PDA

View Full Version : CATS

Cruella DeVilla
09-12-2005, 19:06
Well we have not had a poll for a wee while and I notice a few Cat avatars. So which camp are you in.[}:)] Pictures welcome[^]

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
09-12-2005, 19:11
I love cats but cannot be near them as I'm really allergic to their fur and start itching and my nose blocks up if a cat comes anywhere near me [msnsad]

julieanne
09-12-2005, 19:28
Don't like cats [V]
Every cat in the neighborhood uses my front garden as a public cat toilet [msnmad][gun]

Sorry cat lovers ......

stabard
09-12-2005, 19:54
They are OK in someone elses home and garden!
Lee is really allergic like you John - he has asthma attacks if he comes into contact with them so they are banned from our house.

Not just cats tho - dogs are the same if it is any consolation to you pet lovers.

dawn
09-12-2005, 19:54
I love cats - in fact we have just got 2 gorgeous kittens, 1 tortoishell and 1 tabby, non-identical twins[msnsmile2]They are of course the non-shedding, house trained variety[msnwink]

SunLover
09-12-2005, 20:01
Well Pete is also allergic to cats, so we are (or were until our lovely golden retriever Oscar passed on) a strictly doggy household.

IMHO you can't beat a loyal, loving canine companion. Dogs are just brilliant !!! :D

mizzy
09-12-2005, 20:03
i like my friends cat its really cute until it brings you a nice dead bird or mouse then expects you to say well done you clever boy then its not so cute

would rather not own one though too much responsibility for me

Ray&Sarah
09-12-2005, 20:24
They are okay as long as they live in someone elses house, not into pets here.[msnsmile]

chrizzy100
09-12-2005, 20:26
I used to breed cats...but we've not had a pet since moving to the USA......and I like it that way.....I miss my dogs..... because I would like to sled on the beaches in the winter.......but they took up all my free time.....that part I don't miss.....

blott
09-12-2005, 22:46
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by julieanne
Don't like cats [V]
Every cat in the neighborhood uses my front garden as a public cat toilet [msnmad][gun]

Sorry cat lovers ......[/quote]And there I was thinking I was the only one with the garden problem... There are about 20 altogether and we've tried everything to stop them scratting up the plants afterwards! [msncry]

dbrook
09-12-2005, 23:05
I love my cat dearly, who must know it is Christmas time and kindly brought me my Christmas present early - a little robin [gun][gun]

Newhomebuyer
09-12-2005, 23:40
We have always been 'dog people' (used to breed harlequin great danes)but because we lived in a very rural area we got a cat to keep mice away. He lived to be 21 years old and became a real member of the family. He seemed to think he was a dog anyway. We were all heartbroken when he died.I can't say I love cats but like many of our much loved dogs, Corky crept into our hearts and there was a great big hole there when he died.

normajohnp
10-12-2005, 00:52
Sorry in advance to all you cat lovers.This thread could get nasty, I know were I live that the vast majority of people would lynch the cats here.[msneek]

Norma.

Paula D-S
10-12-2005, 01:03
Sorry cat lovers but I would rather have a dog any day

sheenallan
10-12-2005, 01:12
I just adore cats ,I have four at the moment 3 boys 1 girl,they very affectionate and love being petted,I also love dogs we had a border collie who lived to be 15 and he also loved his furry feline friends.
Sheena.

Fourdents
10-12-2005, 01:33
Well, it depends on the cat....

some have real character. Guess it's like people....some you take to ..others you don't.

Linda

Paula D-S
10-12-2005, 01:49
My first memory of a cat is not a good one. We used to have a cat called Guiness, I can remember being about four years old when he brought in a mouse and dropped it at my feet I ran away to the kitchen and somehow got an electric shock from the cooker.... that is probably where my fear comes from.

I do know he was only trying to be nice bringing me a gift.

E. Cosgrove
10-12-2005, 01:55
Don't do pets, bringigng up 2 kids was hard enough, and besides anything else I am far too selfish[msnsad]

Jules
10-12-2005, 02:21
I voted other as I really don't like them but not because they smell.

