PDA

View Full Version : MCO without immigration

farawayfan
25-11-2005, 01:03
Our immigration clearance will be in Atlanta before our onward flight to MCO. What happens when we get to MCO - do we have to go through immigration again?

Paula D-S
25-11-2005, 01:06
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by farawayfan
Our immigration clearance will be in Atlanta before our onward flight to MCO. What happens when we get to MCO - do we have to go through immigration again?

[/quote]

No you just reclaim your luggage and sail through.[msnsmile2]

[xmas1][xmas2][xmas1][xmas2][xmas1][xmas2][xmas1][xmas2][xmas1][xmas2]

dawn burley
25-11-2005, 01:09
We did this last year flying with Delta and you'll be pleased to know that you won't need to go through immigration again. We flew to Tampa and it was a case of find your bags and just go![8D]

Dawn

pepsi
25-11-2005, 01:15
The fact you are going through Atlanta makes arriving at MCO very easy. There is no waiting around to pass through immigration. Just pick up your luggage and you are on your way!!!

farawayfan
25-11-2005, 01:15
Brill - I presume that means that you can also get to the car hire desk a bit quicker too and perhaps beat the crowds.

stabard
25-11-2005, 01:18
Absolutly - almost makes it worth changing planes for [msnwink]

dawn burley
25-11-2005, 01:55
We got our car straight away and got to our villa just two hours after our friends who had taken a direct flight!

Dawn

dolphinv
25-11-2005, 02:18
Don't forget you have to do customs in Atlanta also, then put your bags back on the transfer belt !

Jan and Laurence Hood
25-11-2005, 02:20
As far as we understand it - you always clear customs on your first port of call into the United States. Good luck.[msncool]

wrpac00
25-11-2005, 02:44
Your flight from Atlanta to MCO is classed as an internal flight.

emm
25-11-2005, 03:40
Going through MCO is very quick when you arrive on an internal flight. It is definitely a bonus of arriving via another US airport.

farawayfan
25-11-2005, 09:13
Do you think it's possible to check our luggage all the way through as both flights are Delta flights or do we have to change our luggage over ourselves?

25-11-2005, 10:00
If you are clearing customs you would need your bags[xmas1]

Lynnes
25-11-2005, 11:42
Because you are going through customs you will have to recalim your bags but then you can gve them straight back to them.

Rhosyn
26-11-2005, 01:47
If only one of you is driving, then one can collect the bags and the other can go straight to get the car.

shockey
26-11-2005, 07:10
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Do you think it's possible to check our luggage all the way through as both flights are Delta flights or do we have to change our luggage over ourselves?[/quote]

You check your bags all the way through to Orlando from the UK, but even though the bags are checked through you still have to pick them up in Atlanta, take them through Customs, then hand them back to the airline immediately after Customs. There'll be plenty of other people doing the same thing, so you shouldn't have a problem.

Jo
26-11-2005, 12:50
Your luggage gets check through on the way home though[msnsmile]

dawn burley
26-11-2005, 13:46
Have you prebooked your seats there and back as this can be done free of charge through your travel agent or direct with Delta. This is really useful if you are travelling with several children.

Dawn

farawayfan
26-11-2005, 19:38
Thanks for the tip Dawn - I'll speak to my travel agent about it.

On the way back, we're also going through Atlanta but our flight times only gives us 45 minutes between flights - that surely can't be enough time can it?

dolphinv
05-12-2005, 15:27
I think 45 minutes is pushing it, if you have to change teminals or there is any delay from MCO

CarolAnn
05-12-2005, 16:55
Agree 45 mins seems a little tight for comfort[msneek] Even if all goes extremely smoothly, I am not sure I would be entirely comfortable with that space. Bare in mind also, that as far as I am aware,your connecting flight is not held waiting for you, even if the previous flight is delayed through no fault of your own.

Michelle
05-12-2005, 17:38
This is not always strictly true, we flew with United last Christmas and our flight from Heathrow via Washington was late in arriving we actually arrived as they were boarding, they held the flight up and we were able to make our connection. Have to admit there were about 60 of us in total going onto Orlando, not sure if this made any difference. This August flying Untied again, due to severe lightening strike our flght was delayed in Orlando for more than 3 hours we missed the connection because because it was the last flight from Washingtn to Heathrow, so they got us to Washington had to stay overnight and they got us on the first flight out to Heathrow the following morning, we claimed the extra expense via our travel,insurance, they left us to sort ourselves out when we landed in Washington , we were not best pleased to say the least. We have now changed to flying direct from next July. We had already booked our flights for this month with Delta earlier this year it was to late to change to direct flight.

SunLover
05-12-2005, 18:13
We flew into Atlanta this year with delta, and I have to say clearing immigration took 1.5 hours !

They were incredibly slow, and as a result we had to run to catch our connecting flight to Orlando, which we just made, with literally minutes to spare. For some reason your connecting flights are always at the furthest point of the airport !

