PDA

View Full Version : Nice upgrade

Steve and Dawn
01-12-2005, 02:52
We have just returned from our holiday in Florida. We arrived at the Dollar desk and handed over our booking slips. Booked on this site by the way:) As we were there for 7 weeks we had 2 vouchers one for 28 days and another for the remainder. The guy at the desk said we would have to return the car after the 28 days and pick up another one. A bit of a pain but ok fair enough. We had a Jeep booked and the guy asked if we would like to upgrade to a Durango for $5 a day. I thought about it and as I hadn't had a jeep before I said I would stick to the jeep this time and maybe upgrade next time[msnwink] Eventually he gave us the paperwork we paid for a tank of fuel (Just over $100) and headed over to the garage. Once there we picked up our keys and when we went to where our vehicle was, guess what......... Yep a Dodge Durango! Very nice too, it also had Satelite Radio and was able to listen to Radio One if we wanted. Anyway, come 28 days later we go and change our vehicle. Arrived at the desk and handed over the booking form. Remembering the $100 fuel charge I told the guy I will bring it back full. He told me I couldn't do that as it stated on the booking form that we must prepay for fuel. Dawn's son who was also taking his out for 2 days didn't, I'm happy to say, have to prepay he wouldn't have used the fuel up before he returned his car. Anyway, once again we got a Durango. So we were very happy campers. Come to think of it we never saw many Jeep's at all this year.

LiesaAnna
01-12-2005, 03:16
well done!!! good to have you back!!!

CarolAnn
01-12-2005, 11:46
Glad you had an excellent deal Steve & Dawn, it is always nice when you get an unexpected bonus on your booking details, whether it is the plane or the car!!

Cruella DeVilla
01-12-2005, 11:57
When you get to the desk and they ask if you want to upgrade, some of the time they don't have what you have booked so they have to give you one up so to speak so try to persuade you to take the upgrade[msnwink]

Linicia
01-12-2005, 13:19
When we were there in Oct we booked ajeep for 31 days. Until earlier this year we had one in the UK and Lindsay was having withdrawal symptoms from not driving one. When we got the car it was a Durango. We were not asked if we wanted to upgrade and thought this was their version of what we booked! Also, we did not have to pay for a tank of fuel, despite the booking form telling us that. We were asked to take it back full. Great service, great car except that it is too easy to lock the doors with the keys inside (we did it twice [msnembarrased]).

We have booked again for January but will be collecting from Fort Lauderdale. Wondering what will happen this time as there seems to be no set pattern with the tank of fuel.

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
01-12-2005, 13:25
Absolutely - and well worth keeping in mind if you are ever asked to upgrade.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Cruella DeVilla
When you get to the desk and they ask if you want to upgrade, some of the time they don't have what you have booked so they have to give you one up so to speak so try to persuade you to take the upgrade[msnwink]
[/quote]

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
01-12-2005, 13:28
The official line is for Silver level bookings, you have to pre-pay for the fuel at the desk on arrival and take the car back empty. Some agents will let you go without paying for fuel but we've had some customers do this and then return the car and the returning agent says that is wrong and charge them for a tank of fuel, even though they just brought the car back full. It's a real pain as the customer then feels they have been cheated, but in fact it is the car hire company's staff not following procedures properly.

For Gold level bookings, the fuel is already included in the price you pay.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Linicia
We have booked again for January but will be collecting from Fort Lauderdale. Wondering what will happen this time as there seems to be no set pattern with the tank of fuel.
[/quote]

luckylady
01-12-2005, 13:43
We always have a 4 wheel drive when we go to the States, Always get a Durango
Never paid for an upgrade,its always starts the holiday on the right track
[msnsmile2][msneek]

Snapper
01-12-2005, 18:07
I love the Durangos. We've been lucky enough to have one on the last few trips. They're great in the snow too. I had one over in Las Vegas about this time last year with a huge big V8 engine. Vroooooooom!

I did get to wondering if Dollar are replacing their Jeep fleet with Durangos. Let's hope so.

pieman790
01-12-2005, 18:31
What is a Durango and what does it look like?

Macka
01-12-2005, 19:02
We always have a luxury car so you can't get an upgrade for that.[msnsad]

Snapper
01-12-2005, 19:32
This is the one I had last year in Las Vegas (with the big V8 engine). I took this not long after pulling a pick-up truck out of a snowdrift that they'd got stuck in.

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/Snapper/2005121153133_DSC_0391.jpg

pieman790
01-12-2005, 20:02
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Snapper
This is the one I had last year in Las Vegas (with the big V8 engine). I took this not long after pulling a pick-up truck out of a snowdrift that they'd got stuck in.

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/Snapper/2005121153133_DSC_0391.jpg
[/quote]

Does this car have alot of Bling? Never heard of the word until recently but everybody seem to talk about Bling.

Snapper
01-12-2005, 21:16
Dunno about bling. It certainly has plenty of grunt.