I don't like the way our neighbours cat pee's up my front door or the way it sits on the bonnet and walks all over the windscreen of my car. I don't like the way all the cats in the neighbour hood use our garden as a toilet or sit tormenting the frogs in our pond (the heron had the last of the goldfish long ago). I think that kittens look cute in pictures but I am allergic to cats, dogs and horses so I actually prefer pictues of them all rather than the real thing.

My brother has springer spaniels and I think they are lovely from a distance but they do smell, particularly when they come in wet from their walks, but I wouldn't say I didn't like them. I wouldn't have any of them in my house though.

LiesaAnna
10-12-2005, 02:45
i have one, and it took me 17 years of asking Steve if we could get one, shes cute but am not sloppy with her, she is called mollie, and is 8 years old now tortishell, we got her cos everyone elses cat around here used to use my garden as the public toilets for cats! now i have my own putty tat they dont mess in mine! .............nor does she!! payback time!!! well one neighbour has 9 cats!!![msneek]
will post a photo over the weekend of her, she is pretty but is scratched nose at the mo! little fighter!!

KJH
10-12-2005, 03:07
The neighbour has cats, and they pee on anything upright. The garden in the summer stinks:(

I do not understand how anyone can have animals in the kitchen, let alone cats that walk along worktops, and then sit their bums on them. YUK!

Most cat owners say, "I don't let mine do that" but I have yet to be in a cat owners home and NOT seen the cats on the sides.[sick]

Sorry, I like animals, just not over kitchens and bedrooms. You can never tell where they have been, let alone know what they have done. [confused]

fiona
10-12-2005, 04:50
I am more of a dog person - I do have 2 old english sheepdogs! But we have a little black moggy, or did. He was last in last in last Saturday morning and we have not seen him since. It is very upsetting as we go to Florida on Tuesday and we are going to spend the whole holiday worrying about him. He would be 15 in January. I have done a leaflet drop in the area and put up notices, notified all the local vets, charities etc. and he has not been handed in. We all keep thinking we here him coming in squawking his head off, the not knowing what has happened to him is the worst. His last gifts to me were a mouse last week and a rat about a month ago! Prior to that he had not bought things in for years.

luckylady
10-12-2005, 05:25
I can love or leave them but when they pull my plants up and toss soil everywhere
I would like to strangle those little moggies:D:D

pepsi
10-12-2005, 05:56
We have a cat but this would not have been my choice. He belongs to my daughter - a birthday present from her Godparents when she was 10. She is now 17. She desperatly wanted a pet and at the time we thought this was an easier option than a dog because they are more independent and don't need walking etc. Previously we had owned a dog for 15 years - a mongrel that looked very much like Tramp from the film Lady and the Tramp. He was lovely but it was difficult when we went on holiday and we felt guilty leaving him in the house at night if we went out, as he had been in the house all day whilst we were at work.

Cruella DeVilla
10-12-2005, 11:33
I am in the don't like cats much camp but it stems from my neighbours two cats trashing our garden, the final straw for me was when one of the cats killed a little bird in our garden who had a nest full of just hatched chicks in our nesting box and they all died because she was not there to take care of them and daddy bird abandoned the nest. I was distraught to find her chewed up. I wanted to take the nesting box to the Vets but Andy told me no, it's natures way so they just died in he nesting box and Andy had to tip it out into the forest behind the house.
I was so upset/angry I could not speak to my neighbours. The cats broke all my plant pots, garden ornaments, peed in the back corner of the lawn, dug up the lawn and plants etc etc.

I tried absolutely everything form lemons to Chillis. The best tip I had was to go to the zoo and get some Lion Dung, but my German does not go that far!

I think cats are like women they only come to you when they want something[msneek]

Paula D-S
10-12-2005, 11:40
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by KJH

I do not understand how anyone can have animals in the kitchen, let alone cats that walk along worktops, and then sit their bums on them. YUK!

