PDA

View Full Version : Travel City - First Class

Frosty
18-12-2005, 19:25
Hi Everyone,

I have read lots regarding Travel City and have myself had the misfortune to fly with them previously.
However i have just snapped up 2 seats in the first class section flying in January.
The deal was too good to miss and the thought of 50" seat pitch really appeals to me.

So the question, has anyone else sampled the first class seating on a TCD flight and if so what did they think of it ?

Does anyone know how old the planes are ? their webitse mentions new 747-300 for 2005.

Katys Grandad
18-12-2005, 19:35
Well, 50" seat pitch is 50" whatever airline it is, so leg room is great.

I flew on TCD's 'Sunshine First' a few years ago. The 747 was VERY old and neither of the seat recline mechanisms on my or my wife's seats worked. We had different seats on the return and 1 of the seat recline mechanisms actually worked that time. I very much doubt if they are still using that aircraft

To be fair, the service was definitely better than in the economy section and the crew tried hard to make it a bit special but we felt it was a pretty inferior product and haven't used it since. It's nowhere near the experience of scheduled Business Class.

I suppose it depends on how much you have paid as to whether it's a good deal.

18-12-2005, 20:02
To answer your question re age of TCD 747-300's here are some examples

TF-AME Travel City Direct Boeing 747-312 first flight 17.10.1984 so 21 years old, 9 previous livery changes with different airlines.

TF-AMJ Travel City Direct Boeing 747-312 first flight 01.02.1984 also 21 years old, 16 previous livery changes with different airlines.

Hope this helps
[?]

Frosty
18-12-2005, 20:34
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Mach 2

TF-AME Travel City Direct Boeing 747-312 first flight 17.10.1984 so 21 years old, 9 previous livery changes with different airlines.

TF-AMJ Travel City Direct Boeing 747-312 first flight 01.02.1984 also 21 years old, 16 previous livery changes with different airlines.

Hope this helps
[?]
[/quote]
Not the news i wanted to hear[msnsad], just where do you get info like that from Julie[?]

18-12-2005, 21:20
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Frosty
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Mach 2

Hope this helps
[?]
[/quote]
Not the news i wanted to hear[msnsad], just where do you get info like that from Julie[?]
[/quote]

Sorry, I know what you mean, there are various web sites that that have that info, they often track the aircarft and its different owners and registrations from manufacture to date, here are the links to the two above...........

http://www.planemad.net/Production_List/Boeing/747/747-300/23032.html

http://www.planemad.net/Production_List/Boeing/747/747-300/23030.html

You will notice they both started service with Singapore Airlines in 1984 which is a very good airline[msnwink]

agod
18-12-2005, 21:49
Dear neil & Kay

Where do I start, apologies to Julie, as I know her thoughts on that outfit.

I have traveled with them many times, the planes are old, and my wife hates them, but I love the excitement of it all, I think its just like a Indiana Jones movie, flying with them, Den de did dem, den dim den (hum the the tune)
now years ago it was Air Atlanque charters, and the first class was upstairs, nice 50inch seats and decent service, with your own toilets, now its up the front of the plane, with a screen across and you have to use the cattle class loos with everyone else, service is rubbish, and the entertainment is none existent, and as someone has said, the seats dont work.
On the plus side,the reasons I go with them are priority boarding, 747's get you there quicker,non-stop, Sanford Airport, easier than MCO, and 40 kilos luggage allowance in First Class.
But it might not be for longer as we are going in March, and have just been told that the plane will be an Excel 767, so we will see how that shapes up.
On the minus side they are always having a breakdown, causing havoc to all there other flights, you can only go in 1 week or 2 week flights, customer service none existant, and prices are not that cheap anymore, If I could find a carrier out of Gatwick into Sanford, with the same pluses I would be on it.
As someone has said as well, Business class on other carriers far outshines TCD First class service.

Alan

LiesaAnna
18-12-2005, 22:11
we flew Air Atlantic/Excel in sept, and the service was fab!!!! we were put in the front of the plane only two seats in the middle and one of them was mine!!!! space to stretch our legs!! our own little area to walk about it when seat belt signs were off! we had our own toilets and the galley was up our end!! the staff were fab, it was an excel 747 plane, the staff were great with me when i started being ill towards the end of the journey!! i wouldnt mind flying with them again, if i knew i was going to sit "upfront"
now on the way back we had an Excel smaller plane (we were told it was one used for short haul, altho leather seats and brilliant staff we had no room to move, very tightly packed in!!! but as it was half empty the staff allowed to us to fold the seats down in front to stretch out a bit!!
all in all it was a lot better then what i had feared!!!
so enjoy, after all you'll be in florida in no time at all!!!

Frosty
19-12-2005, 02:30
I know that they don't compare to business class, but where in the world would you get business class for £308 each.
For that money i had to book them, and like i said before, i have travelled with TCD before and they were [bad language filtered out], but i just expected a little more from the first class cabin, hence the question.
Thanks to everyone for the input.

Katys Grandad
19-12-2005, 08:19
The seat pitch alone is easily worth that price, so that's a good deal.

19-12-2005, 10:00
I think, as with most things you get what you pay for[msnwink]

Macka
19-12-2005, 12:36
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by agod
Dear neil & Kay

I have traveled with them many times, the planes are old, and my wife hates them, but I love the excitement of it all, I think its just like a Indiana Jones movie, flying with them, Den de did dem, den dim den (hum the the tune)

Alan
[/quote]

[laugh][laugh][laugh][laugh]

Alan, superb![laugh][laugh][laugh]

Can't stop laughing at this..!!![laugh][laugh][laugh]

Rather you than me Indie!!