PDA

View Full Version : Places to visit outside the tourist area

keith_jacqui
03-12-2005, 08:53
We have discovered a beautiful historic district full of very nice shops and restaurants in Lake Wales. Its only an hour's drive from Kissimee and still has a great 'small-town' atmosphere that we love, not like some commercialized area. It's as nice as any we have seen around the state. There is even a local downtown newsletter that lists all the activities and shops, etc. They have a website at [website link edited] that has lots of info too. There are art galleries, card and gift shops, antique stores, and several very nice restaurants, a couple with lounges. The architecture is very nice, mostly from the Florida boom years of about 100 years ago.

03-12-2005, 11:34
Yes we have been to lake Wales Many times, it makes a nice change[msnwink]

Chloe
03-12-2005, 19:26
Thanks for that, it sounds very much worth a visit, it is now on the list for next time. Chloe

chris c
03-12-2005, 20:34
Thanks for the recommendation. Sounds like somewhere to take my sister and husband when we go out in January.

keith-jacqui
05-12-2005, 08:36
It is a lovely place to visit and you must make time also for Bok Sanctuary, We have been to St Augustine many times and that is well worth the drive. Come and visit us, we own a restuarant there:
http://historiclakewales.com/stuartcafe/index.html
[website link edited]
Hope its ok putting the site on!!

KJH
06-12-2005, 02:37
I wish I hadn't looked...I could eat most of the menu right now. [msntongue]

Kaz

Parrothead
06-12-2005, 16:39
If you have the time, why not drive up to Homosassa Springs and the see the 'real Florida' and visit the manatees in the wild. A fantastic place.

Cruella DeVilla
06-12-2005, 17:54
We know a lot of non tourist places to visit as we are not theme park type people really (no kids) and as we normally fly in and out of Fort Myers we get to see a lot of these small towns. Pre villa we holidayed on the gulf coast most of the time and only drove up to Orlando for a few days here and there, (Favourite resturants have to be visited).

keith_jacqui
06-12-2005, 18:14
Hi, we actually get customers from other areas regularly, people do not know we are English (maybe we should have an alternative English menu, Roast Beef on Sundays) and we do keep on putting English on as specials.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Cruella DeVilla
We know a lot of non tourist places to visit as we are not theme park type people really (no kids) and as we normally fly in and out of Fort Myers we get to see a lot of these small towns. Pre villa we holidayed on the gulf coast most of the time and only drove up to Orlando for a few days here and there, (Favourite resturants have to be visited).
[/quote]