[confused]
[/quote]
I seen a friends cat doing this once, I couldn't even have a drink of her now[sick][sick][sick][sick]

Cruella DeVilla
10-12-2005, 11:43
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by caitlin
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by KJH

[confused]
[/quote]
I seen a friends cat doing this once, I couldn't even have a drink of her now[sick][sick][sick][sick]

[/quote]

Mmmmmmmm I am not a fan of that situation either. My aunts cats roam around the kitchen and it puts us all off too.

LiesaAnna
10-12-2005, 13:23
Kaz you will NOT find mine on a worktop!! she has tried and i had to politely "move" her
we even make her go out at night so she doesnt get on the tops away from the dog, even tho they love each other

Ray&Sarah
10-12-2005, 13:29
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by E. Cosgrove
Don't do pets, bringigng up 2 kids was hard enough, and besides anything else I am far too selfish[msnsad]
[/quote]

Definately Liz, 2 sons is enough for me to tidy up after.:D

LiesaAnna
10-12-2005, 18:14
http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/LiesaAnna/2005121014950_14FF7039-E009-AFE6-D52D9509770039CE.jpg

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/LiesaAnna/20051210141445_1502AD75-E398-2E58-ADBB4051A49A0D49.jpg
why dont they pose when you want them to????

Ray&Sarah
10-12-2005, 21:41
She looks kind of cross Liesa.[msneek][msnsmile2]

LiesaAnna
10-12-2005, 22:22
wouldnt you be sarah with a camera shoved in front of you!![msnwink]

solanasunshine
11-12-2005, 01:32
Love your photos Liesa! Adorable [msnsmile2]

LiesaAnna
11-12-2005, 02:03
wouldnt a quite say that [msnwink]

Southsider
11-12-2005, 04:32
I am afraid of cats, dont know why - but I love dogs we have 2 of them

Angela - I have a Harlequin Great Dane called Murphy!! Big old softie he is:)

jaff
11-12-2005, 06:42
give me a dogn anyday to chase the cat to git it oot o ma site

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/jaff/2005122221627_ani_banner001.gif

Cruella DeVilla
11-12-2005, 12:36
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by LiesaAnna

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/LiesaAnna/2005121014950_14FF7039-E009-AFE6-D52D9509770039CE.jpg

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/LiesaAnna/20051210141445_1502AD75-E398-2E58-ADBB4051A49A0D49.jpg
why dont they pose when you want them to????
[/quote]

Liesa that looks one p*ssed off putty cat[msneek]

LiesaAnna
11-12-2005, 13:45
[laugh][laugh][laugh][laugh] yeh shes always like that!!! looks like me!!!!!my face is always looking p***** off when i got a camera in front of it!![laugh][laugh][laugh][laugh]

Newhomebuyer
11-12-2005, 15:36
Hey Tricia we could be related by dog[msnsmile2]
We had a fabulous dog. We called him Boot but his show name was Wellington Wellesley. He did father quite a few off spring and some of them have appeared in adverts on the tele.
He made a great nanny to our son.. He helped him to learn to walk and would come and tell us if David woke up in the night and toddled downstairs.
I always hang around at the end of Pets Ahoy at Seaworld just to get close to a Harlie again.
Any pictures of Murphy available?

Ray&Sarah
12-12-2005, 01:18
[laugh][laugh][laugh][laugh] yeh shes always like that!!! looks like me!!!!!my face is always looking p***** off when i got a camera in front of it!![laugh][laugh][laugh][laugh]
[/quote]

Mine too Liesa.[msnwink]:D

Mags
12-12-2005, 03:04
We have 2 cats they are both Ragdolls but they definitely do not walk on the worktops, even though I love them to bits that is not allowed.
The only time they are ever outside is in the summer if they are in the garden with me. They use litter trays which are cleaned every day.
Their names are Bailey and Jack Daniels and I will put a picture of them on tomorrow.[msnsmile2]

djdigitald
12-12-2005, 12:14
Give me a dog any day, they have a sense of purpose. Cats just [bad language filtered out] all over other peoples gardens and spread disease.

dawn
12-12-2005, 12:25
Here is a picture of our kittens

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/dawn/2005121282022_princess.JPG

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/dawn/2005121282050_sassy.JPG

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/dawn/2005121282525_ps.JPG

They are slightly bigger now

LiesaAnna
12-12-2005, 13:21
oh how cute!! they remind me of when Mollie was a baby!!![msnwink] oh and then she grew up!

