PDA

View Full Version : Cost of Living

SheilaF
06-12-2005, 21:24
Hi Everyone

I know its been asked and answered before, and I have looked back at other postings etc. but they were listed over a year ago so i would be eternally grateful if any of you over there could let me know (approximately) how much we will be paying out.
We won't have a mortgage so that saves us a bit, how about

utilities (we are three adults and will look for a four bed house
car ins. (2 cars initially)
House insurance
TV (cable/sattelite)
Internet
Do they have the equivalent of poll tax?

Anything i have forgotten. I know its a bit late in the day but i really NEED to make a budget,

many thanks

SheilaF

p.s. the situation is not quite so gloomy. I have spoken to our Lawyer who will apply for a green card when we arrive, so hopefullly I will be able to work within a few months.

Cruella DeVilla
06-12-2005, 21:50
Telephone
Pest Control
House alarm/Monitoring?
Pool and lawn care unless you are going to do it yourself

A whole host of other things no doubt as we pay out an awful lot each month whether we are living/staying there or not.

You really do need to have cash to burn and not be blinkered about the Green card issues. I say this as we are planning to move over in next 18 months and have researched lots. We are lucky as we have a second income which will be invalueable while we get the business up and running and also prove to immigration that we can live there and support ourselves!

blott
06-12-2005, 22:07
If you add around 10 - 20% to the previous prices you saw a year ago, you'll be about right.

Oh boy Sheila, do they have the equivalent of poll tax! Depending on the house you have in the UK and the one you buy in Florida, you'll probably find it's around twice as expensive or thereabouts for Florida property tax.

Our TV and broadband cable package is $98 a month - that's for 70 programmes. Satellite is more expensive than cable.

Don't forget that you need to add water charges which are metered and therefore expensive.

Esprit has car insurance for two vehicles so I expect she'll be able to tell you that and also about residential house insurance.

SheilaF
06-12-2005, 22:18
Thanks everyone, CDV we will be able to live ok on hubbys pension (private) whilst we are sorting ourselves out. Its not a huge amount but its a regular income so will cover day to day living in the first instance.

We will be looking to buy a house with no pool

Blott - I thought there may be good news there with the poll tax !! At least the cable TV is the same as we pay here for SKY.

SheilaF

Cruella DeVilla
07-12-2005, 01:18
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by SheilaF
Thanks everyone, CDV we will be able to live ok on hubbys pension (private) whilst we are sorting ourselves out. Its not a huge amount but its a regular income so will cover day to day living in the first instance.

We will be looking to buy a house with no pool

Blott - I thought there may be good news there with the poll tax !! At least the cable TV is the same as we pay here for SKY.

SheilaF

[/quote]

Sheila, you will also have the bonus of looking in Orlando or further afield if you want as you do not have to buy a home in a STR zone! I am sure the prices will be more reasonable.

chrizzy100
07-12-2005, 01:37
I find the cost of living in FL more inline with the costs I had in England......up here in the frozen North its a different story.....heating and food bills are very high...I find both a lot cheaper in FL....
I think car/house Ins and taxes are things I find high in FL..and I live in MA where they say taxes are high...but they are lower up here then in FL....
with good credit...you can find good deals in time....we have hundreds knocked off our Ins because we have good credit....

A lot of homes are for sale in the Disney area.....so prices should stop going up at the silly rate they have been.....builders are giving really good deals for new builds....and people are dropping their prices to sell..all good news for the buyers......

Cruella DeVilla
07-12-2005, 01:48
Hey Chrizzy, where ya been?

SheilaF
07-12-2005, 02:04
Thanks ladies, I am not so depressed tonight. Ever have that feeling you want something really bad, but SCARED of attaining it?

"with good credit...you can find good deals in time....we have hundreds knocked off our Ins because we have good credit...."

Krizzy - how long does it take to build up good credit?

So pleased to see the house prices dropping slightly. New build or resale ? there doesnt seem to be much difference.

Quite fancy Lake Mary or Winter Garden. Good areas? Would love to be near Disney but thought we would be priced out of the market there.

SheilaF

chrizzy100
07-12-2005, 02:38
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Cruella DeVilla
Hey Chrizzy, where ya been?
[/quote]

I've been in FL for a few weeks....came back home yesterday to a snow storm.....[msnscared]

chrizzy100
07-12-2005, 02:43
Thanks ladies, I am not so depressed tonight. Ever have that feeling you want something really bad, but SCARED of attaining it?

"with good credit...you can find good deals in time....we have hundreds knocked off our Ins because we have good credit...."

Krizzy - how long does it take to build up good credit?

So pleased to see the house prices dropping slightly. New build or resale ? there doesnt seem to be much difference.

