PDA

View Full Version : Wal*Mart

deluxevillas
19-02-2002, 04:36
I know, I know. It's not really an attraction as such. BUT there aren't many places where you get a whole days experience such as this, with food and drink you can afford, people to watch, gadets you can play with AND it's open 24 hours a day! Not only that but you don't have to pay to get in.
Unfortunately the only draw back, (in my humble opinion) is that you (or should I say my wife) usually has to pay quite a bit to get out!
Personal opinion: 'If Wal*Mart aint got it, you don't need it'

athurstance
20-02-2002, 18:27
I really wasn't very impressed with Walmart. We did buy stuff there but IMHO K-Mart is better (although not much). Both are very tacky so I'd appreciate any advice on somewhere a bit nicer to get those villa essentials.

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
20-02-2002, 18:50
Target is well worth a try as a more up-market Wal-Mart. We enjoy shopping at both...well, we just enjoy shopping really :).

John & Sarah

carole7007
20-02-2002, 18:57
HI John and Sarah

Where about is Target, not seen that one.

Carole

Carole & Keith

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
20-02-2002, 20:05
Hi Carole

Target is a big chain with lots of stores. The one we normally go to is on the north side of the 192 just before the intersection with Thacker Ave (go east from Medieval Times for a mile or two and it's on your left).

There is also a brand new Super Target on OBT where it intersects the Greenway although we have not been yet.

The logo is a big red target so the sign should be easily spottable!

John & Sarah

carole7007
20-02-2002, 20:10
What does OBT mean?

Sorry if I appear thick !!

I have been getting emails advising of answers to topics, I am not complaining just wondered is this something new !!

Carole

Carole & Keith

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
20-02-2002, 20:45
Hi Carole

OBT is Orange Blossom Trail (on the map as the 17/92).

We've introduced a new facility on the forums today called Subscribing. What happens is if you reply to a topic you automatically get subscribed to that thread. This means that if anyone else replies to it, then you are sent an e-mail saying they have replied so you can more easily keep up to date on things.

You can turn this off for a reply by unticking the 'Click here to subscribe to this topic' when you are composing a reply.

Hope this makes sense.

John

carole7007
20-02-2002, 20:49
Hi John

Thank you for information on OBT.

And yes it makes sense, good idea !! :)

Carole & Keith

orlandobabe
21-02-2002, 17:38
I've mentioned Super Target in the Shopping Thread.
It is located just off the intersection with the 417 and OBT.
Hubby can do Home Depot almost diagonally opposite while the women have a browse in there.

There is a nice Starbucks coffee shop when you go inside and there really are some lovely things for villas.

Orlandobabe

imported_n/a
21-02-2002, 19:23
Just a tip about Walmarts - buy all your Revlon cosmetics here and Sally Hansen - half the price than UK (as with most things). Also try their clothes section - have had great shorts from there - very reasonable and have washed and kept well, plus great for capri trousers - so cheap.

esprit
04-03-2002, 03:21
My US next door neighbour thinks the Brits are obsessed with Walmart as the first question my guests ask is where the nearest one is. Even before they ask about Disney! This has not been abatted by us now having our own Walmart as everyone knows that they are a pale imitation. As well as the big one near Medieval Times, there is another down 27 towards Haines which is more convenient for those staying west of Disney.
There are some fascinatingly gruesome things in Walmart. As well as the guns and other weaponry, there are is the hunting department complete with blow up deer so you can practice your target shooting. Ugh!! That aside, the mens clothes ( decent chino type trousers, shirts etc) are cheap, though you would not be seen dead in the womens clothes, and it is the cheapest place in Orlando to buy DVDs. It also has a good knicker selection ( sorry panties in US parlance) so I always stock up on those now, cheaper than M&S!!

Julie Carty

imported_n/a
04-03-2002, 03:41
And the Hayes knickers, sorry panties, for girls up to the age of 12 are exceptional value.

orlandobabe
04-03-2002, 23:18
There's a new Wal Mart at the end of the Osceala Parkway.

Orlandobabe

fiona
04-03-2002, 23:33
Which end? I assume you don't mean the Disney end or surely I wouldn't have missed that only 3 weeks ago?