Ray&Sarah
12-12-2005, 22:23
Really sweet Dawn.[msnsmile2]

resorthomerentals
18-12-2005, 21:17
I don't care for cats, but my kids love them. I'm allergic to them so we will never have one in our house. Which is fine with me because I can't stand when they walk around on the counter tops. I don't like animals on the furniture at all. It makes me crazy when people allow pets on furniture, and then move them off so their guests can sit in the shed hair YUCK! Our dog has her own bed - on the floor!

Our neighbor's cat loves to wander around our yard also. I can't stand it. IMHO if you want to have a pet, keep it at your house. Don't just let it always wander the neighborhood!

zerotone
20-12-2005, 00:27
We have a cat called Scooby, even though myself, hubby and son are all allergic to cats. We all suffer from Asthma and have allergic reactions to other peoples cats but after a couple of weeks with our own cat the allergic reactions are controlled. My doctor is not very pleased that we have a cat but I have had cats in the house all my life. Our last cat 'Mitzy' lived to 18years old and was a real character. She would fetch things like a dog and loved to ride in the car sat on the parcel shelf. I never needed a cat box when taking her to the vets she would just sit on my knee and never tried to get off once. Scooby is also a bit of a character and loves xmas time with all the tinsel and decorations to destroy[msnwink]. Both of our cats were found at the RSPCA and were going to be destroyed if we hadn't of taken them.

I'll stop now I could go on forever about animals, I love them all.

Jane

CarolAnn
20-12-2005, 01:23
Would love to have a kitten, but to be fair, kittens barely exist, they are small just cats??[msneek] Not quite as cute are they?[msneek]

Macka
20-12-2005, 17:25
Well I am surprised by the anti cat feeling here, I love all animals, particularly cats and dogs. We've got a cat now who goes to the toilet in the same place in OUR garden which we clean up, it didn't take too long to train her to do this. Conversely, We had a Rhodesian Ridgeback for 14 years and I've got to say, Although I loved him soooooo much, he trashed my garden. I won't go into detail but you could never, ever allow a child into our garden when we had a dog, dogs carry toxicariasis, cats don't. And the bigger your dog, the bigger the problem. Cats are harmless by comparison. I do appreciate that if a cat that is not yours fouls your garden, this would be of little comfort.

I'd spray it with water from a powerful hosepipe, that'll deter them more than anything else.

julieanne
22-12-2005, 14:29
Wish I lived next door to you Macka - then I might not have a cats toilet in my front garden :(

orlandodaze
29-12-2005, 06:15
Our cat is Shadow really believes that she is human , she thinks she should join us eating dinner at the table and that she should sleep in a bed . She is rather adorable though our other cat Starlight dissapeared last summer when we were in Florida , and in spite of weeks of searching when we returned we never did find her , and we still miss her .

Cruella DeVilla
29-12-2005, 08:20
For the cat lovers, a cute kitty someone sent me!

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/cruella devilla/2005122942018_cat.jpg

Macka
29-12-2005, 12:10
Bless, little scamp.

Ahh sorry to hear that Olive, yes of course you'll miss her for ages.

(get another kitten, it helps.)

sheenallan
29-12-2005, 12:27
Looks just like a cat we had "Minty",she had one blue eye and one brown eye ,she was a lovely natured cat who lived with us for 18 years,we still miss her.One of my cats disapeared over 18 months ago,he was rather special,he suffered with what would be kidney stones in a human,he cost me a forune in vets bills and had to have a special diet,i still miss him and wonder what happened to him,he was a little cutie and very michevious ,we called him Spanky.[msncry][msncry]
Sheena

LiesaAnna
29-12-2005, 13:36
sorry to hear of these poor cats going missing, so sad, having said that wheres my mollie today? she always comes in when the dog is let out! and she hasnt!!!!

dawn
29-12-2005, 16:58
Can't wait to see our kitties again - have been away now for nearly 2 weeks, they must have grown a lot by now

LiesaAnna
29-12-2005, 20:27
i bet they have!!

mollie came in!! she heard me making lunch earlier, and is such a scrounger!!!