Michelle
05-12-2005, 18:20
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by SunLover
We flew into Atlanta this year with delta, and I have to say clearing immigration took 1.5 hours !

They were incredibly slow, and as a result we had to run to catch our connecting flight to Orlando, which we just made, with literally minutes to spare. For some reason your connecting flights are always at the furthest point of the airport !
[/quote]

Oh boy looks like I will have to WD40 my little legs ready for teh sprint then ah [sporty]

blott
05-12-2005, 18:41
It is at the other side of the airport at Atlanta from international to domestic but then you get the compensation of that cute train to go on! Atlanta's also where we met a really smiley Immigration lady and had a mega conversation about gold bracelets (don't ask - it was probably us holding up the queue!).

Michelle, you need Roadrunner's legs if you're walking the whole way! [msnwink]

Michelle
05-12-2005, 19:19
Michelle, you need Roadrunner's legs if you're walking the whole way! [msnwink]
[/quote]

Will only need a little WD40 then ah blott so at least can do a little sprint to catch the train. Our landing time into Atlanta is 13.50 then departs 15.55 to Orlando. Mind you United are not much better, but at least Washington airport you do not come of airside so no where near as far to go, but Chicago Airport for connecting flights is a different story, I thought we were actually walking back to UK having to go from Terminal A to B, but I did actually ask when we had to go via Chicago if we could get a later internal flight from Chicago, which at the time I was able to do.
who said flying to Florida is so exciting ah, adds to the fun don't you think. Not as bad as my litla saga sounds here honest, customs and imigration at both Washington and Chicago we found no problem with all quite jovial, also same at Atlanta, think it may be as the day wears on that patience begins to go, hence the reason we always ask for the first flight out from UK, because usually when you go through imigration and customs seem to be not as frantic.

Leskw06
13-01-2006, 01:32
Hey everyone,

Not sure if this is the right topic to put this in but...

Has anyone flow from the UK to Orlando via Detroit at all??? I'm havin a look at my confirmation and it looks like we have only got 1hr 40 mins to change planes, go thru immigration, I'm slightly concerned that we don't make it in time.

I'm flying with Northwest from Gatwick to Orlando.

Thanks
Lesley

chrisflowers
13-01-2006, 01:41
I love coming down to Orlando after clearing immigration in Newark.
Such a joy just to walk off the plane, pick up the bags and the car, then off to the villa for a well earned break.

farawayfan
13-01-2006, 01:51
Hi Lesley

We actually changed our flights to give us a longer layover between flights. We now have 3 hours each way in Atlanta. It's probably far too much time on the way back but I'd rather hang around in Atlanta knowing I'm going to catch the plane than be in panic mode the whole day.

Atlanta airport is supposed to be the busiest in the world! Not sure if that makes them better or worse at the customs stuff.

Personally, I would give yourself more time if possible between connections.

Jackie

farawayfan
13-01-2006, 01:56
OK, changed it now - we now have a couple of hours in Atlanta which is probably too much but better safe than sorry.

thanks

Leskw06
16-01-2006, 01:09
Hi Jackie,

Thanks for that. I'm not sure if we can change our flights now as we've booked our flights since October.

We're actually flying from Edinburgh to Orlando via Gatwick and Detroit.

It's gonna b a long day.

Lesley

markandpam
17-01-2006, 16:27
Hi Lesley,

I travelled to Orlando via detroit only two weeks ago. I had three hours in both directions which I thought was more than enough. Going out was slightly tight as the immigration at Detroit were so unbelievably slow. Someone from customers services did however call all those people going onward to orlando through to another desk so we managed it. If I were you I would sprint off the plane rather sharpish lol Coming back was no problem at all.

Pam.

pieman790
17-01-2006, 17:21
We have done Chicago, Washington, Boston, Orlando, Philidelphia to name a few and you can never tell how long immigration will take. We arrived in Chicago a few weeks ago and we were 1 hour late arriving. Took us another hour to get through immigration and we had to run to the tram to switch terminals. We only just made the connection as we knew the airport and tram system and we had 2.5 hours between flights (The delay into Chicago didnt help but you can never tell if you will be late in)
Once we arrived in MCO it was a differant story in that it took us just over 60 mins to get from the plane to the Villa

SDJ
17-01-2006, 17:54
Hi

Looking forward to changing at Newark and getting to Orlando without having the hassle at MCO.

Anything is better than Virgin direct!!

Sandra

Leskw06
18-01-2006, 20:03
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by markandpam
Hi Lesley,

I travelled to Orlando via detroit only two weeks ago. I had three hours in both directions which I thought was more than enough. Going out was slightly tight as the immigration at Detroit were so unbelievably slow. Someone from customers services did however call all those people going onward to orlando through to another desk so we managed it. If I were you I would sprint off the plane rather sharpish lol Coming back was no problem at all.

Pam.
[/quote]

Thanks for the info Pam. I think we will be tryin to get off the plane rather quickly and get dwn to immigration smart. Especially since we need to clear customs and immigration before our connecting flight. Just hope that everything goes according to plan.

Lesley