Fiona

orlandobabe
05-03-2002, 23:42
Sorry Fiona-it's t'other end-over towards the Florida Turnpike.

Shame really!

Orlandobabe

Lesley S
19-05-2002, 15:32
Another place to get things for the Villa is Costco.
This is also on Orange Blossom Trail.
It is a membership only wharehouse but we have a membership in the UK as there are now many here Liverpool, Glasgow etc.
I think that they do visitors passes in some of the guidebooks and they usually let you wander round for a look.
They sell allsorts from heavy machinery to dvds.
A lot of bulk buying too but their food section is excellent.
Oh and they have a cafateria type thing so you can eat after shopping.
They do chicken sandwich thingyies that are great and pizzas.

Interested to in the Walmart locations as we are next to Splendid China but go the the one at Medieval Times. Is there a closer one on our side?

Jamie-> and Lesley

esprit
19-05-2002, 15:58
There is a Walmart down 27 towards Haines, Sunnyside, though it is probably about the same distance. Could be nearer if traffic down 192 is bad. I think we should petition for a Walmart down our end of 192 -after all did we really need two Publixes?

We went to Costco a couple of weeks ago after a new TV. If you are not a member and do not have one of those vouchers, they will still give you a day pass but add 5% to the total you pay. They ask for ID. We did not think they were particularly cheap, however, particularly if you add 5% and ended up buying the same model of TV cheaper in Walmart. We did buy some DVDs at Costco and they would not accept an American Ecpress travellers check without a photo ID, which is a first.

Julie Carty

Edited by - esprit on 19/05/2002 12:05:04

fiona
19-05-2002, 16:02
We're just along from you at Rolling Hills and we either go to that one or the one at Southern Dunes.

If Chris is golfing at SD/ HR then we go to that one - doesn't seem to have as much as the one at Medieval Times, but not as busy. That's probably because I'm hitting it at 8.00 am after droppping him off.

I'm sure we're going to end up with a load more supermarkets and possibly a home depot our end as they cannot keep building all these villas with not much to service them.

I was interested to see a mention of a Crabby Bills opposite TGIF on the 192 - is that our TGIF? (I know it's restaurants not shopping, but I'm never one not to go off message!!)

Fiona

esprit
19-05-2002, 16:08
Please dont mention putting a Home Depot at our end of 192, Fiona. Husband has been advocating that one for years and would definately petition for that!! The only limiting factor on him being in there all the time is the drive right down 27 or right up 192 to get there. If we get one, I will never see him!!!

Julie Carty

fiona
19-05-2002, 18:15
Well I feel it owuld be the lesser of 2 evils! Chris spends so much time there - unfortunately usually accompanied by me! Still at least they have a nice plants dept. After I've got bored looking at lights, paints etc.!!

Chris runs a bathroom distribution business and even at Expo guess what he spends ages looking at? Bathrooms - he likes to see what is on sale there as some of the companies we import from are quite successful in the US, and we have the oh look, theres xxxxx. Still there's plenty else to look at there.

Fiona

orlandobabe
19-05-2002, 18:21
For Target shoppers there's one at Oviedo off 417 just before the turn off to Sanford airport. Doesn't do the fresh fruit/food range like ST on OBT-(junction 11 on 417 north)but there were quite a lot of different things to be had-and the two new jackets I bought in the sale-were even cheaper!!!!
There's a mall just behind Target-but didn't have time to explore-but it might be a good stopping off place on way to airport-not that we ever get there before last gasp-IYSWIM!

Orlandobabe

Shroom
21-05-2002, 04:10
If you really are addicted to Wal*Mart ( well I know I am) you can always get a fix in Swindon where they have opened the largest one in the Uk.....just drive down the M4 and turn north to Cirencester....
Not as good as the one at Southern Dunes on HWY 27 though.
I did manage to get the rewally thick Coke glasses there for £2.99 for 6

Siobhan

tinkerbell
22-05-2002, 17:16
Wow! I cant believe there is really a Wal*Mart here in the UK!! I know Asda are the same etc, but I still dont think it could ever compare!!!!

Tink