PDA

View Full Version : Moving To Florida - UK Criminal Record

movetoflorida
11-12-2005, 17:13
Hi

I got in a bit of trouble in the UK over 10 years ago which caused me to have a crimnal record, I am interested to know if this stops you from moving to the US?

I run a business here in the UK organising events and conventions and could easily organise the same sort of events in the USA.

Would it be possible to get a visa to do this? Or would the recordstop me from doing so?

I have searched on many forums and posted but never been pointed in the right direction by any answers.

I could still run the compsany here in the UK as well as in the USA.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

esprit
12-12-2005, 04:34
You would be looking at L1 inter company transfer. You would have to declare the conviction on the visa application and a memorandum of conviction obtained from the court. and they would make a decision on the facts, a lot depends on how bad it was, a major felony ot anything drugs related no way, something minor may get through ok though any application with convictions on may be sent for administrative processing which means it will take longer to come through.

movetoflorida
15-12-2005, 00:21
Hi Julie.

Thanks for your reply, speaking from a real dunce when it comes to US terminology, what is considered a major felony?

I have never killed anyone or had any drug offences, basically it was a fight and deception. What would that count as any ideas? It was at least 15 years ago may be more.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

blott
15-12-2005, 00:33
I think you'll find it's:

1. One of several grave crimes, such as murder, rape, or burglary, punishable by a more stringent sentence than that given for a misdemeanor.

movetoflorida
15-12-2005, 02:23
Where would I findinformation on the Li1 visa? Would that be the best one to go for?

Could this lead on to may be moving to the US full time?

Am I right in saying that you can stay in the US for 6 months at a time with a break in between?