Quite fancy Lake Mary or Winter Garden. Good areas? Would love to be near Disney but thought we would be priced out of the market there.

SheilaF

[/quote]

I would say it takes a few years...to build good credit..
I had a look around for other areas last week....but I love the Disney area......I also love living in a STR area.....if you find a good realtor you could pick up a bargin....if I can find my one's new e-mail I'll DM you her info.....if not my neighbour in FL is a realtor for new builds....he is sure to know someone good.......

SheilaF
07-12-2005, 03:23
Thanks Krizzy, much appreciated.

Will check in tomorrow, its bedtime.

Sweet Dreams,

SheilaF

esprit
07-12-2005, 04:21
We pay $4500 to insure two cars on one policy, they are nothing special, Mitsubishi Montero Sport with business use and Chrysler Sebring without, we have a 20 year old with a two year driving record on and that weights it. Home insurance, well I pay $1600 a year but it isnt a cheap house!
Credit rating, we had a good one after two years.

Cruella DeVilla
07-12-2005, 12:57
I agree with Julie the house insurance is a big one Sheila, ours is $2000 a year. Personally I would think you might get a better deal on a resale than a new build. I too would consider Lake Wales and Winter Garden. Why do you want to be near Disney? Our eventual plan is to buy again in Naples although if the right property came up wheer we are I would certainly consider it.

SheilaF
07-12-2005, 18:53
Thanks again for the house/car insurance details, at least it gives me something to work with.

Now all i need is for the dollar to shoot up to 2 a pound so our pension/income goes further!!!

Dare I ask - telephone / pest control ? Sorry to be a pest myself but its a great help to have a general idea of cost.

SheilaF

blott
07-12-2005, 19:14
Telephone is around $25 - $30 a month line rental and the call cost is obviously down to how many you make and where to! There are quite a few cheap call options though via various carriers, particularly for residential rather than rental.

For cell (mobile) phones, you pay to receive calls as well as make them in the US. You're unlikely to be able to get a cell phone account without a credit rating but PAYG is available with various companies.

Pest control (inside) is around $10 - $25 a month. You also need a termite bond which is around $105 - $200 a year, depending on company, for an annual inspection. If you're buying a resale, make sure that it has a termite bond in place as retreatment is quite expensive, at $1k - $2k. New builds should have this included as part of the purchase price.

chrizzy100
07-12-2005, 19:22
Thanks again for the house/car insurance details, at least it gives me something to work with.

Now all i need is for the dollar to shoot up to 2 a pound so our pension/income goes further!!!

Dare I ask - telephone / pest control ? Sorry to be a pest myself but its a great help to have a general idea of cost.

SheilaF

[/quote]

Our pest control is $70 every 3 months..........but to be honest if I lived in my home..I'd do what most locals do and buy stuff from a hardware shop.....then have a yearly spray or one when needed....we only found a few bugs in our place after a storm....and most were dead from the spray we put down inside......the bug people can't get into our house......so we spray indoors ourselves....we find dead bugs sometimes because we need to replace the strip under the door to stop water getting in...apart from the odd small spider...I've only had one live nasty in the house....

chrizzy100
07-12-2005, 19:23
I agree with Julie the house insurance is a big one Sheila, ours is $2000 a year. Personally I would think you might get a better deal on a resale than a new build. I too would consider Lake Wales and Winter Garden. Why do you want to be near Disney? Our eventual plan is to buy again in Naples although if the right property came up wheer we are I would certainly consider it.
[/quote]

Wow......I moan at $600...

Cruella DeVilla
07-12-2005, 19:48
How I wish Chrizzy ! Sheila our pest control is $25 a month.

Robert5988
07-12-2005, 19:48
Sheila,
Just a question?

Why would you want to live near Disney and/or particularly in an STR area? From another post your husband is 69 so presumably you will not be wanting to dash off to see Donald Duck a lot.

Houses in much better areas are cheaper and there is a far better community spirit; it is difficult to achieve that with a constant turnover of tennants.

Is there a specific reason that makes Orlando your choice? There are some beatiful communities within an hours drive of Orlando, without the traffic chaos of Orlando.

The property tax(like out council tax) can be very expensive in Florida. It is calculated on the assessed value of your property(this is usually much lower than you paid)and the area in which you live. It is not easy to find out how much you will pay - previous owners in your property (or a similar house next door) could pay much less than you will pay, as property tax increases can be frozen for permanant residents. The tax can run to several thousand US$.

SheilaF
07-12-2005, 20:09
Thanks so much Blott, Chrizzy and CDV, I really do appreciate your help and advice. It gives me a general idea of what to expect.

I know we should have worked out a budget months ago but i got a reasonable Health Insurance quote from IMG Global and thought we would be fine financially then BAM they move out of Florida and the quotes I am now getting are astronomical.