Ray&Sarah
30-12-2005, 01:47
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Cruella DeVilla
For the cat lovers, a cute kitty someone sent me!

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/cruella devilla/2005122942018_cat.jpg
[/quote]

Very cute CDV.[msnsmile2]

Don't want one though, not into pets.[msnsmile2]

orlandodaze
30-12-2005, 05:24
As I write this Shadow is behind me on the computer chair , a favourite haunt of hers . I ve been trying to get the kids to send her picture to the forum but they dont have time or inclination .Actually thats my only fear about going on holidays next year what if Shadow runs away like Starlight did last Summer . Too awful to consider .

LiesaAnna
30-12-2005, 13:01
cant you put her in a cattery (is that what its called) then you know she will be safe?

Mags
01-01-2006, 16:24
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by orlandodaze
As I write this Shadow is behind me on the computer chair , a favourite haunt of hers . I ve been trying to get the kids to send her picture to the forum but they dont have time or inclination .Actually thats my only fear about going on holidays next year what if Shadow runs away like Starlight did last Summer . Too awful to consider .
[/quote]

That is why my 2 cats do not go out they are house cats, I would be distraught if they were missing. I know where they are at all times and they are not messing up the neighbours gardens. I hate leaving them when we go away and I am now arranging cat sitting duties for when we go to Florida in 10 days time with my son and daughter who do not live at home.
Photos's as promised earlier.
Both Ragdolls

Bailey - Colourpoint
http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/mags/200611121543_bailey.JPG

Jack - Bicolour
http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/mags/20061112168_jack.JPG

sheenallan
01-01-2006, 17:51
We have built a pet petitentionry for when we go away,it consistes of a shed with an aviary built onto it,so our friends down the road just have to unlock the shed and fed them,it works really well as our friends dont have to worry where the cats are,we also have a nursey heater on a timer for when it is cold and we are away.
Sheena.

LiesaAnna
01-01-2006, 18:53
thats a good idea!!! maybe mine would like something like that seeing as she prefers to be out then in the warm with us!!!

Thorogoods
08-01-2006, 13:38
Soory hate cats, again my neighbour has cats they spend more time in Garden than in theirs using it has their toilet.:(

smiler
08-01-2006, 14:27
I love my putty tat. She is called Misty and she will be 19 years old in April. She has arthritis in her hind quarters and now has to take medicine for the rest of her life, which I hope will be for a few years yet as she seems to keep well otherwise. As we live in the country for a while she was taking in mice but as she is getting older we haven't had any for about 3 years, getting them in the loft though and still can't figure out how they are getting in.

She doesn't go out much now, even less with the cold weather. She will sit at the door as if she wants to go out and of course when you open the door she just saunters off, fooled again. And she only uses her own garden when she does go out (Davy's saying something unprintable). But now have a litter tray as we feel that is easier on her arthritis so she doesn't have to go digging in the hard ground.

Would show you a picture but everytime I try to insert a photo it never works for me, don't know what I am doing wrong. Have tried following the instructions but it never works. Have managed to crack inserting my avatar though.

Ruth
08-01-2006, 23:58
I love cats AND dogs. Before we had the children we had 11 cats and 5 dogs at one time (all resuced). Now we have 4 cats (plus 2 strays who we feed) and 2 dogs. We help the local cat and dog charities at work, they do a fantastic job:)

sheenallan
09-01-2006, 15:50
I am the same as you Ruth love all animals we used to have 10 cats and a boarder collie called "shep" sadley he died about 18months ago leaving my husband really shattered,shep was a mans dog although he loved me and adored all the cats,we are now down to four cats,we are not repacing any of them when they go as we fell it is,nt right to leave them to long and we really do want to spend more time in Florida
Sheena

