PDA

View Full Version : Orlando via Detroit

markandpam
25-11-2005, 16:08
I am due to go over to Orlando on 27th December via Detroit. I know it's not the best airport to go through but it was all I could get :( I have 3 hours between the connections. Has anyone any suggestions as how to make it easier. I'm not travelling with children, just 3 other people. Any help wuld be appreciated.

Pam.

wrpac00
25-11-2005, 16:21
Pam,

Don't forget some of that time will be spent going through immigration, time you will save when you get to Orlando.

Never been to Detroit so don't know what there is to do, sorry.

paulm
25-11-2005, 16:26
Hi,

3 hours may seem a long while, but it will probably take the best part of an hour to go through customs and immigration, and then you have to get your luggage loaded onto the Detroit-Orlando plane.

If your plane is slightly late that will eat up a few more minutes.

I'm sure being a lady you won't mind a browse through the airport shops.

A drink to get in the holiday spirit (now that you are in the USA).

A casual stroll down to the departure gate, making sure that you get there early.

Then you can watch your plane come in.

Then you're off.

neild292
25-11-2005, 16:32
I have gone via Chicargo and Pittsburg in the past and by the time you get through immigration you probably won't have more than 1 hour free

markandpam
25-11-2005, 16:32
Thanks for your comments. I don't mind being in the airort at all, I love airports of any sort :) I just wondered how easy it was to get from one gate to the next one there. I had heard it wasn't the easiest of airports to get around.

Pam.

pieman790
25-11-2005, 16:39
We normally have about 2-2.5 hours between connection when we travel and believe me it does go fast especially when you fly into the US (Immigration/Customs), so im sure 3 hours will fly by.
coming back you can have a look round the airport shop/duty free or have a drink before the flight home

lgordon6041
25-11-2005, 18:22
Friends of mine recently went via Detroit and had roughly the same time on the ground as you do. They, as mentioned above, spent a lot of their time getting through immigration and then took a casual wander to the gate. After that there wasn't really much time for anything other than a quick browse around the shops!
Enjoy:)

resorthomerentals
25-11-2005, 20:08
What airline are you flying? If you are using Northwest/KLM you will be in the new terminal. It's very nice and easy to get around with lots of shops. The other airlines still use the old terminal. Nowhere near as nice as the Northwest terminal. You can still get to the new terminal from the old if you want to have a look around, although you must allow a bit of time.

Madabouttigger
25-11-2005, 20:46
Coffee and 1st real american Fudge brownie.......[easter1]

dj_padd
25-11-2005, 22:23
We flew into detroit with klm on the way to denver, so must have used the new terminal, the new terminal is very straight forward to use, its just one big line of gates thats it, it even has its own train from one end to the other, customs didnt take us that long so we rode the train up and down the terminal a few times to pass the time

andrewandcarole
25-11-2005, 22:26
We often use indirect flight. A 3 hour stop over will be gone in a flash!
We went via Detroit in April (KLM/Nothwest) - it was no hassle at all. Plenty of shops if you do get time for a bit of retail therapy or a coffee.

Carole

Badger
26-11-2005, 11:57
We have flown via Detroit, it was quick and easy to negotiate. In my opinion the airport is a little grubby but the facilities are okay. It may have changed since we last flew through there... almost four years ago. Word of advice, be careful if you go outside for any reason, not the best of areas but the airport is just fine.

Tracey K
26-11-2005, 13:43
We went through Detroit and thought it was really quite simple. Immigration was well organised when we were there and then you find yourself in the new terminal. As someone has said it is one long building with lots of gates off it. We didn't bother with the train; we walked down the length of the terminal getting something to eat and looking in the shops.

ellie
26-11-2005, 15:10
Three hours may seem like a long time, but with immigration etc I am sure you will find it just fine. It will give you a little time to stretch your legs, take a quick peep at the shops, and probably have a snack and a drink. Then you will be on your way. In fact, before you know it you will be boarding your second 'plane and on your way to Orlando.

And when you reach Orlando you only have to walk off the 'plane so that is a real benefit. [clap]

shockey
26-11-2005, 20:39
On the way back, bear in mind that Detroit is one of the airports where the US government is testing the new US-VISIT exit procedures. At Detroit you have to use a US-VISIT machine, which scans your documents and fingerprints.

Tonish
30-11-2005, 15:59
Be glad you have 3 hrs!

We went thru Atlanta this year and had almost 2 hrs for the connection. Inbound flight was late, plus queues at immigration. Bags had to come off for inspection - took ages and we had to run top speed to departure gate; the car seat we brought with us didn't come off the flight so we had to go without it. It turned up in Orlando a couple of days later.

Same thing on the way back, only this time whilst we made the connecting flight (only just, after running again), none of our bags did. They turned up next day.

By the time you're off the flight, through immigration etc, you'll manage a couple of cups of coffee before boarding again would be my guess.

Tonish