would happily travel to Florida with a small baby though. Perfect place to chill out in the villa, pool on hand, air-conditioned comfort. Not that I plan on having another one to test it out though - two is quite enough for me.