LiesaAnna
09-01-2006, 17:52
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Ruth
I love cats AND dogs. Before we had the children we had 11 cats and 5 dogs at one time (all resuced). Now we have 4 cats (plus 2 strays who we feed) and 2 dogs. We help the local cat and dog charities at work, they do a fantastic job:)
[/quote]

just like to say good on you Ruth, people like you do a fantastic job to![clap]

my mum took in a rescue cat many years ago and it was like a ferral! so it had to go, it was mad!!! but sooooo cute!!
we have mollie the mad cat who keeps licking her lips looking at the hamsters in their cages!! must keep and eye on her! has anyone any idea as to why my dog who is now almost 13 keeps on whining, he seems to do it for attention, but we send him to his bed in the kitchen as we cant stand it, we have shown him the newspaper and threatened to donk him one, but he is si loud and earpiercing!!! there are times we both agree he should go, he never used to do this but started this about 5 years ago, so hes not ill, any suggestions? he is a cross staffordshire bull terrier/whippet lurcher probably speaks for itself really with the whippet?

Ray&Sarah
09-01-2006, 21:01
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by sheenallan
We have built a pet petitentionry for when we go away,it consistes of a shed with an aviary built onto it,so our friends down the road just have to unlock the shed and fed them,it works really well as our friends dont have to worry where the cats are,we also have a nursey heater on a timer for when it is cold and we are away.
Sheena.
[/quote]

Some friends of mine have the same arrangement, leave the cats in the "cage" and a neighbour feeds them and checks on them, works well when they go away.[msnsmile2]

florida4sun
09-01-2006, 22:41
I used to hate cats but love them now. When we were living in Florida Hannah left for shcool one halloween morning. 2 minutes later she is back in the door holding a tiny kitten. Turned out to be a ferrel and "Pumkin' has been with us ever since. She flew back to the UK with British airways, the cost for that, the vet and 3 months quarantine ran to around £1700, but she is worth every penny. a real character cat:)

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Cruella DeVilla
Well we have not had a poll for a wee while and I notice a few Cat avatars. So which camp are you in.[}:)] Pictures welcome[^]
[/quote]

Ruth
10-01-2006, 00:30
It could be a sign of senility LiesaAnna if it started after he was about 8 years old. Alternatively it could be a different behavioural problem. There are a few treatments out for problems such as these now. It would be worth discussing it with your vet the next time you are in with him.

[i]
has anyone any idea as to why my dog who is now almost 13 keeps on whining, he seems to do it for attention, but we send him to his bed in the kitchen as we cant stand it, we have shown him the newspaper and threatened to donk him one, but he is si loud and earpiercing!!! there are times we both agree he should go, he never used to do this but started this about 5 years ago, so hes not ill, any suggestions? he is a cross staffordshire bull terrier/whippet lurcher probably speaks for itself really with the whippet?

LiesaAnna
10-01-2006, 01:57
touch wood we havent had to see a vet with him for a long time, hes pretty healthy! but the way things are going i will give him to a dogs home soon, i have had a headache all day and felt yuk!, and all he is doing is this awful whine! we have tried making a fuss, walking him, letting him out the back garden incase he needs to go quick, all sorts of things and i cannot take it anymore!!!!!!! i have xhausted all efforts and dont wnat to spend a fortune taking him to a vet as i really dont think there is anything wrong with him! wish there was (i know that sounds awful but i would make allowances for it) but i think enough is enough!

Ruth
10-01-2006, 02:37
Liesa, if he is whining all the time then there is something wrong with him. He may be in pain, or it may be a psycological problem. As he can't speak he is unable to tell you that he has a severe headache for example. At the very least a trip to a vet may tell you that clinically they can't find anything wrong. A consultation would not cost that much and then at least you would know that you have had him checked over. If you have had enough but don't wish to go to the expense of taking him to a vet, then I suggest you contact a charity such as The Dogs Trust, to see if they will take him from you. He may not be rehomable unless they can sort his problems out, but they are a very good charity and will do their best.

LiesaAnna
10-01-2006, 03:50
thanks Ruth i know of them but will try everything possible first, but honest to God i have had enough, all day and all night! whine whine!
when he plays he does it to get attention so we thought thats what its all about, it was after our holiday to florida in 2004 our daughter came here with her partner to look after him, we heard him in florida get louder and louder................down the phone!! to the point of screaming!!! would love to know why and what its all about! this holiday our neighbour looked after him in our home (she got him for me 13 years ago) and he had such a sore throat from whining when we got back!!!

