PDA

View Full Version : moving to the USA

chrizzy100
11-06-2003, 02:35
I see lots of people here wanting to move to the USA.....

I just want to point out a few downers....and there's not that many the good outweigh the bad.....

Time off....mostly 2 weeks a year....and if you live in the wrong place only 8 days for things like july 4th...etc.....
That was a shock to us...my husband had 8 weeks + bank hoils in England...and we went to 3 weeks a year..+ 8 days....a lot when you think some jobs only give you one day off per year you have worked there....like my daughter place.....

Lose you job....and you're out the door that day....your things in a little box....that could mean if you have been there only a little time....no more money from that day on....no healthcare.....everything stops.....
Now my husbands been laid off in England....but we had a few months to get used to the idea and look for other work.......but not here.....

The cost of runing a home....our first gas bill....$250 for a month...a month!....that would of done me a year in England....the same costs happen in summer with cooling.....

Don't get me started on the cost of an apple......lol.!

Would I move here again.....yes I would....its a great place to bring up kids......but always have back up money.....lots and lots of it.....most people face a time out of work in the USA.....some face it more than once.....been there done that.....for a whole week...scared me to death.....work can be very hard to find after being laid off......its easy to find work when you have a job...you get headhunted all the time.....but lose a job.....and you could find yourself sending out CV's....forever....and not one person getting back to you......:(
If you're on an H1B....remember you could end up having only 10 days to leave the country if you have no work.....if they feel kind...they give you 3 months....no time at all to sell up.....and it would be really hard to find a new job....with just an H1B.....

But if you ask me.......jump in with both feet....give it a go....but learn as much as you can.....:D

esprit
11-06-2003, 03:05
All us villa owners know about gas bills, Chrizzie. We pay them too and sometimes with management companies who are not too careful with the gas, I got one for $700 for a month last February!!! MOst of the people enquiring about moving out are buying or transferring businesses. That has the advantage that you set your own holidays ( though you have to fit in as much as you can in order to remain competive) and you can lose business but cannot really totally lose a job. The downside is that on HIB, you can evenually get a green card (as you have) wheras I am likely to have to work in my business until I am old and grey. But at least I will be in the sun!!

chrizzy100
11-06-2003, 03:14
I'm very much on top of my family about turning the heat down.....I'd have bills way up in the $500 a month even in this house which is not that big...I nag all day......hehehehehe.....this year was hard.....really cold and tons of snow....but I think we're harderning up....and don't feel the cold anymore.....[8D]
If you make enough..you can sit in the sun and watch others work for you......:D

fiona
11-06-2003, 03:22
It makes gas bills here of £75 a month and leccy of £40 seem an absolute bargain for a large 4 bed house built in the 1930's!

chrizzy100
12-06-2003, 04:01
quote:Originally posted by fiona

It makes gas bills here of £75 a month and leccy of £40 seem an absolute bargain for a large 4 bed house built in the 1930's!

Thats now my idea of heaven....low gas and leccy bills.....:D

chrizzy100
13-06-2003, 00:51
I've just been shopping and have the first thing for the new villa.....a coke shower curtain on sale in Job Lot for my sons bathroom......LOL....:D

Only another $14993 to go before we can call it a home....

esprit
13-06-2003, 02:04
Where did you buy, Chrizzie?? Is it being built or a re-sale??

chrizzy100
13-06-2003, 02:11
quote:Originally posted by esprit

Where did you buy, Chrizzie?? Is it being built or a re-sale??

Its in The Village Tuscan Ridge....its being built....should be ready around Christmas time.....