Robert - Living near Disney is a dream - now I have my "adults" hat on and realise we will get more for our money further out. If it was up to hubby and myself it would be Sarasota, but Orlando (or the environs) was chosen because our son is 17 and he just loves the buzz and energy of the place.

Plus, although it would be great to be part of a local community, we also like the idea that there are lots of Brits in Orlando.

Thanks Blott for the tip about the termites, it will go in my trusty notebook. I have learnt so much on here, owe you all a nice glass of wine.

SheilaF

chrizzy100
07-12-2005, 20:11
I live in rental area's.........both in FL...and on the Cape...now I would not live anywhere else...I know all my neighours in both places......its quiet a lot of the year...........and full of kids playing and happy people the other part.......you become very close with year round neighbours......you have great fun watching holiday makers......its like having a 9ft by 9ft TV screen showing you reality shows.........[msnsmile2][msnsmile2]

You need a good mix of locals and rentals homes.........some places do look very lonely..

Arby
08-12-2005, 01:00
[/quote]

Having got friends and two members of my family living there, they tell me that Lake Wales and Winter Garden are to be avoided. Their choices are Lake Mary, Winter Springs, Oviedo, Casselberry, Geneva, Winter Park and so on. With children involved, area is all important for schools, colleges and influences! Hope that helps.

Cruella DeVilla
08-12-2005, 01:22
Arby, Sheila's husband is 69 so I am presuming schools and colleges are not an issue unless there is something Sheila is not telling us;)[laugh] Sheila is your son wanting to study, I would have thought you would have mentioned if that was part of the equation?

Arby
08-12-2005, 01:29
She has a son I'm told.
But apart from that, although some of these areas may look on first appearance ok, and the prices be right for houses, often there is a reason why...it's because they are not desirable places to live. I know for fact Winter Garden and Lake Wales aren't known for quality. Neither is Kissimmee or Davenport. I think she might like the other areas I suggested.

Cruella DeVilla
08-12-2005, 01:41
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Arby
She has a son I'm told.
But apart from that, although some of these areas may look on first appearance ok, and the prices be right for houses, often there is a reason why...it's because they are not desirable places to live. I know for fact Winter Garden and Lake Wales aren't known for quality. Neither is Kissimmee or Davenport. I think she might like the other areas I suggested.
[/quote]

Arby,

I find your remarks a bit offensive. It is a bit of a generalisation.

chrizzy100
08-12-2005, 01:43
Most of the new homes are in Davenport........its a large area..I know they were talking about renaming the four corners area...because it too far away from Davenport.........

You can have a bad area just a block away from your home in the USA....and be in a good neighbourhood ......its not a bit like living in a bad area in England........

esprit
08-12-2005, 02:31
A number of the areas you have picked I guess are on the list for Seminole county schools, supposed to be good. I like Lake Mary but Winter Park is an expensive area, if we are directing Sheila to Winter Park we may as well add Dr Phillips to the list, even Windermere or dare I say Celebration. I have never heard anything bad about Winter Garden and a lot of people swear by Clermont, not the vacation home area near four corners but the old town. If you are looking at Lake Wales, then Lakeland also deep into Polk county, is up and coming and has its fans.

SheilaF
08-12-2005, 02:50
Hi Everyone

My son is 17 (18 in March) and not sure if he wants to study or not. I know, he should really be making his mind up by now, but at the moment he has a job and enjoys working. I think he would prefer to work. So schools are not really an issue.
Where to live is sooooooo confusing. The places I know of from previous visits are Winter Park, Lake Mary, Windermere, Dr Phillips, and Celebration. We would love to live in any one of those neighbourhoods,on the other hand will we get more house for our money in somewhere like Winter Springs etc. We don't have a specific place in mind, I love the look of Harmony (thanks Esprit) and thats near St Cloud.
We like the availability of a community pool/fitness centre - any ideas on that?

Maybe its easier to ask - which areas should i avoid !!

Keep em coming please, its much appreciated.

Sheila

chrizzy100
08-12-2005, 03:15
Hi Everyone

My son is 17 (18 in March) and not sure if he wants to study or not. I know, he should really be making his mind up by now, but at the moment he has a job and enjoys working. I think he would prefer to work. So schools are not really an issue.
Where to live is sooooooo confusing. The places I know of from previous visits are Winter Park, Lake Mary, Windermere, Dr Phillips, and Celebration. We would love to live in any one of those neighbourhoods,on the other hand will we get more house for our money in somewhere like Winter Springs etc. We don't have a specific place in mind, I love the look of Harmony (thanks Esprit) and thats near St Cloud.
We like the availability of a community pool/fitness centre - any ideas on that?