Mags
10-01-2006, 12:22
Hi Liesa, I think Ruth is right a trip to the vet is needed to check out all possibilities. It is very unusual for a dog to cry that much and for so long unless they have a problem. Once you know what the problem is then maybe you can get him sorted out. He will be very difficult to rehome with his problem at the moment but as Ruth says The Dogs Trust would be able to help in taking him to a kennel if you felt you could not cope with him.
Good luck.

LiesaAnna
10-01-2006, 13:04
we wont get rid of him, but it does drive you to despair at times!!!
i do think we will take him to the vets for a check up!

Ruth
10-01-2006, 13:26
Liesa, if he mainly does it when you are away from him it may well be separation anxiety. There is an excellent drug to help treat this, and you vet may well recommend that you try it. There are also desensitisation techniques which help. You really need to phone your vet for advice. At our hospital we employ a wonderful veterinary nurse who specialises in animal behaviour. Your practice may well do the same. Our nurse gives free advice to clients who are having problems with their pets, give your vet a call:)

LiesaAnna
10-01-2006, 13:43
no its not when we're away Ruth, although yes he does do it then, its all the time! its constant, my son has a downstairs bedroom and he hears him during the night!! he does this all day and all evening!! every day!!!

Ruth
10-01-2006, 16:53
Then please at least phone your vet for advice. At night counts as being away from you if he can't get to where you are sleeping. Whatever the cause, he needs treatment as this behaviour is not normal and neither he or you should have to live with it.

LiesaAnna
10-01-2006, 17:55
will do Ruth..........

sorry to have hijacked this thread[msnscared]

Ruth
11-01-2006, 03:45
Yes, we seem to have taken it over Liesa[msnembarrased]I am sorry too[msnembarrased]

Sharon Denyer
11-01-2006, 21:08
I love cats had them all my life, when I was born, Mums two Persian Queens each had a litter of 6 kittens each. Lots of early picture with them. The Male use to guard outside my door and would never let anyone come near my room/crib. If they tried to watch out. I think he must of associated me somehow with the new kittens. I think cats just sence my love as I can get a wild cat to eat out of my hand and allow me to stroke it in very little time. Strays always know where to come. Glad to see they have relented a little and pets can cross to Europe. Wish I could take mine to Florida each time, he'd hate the flight but I think he would be happier with me then the upset he goes through when I go away. He's so spoilt I always have to get someone to stay at my house to look after him. Couldn't manage without my sister as she usually stays. Great house protection as well as I have awlful UK neighbours another story but I bet they would win gold metal for being the worst. Anyway back to Poll - Love Them To Bits. - Sharon

andrewandcarole
05-05-2006, 21:58
Strange that this thread should be resurrected today.

My cat has been diagnosed with oral cancer this morning and we are all so upset. I have just collected him from the vets and he's feeling a little bit sorry for himself, having had surgery to remove the tumor.

His prognosis isn't good - but he'll have loads of TLC.

Carole

owen3
06-05-2006, 05:23
Hope your cat is ok Carole, just spoil him.
Barbara

LiesaAnna
06-05-2006, 13:19
sorry to hear your cat is poorly, lots of love and cuddles on the agenda! not fair they cant tell us theyre poorly, hope everything goes ok for her and you XXX [grouphug]

CarolAnn
06-05-2006, 14:03
Ever thought where they have just been when you cuddle up to them after some time outside the house[msneek][msnscared]yuk!! Kittens are cute, but...no cats not really for me[msneek]

andrewandcarole
06-05-2006, 14:08
Each to their own Carol - but my two cats are part of the family and we are desperately upset that we are faced with a serious illness.

Carole

Mags
06-05-2006, 16:52
I am so sorry to hear about your cat Carole as previously posted on this thread we have 2 beautiful Ragdoll cats that we absolutely love so I understand how you feel.

They do not go outside unless in our own garden supervised so we do not have a problem wondering where they have been or what they have been up to.