PDA

View Full Version : Flight tickets prices seems high this summer !!

PascalH
05-12-2005, 16:54
Hello :)

I am planning a trip in Florida next summer 2006 and after checking I did not find anything less 800 € for Tampa, Miami and Orlando [msneek] every company. I am very surprised.

I know fuel prices increased ticket prices however I flight on Iberia ( Miami) and BA ( Tampa) on 2003 and 2004 and paid less 500 € per ticket. Last year we travelled in the south west ( Utah/ Arizona) and I got round trip Paris -> Pheonix for 450 € on US Airways.

Do you think it is to early to have better prices for next summer ? Or too late ...

blott
05-12-2005, 18:09
Have you tried the link at the top of the forum? They can often get you flights cheaper than on the internet so they're worth a try.

PascalH
05-12-2005, 18:58
I will.

I did an inquiry two years ago and prices were similar to what I got directly on the web.

Thanks ;)

PascalH
06-12-2005, 17:04
Ok I got the answer : more than 600 £ without tax from London to Tampa or Orlando, flying Virgin or BA on July or August.

It is very expensive, more than twice I paid the previous years. What happen ? I don't understand ...

Tonish
06-12-2005, 18:17
Welcome to "School Holiday Rip Off Season"

I first discovered this last year, having been used to cheap Florida deals for a long time. I tried everywhere to get flights at a sensible cost - there are 6 of us and last year we took my parents as well, so the cost can get staggering. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any escape. Last year I booked around January time, having monitored the prices for some months. What I discovered is that they start filling up quick from December and I was worried about getting a time that suited at all.

I kept monitoring prices up until the day I left and they didn't get any cheaper from January on - in fact, to get economy on the flights I was on (Delta from Manchester), the cost went to something like £1600 per seat in the couple of weeks before the flight.

This year I've bitten the bullet early and booked with Virgin, but by using this site's link, I saved about £100 per seat on Virgin's internet price - I was about to click the "book now" button but paused and decided to give these guys a call first. They were excellent and saved me £600, so worth the call. Mind you, the flight was pretty well booked when I arranged it so if you've got a big family, I wouldn't hang about.

It really is infuriating, isn't it? Florida used to be a cheap holiday for us - we'd book last minute and get flights for under £200, rent a villa for £350 a week and it was great. I suspect that there are just a lot less flights now, so they fill up quickly and the airlines have no need to discount them. Maybe that's the reason, maybe not.

Good luck with it. If you find a cheap deal, we'd all love to hear about it.

Tonish

wrpac00
07-12-2005, 01:42
It is closer to £800 for the summer school holidays.

PascalH
07-12-2005, 02:30
£800 ?! How can you pay this ! Per me, as we are five ine the family, it is impossible. I will plan to go elsewhere this summer. France is my and beautiful country...:)

Is it the end of Florida eldorado ? At this level of price, I doubt that there is a lot of travellers ...

pieman790
07-12-2005, 03:05
There are flights out there at reasonable prices - I know some friends who have recently booked August 06 for 4 weeks - family of 4 flying BMI via Chicago for less than £1,300.00. We have booked family of 8 next May for similar money on schedule flights with BMI.

Virgin flights are nearly always expensive especially during Peak Season but there are lots of other airlines whom in my opinion give as good a service. Downside is that they are not direct flights but we are glad of the break in flight and the kids can wear themselves out whilst we clear customs etc in Chicago/Washington, once landed in Orlando it is so quick just collecting cases and on the road.

As soon as Christmas has passed there will be loads of holiday deals especially to Florida - just keep on looking and check out the latest info on the internet trying to avoid the weekends as the prices do seem to go up then.

For us Florida would win everytime!

Happy shopping.

wilfy
07-12-2005, 03:38
I've been keeping my eye on on the usual suspects for uk travel to florida during summer hols for next year, and the prices do vary from day to day, last week i saw on thursday flights at £581, indirect to tampa. This week they are all around the £650-£690 mark. However i did find today, flights from glasgow flying out on the 25th August for £480 per person I think it was with airtours.This includes taxes etc but no meals. No use to us as we require a few days earlier.

DaveL
07-12-2005, 04:16
If your travelling from Europe rather that the UK you should check the cost with your local agent as often BA will discount the Transatlantic section to get business on the Europe sector. This was the case a couple of years ago but may have changed now. If it's still true you will need a non-UK address and will have to pat in Euros.

Dave

bellaepovera
07-12-2005, 13:35
I was checking AA the other day for dates in July for my husband, and in dollars the price was $800 which i thought wasnt bad for high season, leaving from Rome. If you dig deep you can find good prices out there.

Cruella DeVilla
07-12-2005, 15:08
Pascal, we fly from Dusseldorf into either Fort Myers or Orlando, they also do Miami and they have very reasonable flights. We normally pay anything from 300-550 Euros depending on time of year. Depending on where you live in France you could come to Germany or Holland wher the flights are also reasonable. You can dm me if you want the site I use.

PascalH
07-12-2005, 15:29
Ok CDV, it sounds much better ! I send you an DM ...

Hello Patti we rent your villa on summer 2003 and enyoyed it very much [msnwink]

Jo
07-12-2005, 15:34
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by DaveL
If your travelling from Europe rather that the UK you should check the cost with your local agent as often BA will discount the Transatlantic section to get business on the Europe sector. This was the case a couple of years ago but may have changed now. If it's still true you will need a non-UK address and will have to pat in Euros.

Dave
[/quote]You can actually book with BA from euorpe on their website. We are going via Barcelona where we are stpping for a minibraek, then back to London and on to Tampa. The cost for 4 adults and 1 child was £1850 a few weeks ago to fly on 18th August for 2 weeks.

Just need an Easyjet flight to get us out to Barcelona.

Don't despair there are some good deals out there - you just need to find them.[msnwink]

wilfy
07-12-2005, 16:41
There is a similar deal from BA if your departure point is Amsterdam, around the £420 mark.

bellaepovera
07-12-2005, 18:05
HI Pascal..wasnt sure if they was you or not! You could look into flying out from Italy with BA as soo much cheaper! I paid 525 in euro round trip last summer and this summer going to New York

E. Cosgrove
07-12-2005, 21:14
Don't give up on less finding less expensive flights Pascal.
September 2004 we were looking for flights for Easter 2005, usually cost isn't too much of an issue but because we were taking both our sons and their partners big bucks were out of the question. We eventually got really good flights for £245 with US Airways, we thought this was a brilliant deal!!!
Good Luck with the search :)