Maybe its easier to ask - which areas should i avoid !!

Keep em coming please, its much appreciated.

Sheila

[/quote]

My son is 18 in March....both my kids love the Orlando/Disney area........you can only take so much small town USA....and they have had their fill.....time to move on...[msnsmile]

If you are in no hurry to find a home straight away.......why not wait till you move over and take your time ......

SheilaF
08-12-2005, 03:24
Hi Chrizzy

Harry is the 10th March how about your son?

Yes we will take our time when we get there, mainly because we are undecided about the area and want to get it right.

Sheila

Robert5988
08-12-2005, 03:49
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Maybe its easier to ask - which areas should i avoid !!
[/quote]

Sheila,
Any objective advice about undesirable areas in Orlando will only cause offence.

I read somewhere that a poll found that less than 1% of Londoners had visited the many theatres in their city in the past year and I suspect it is much the same for the Attractions in Orlando. I have relatives with teenage children who live in the area and they, and their friends, very rarely visit the Attractions.

Arby
08-12-2005, 04:03
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Arby,

I find your remarks a bit offensive. It is a bit of a generalisation.
[/quote]Sorry no offense was meant, I was just trying to offer my opinion that's all.

esprit
08-12-2005, 04:29
Sheila, will he be able to work on an O visa?? Doing a few college courses would help him socially to integrate with US teens and couldnt do him any harm. Look at the Valencia campuses or Polk community college if you end up in Polk. Areas to avoid?? With a child of that age, avoid any sundivisions which are predominantly wacation rentals and have no resident teens. The area round North Orange Blossom Trail wouldnt be recommended. Most other areas have good and bad in them, for example Winter Park has some lovely homes and some are right next door to shacks, thats the way it is here.

chrizzy100
08-12-2005, 05:43
Hi Chrizzy

Harry is the 10th March how about your son?

Yes we will take our time when we get there, mainly because we are undecided about the area and want to get it right.

Sheila
[/quote]

Chris was born on the 9th.........[msnsmile]

chrizzy100
08-12-2005, 05:46
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Robert5988
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Maybe its easier to ask - which areas should i avoid !!
[/quote]

Sheila,
Any objective advice about undesirable areas in Orlando will only cause offence.

I read somewhere that a poll found that less than 1% of Londoners had visited the many theatres in their city in the past year and I suspect it is much the same for the Attractions in Orlando. I have relatives with teenage children who live in the area and they, and their friends, very rarely visit the Attractions.

[/quote]

We go so often......the people who work at the parks all know us by sight.......[msnsmile]

I must own up to not going to the Cape's beauiful beaches........but then I'm not a beach person....

SheilaF
08-12-2005, 16:28
Hi Everyone

Thanks to everyone again for their input,

Its a gorgeous sunny winter day here, I have spent the morning in the loft. I HATE going up there butI am the smallest in the family, hubby and son are 6 ft and over - I have to get up there. There's stuff up there that we havent touched since we moved here 17 years ago, getting it through a small hatch is a nightmare. Note to self: dont buy another house with a loft.

Robert - Harry's no 1 choice would be to live near to the parks. Although we dont go too often its great to have the option there. The fact that he can walk around downtown disney and not be abused by gangs of drunken youths (our city centre is a no go area) makes him feel comfortable.

spoke to our Lawyer this week and she tells us that once she applies for a green card we are then eligible for work visa's which will take around 3 months. Thats good news for us as I would also like to get back in to my profession - travel and tourism. Also working will help towards the dreaded Health Insurance. I am becoming paranoid about this, I think we just have to get our heads round paying for medical needs. Over here I get all my prescriptions free and anything I ask the doctor for, he lets me have. Tests etc. no problem. Sorry I am waffling.....

Chrizzy - Your pain had just finished when mine started then!! Not sure if "H" a typical Pisces.

flyrr100
08-12-2005, 16:29
Sheila, I live in Winter Springs. We have three kids, two cars, a 4 bed house with a pool, cable, cel phones. And many bills! Florida isn't a cheap place to live. Our cost of living increased by around 20% when we moved here from Ohio. Insurance is high, and it's about to get higher!
The nice thing, for buyers, house prices are finally beginning to platau (sp?).
Go ahead and PM me with any questions. I'll gladly give you a list of my monthly bills. All bills here are monthly.

chrizzy100
08-12-2005, 20:14
We go to the parks to have Sunday lunch....then have a walk....maybe go on a fav ride or two.........then have an ice-cream.....
we have a lot of new contacts for jobs in Orlando for Hubby..so we are hoping to still have more free time and longer holidays than the norm in the USA.......I know a lot of people get next to no free time after moving over here from England ...so I don't want to leave a company in MA that gives long hoildays...just to move to FL full time .......