PDA

View Full Version : Atlanta Airport

farawayfan
25-11-2005, 01:02
Our flight to MCO is via Atlanta which is where we'll go through immigration. I've been reading some awful stories about how bad immigration is in Atlanta.

Does anyone have any experience - good or bad - to share?

thanks

Paula D-S
25-11-2005, 01:05
I've been Atlanta when we flew with Delta, no problems at all.[msnsmile2]

[xmas1][xmas2][xmas1][xmas2][xmas1][xmas2][xmas1][xmas2][xmas1][xmas2]

farawayfan
25-11-2005, 01:06
Hi Paula

How long ago was it that you went through Atlanta? How was flying with Delta?

Paula D-S
25-11-2005, 01:09
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by farawayfan
Hi Paula

How long ago was it that you went through Atlanta? How was flying with Delta?
[/quote]#

It was two years ago, for an indirect flight I found Delta greatand I would probably use them again[msnsmile2]

dawn burley
25-11-2005, 01:10
I agree with paula we had no problem last year and I would fly with Delta again.

Dawn

pepsi
25-11-2005, 01:10
We have flown through Atlanta quite a few times and never experienced any problems. The last time we went was October of this year and everything went smoothly, we didn't even have to change terminals. Immigration was very efficient.

emm
25-11-2005, 01:13
We have travelled via Atlanta and we had no problems at all. There was a queue at immigration, but it was fine and we soon got through.

farawayfan
25-11-2005, 01:14
It's amazing. It's as if I'm reading about a different place. When I read reports from several people about how discourteous the immigration staff were and how long it took I thought I'd made a major mistake.

The connection through Atlanta was so much cheaper than through NY but I don't want to be paying for it with stress - especially with 3 extremely hyperactive kids!

wilfy
25-11-2005, 01:36
We've found that if your on the early flight to Atlanta from Gatwick it'll be busier than the next 2 flights on arrival.

dawn burley
25-11-2005, 01:51
I did the early flight to Atlanta and with 3 kids! It wasn't bad at all....so I wouldn't worry at all.

Dawn:)

shenon
25-11-2005, 02:57
We have flown via Atlanta and found it fine, in fact very pleasant:)
happy travels:)

Ray&Sarah
25-11-2005, 04:37
We flew via Atlanta in the summer from Florida to San Francisco. Can't comment on immigration, all I remember is almost flying from one side of the airport to the other to make the connecting flight. We flew with Delta, no complaints.[msnsmile]

farawayfan
25-11-2005, 09:11
Thanks everyone for your replies.

We're actually flying from Tel Aviv to Atlanta and our flight arrives in Atlanta at 6am so hopefully that's earlier than the UK flights that you talked about.

How much time should be allowed for immigration and transfer to the next flight?

Paula D-S
25-11-2005, 10:25
To be on the safe side Jackie I would say around two hours.

[xmas1][xmas2][xmas1][xmas2][xmas1][xmas2][xmas1][xmas2][xmas1][xmas2]

CarolAnn
25-11-2005, 12:00
Just flew through Atlanta in October with Delta and it was absolutely fine:D 2 hours should be absolutely plenty of time. Just be sure to read the departure boards as soon as poosible when you land, our flight to Orlando changed gate (no problem, but could have been a disaster[msnsad])
Just as an added interest (well I thought it was spectacular!), look out the window when you are coiming in to land at Atlanta, it is apparently one of the few airports equipped for dual landing:) Watching a another plane coming onto land next to us was really WoW!!
Have a great trip Jackie[8D]

farawayfan
25-11-2005, 17:33
What side of the plane Carol?

Cruella DeVilla
25-11-2005, 19:05
It is a huge airport and if you are running late it can be a problem. After the Olympic bombing they run a tight ship but 2 hours should be fine. I stayed in Atlanta for a few nights and it is actually a nice place, I was surprised!

CarolAnn
25-11-2005, 19:11
Our Daughter loved Atlanta airport, the opposite gate to the one we arrived at was going to Germany and there was about 100 US army guys all in desert uniform(?) Taylor, was VERY distracted!! Ummm. Think she is a girl who likes a man in a uniform [msneek]

Cruella DeVilla
25-11-2005, 19:17
Don't we all;)

CarolAnn
25-11-2005, 19:23
:D Accepted!! But she is ONLY 13[msneek]

Cruella DeVilla
25-11-2005, 19:45
Ah you are never to young to admire from afar!

feathersonline
25-11-2005, 19:49
We flew into Atlanta last year with Delta. The only problem we had, was the connecting flight to Orlando was delayed by about an hour - all internal flights seemed to be having a similar fate that day...

Maz
25-11-2005, 21:46
We flew into Atlanta with Delta in October. Customs etc were fine. FLights fine etc. Only problem we had were with pre-booked seats.

Debbie

Mo Green
25-11-2005, 22:40
We fly 2 or 3 times a year with Delta to Florida via Atlanta and never have any problems. We last arrived there in September at 3.25 on a Sunday when it was much quieter than a Saturday. We have never had any problem with immigration. As we had friends travelling to Florida for the first time on the same plane a week later we timed ourselves this time. From the moment we got off the plane to arriving at the gate for Tampa (different terminals) took 1 hour.

andrewandcarole
25-11-2005, 22:48
We often use Atlanta and it's fine!
Only once did we have a long queue at immigration. Another occasion our luggage was so slow coming through that we missed our connection - however Delta got us on the next flight and to be honest we couldn't fault them.

Carole

Katys Grandad
27-11-2005, 02:58
Atlanta is the busiest airport in the US. The airport staff are well used to moving thousands of people through its terminals every day. Just keep your wits about you and you'll be fine.

Ray&Sarah
27-11-2005, 13:20
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by CarolAnn
:D Accepted!! But she is ONLY 13[msneek]
[/quote]

And?[msnwink]:D[msnwink]

Parrothead
27-11-2005, 18:50
We went through Atlanta last year. The immigration guy was the best, was telling us about his mom who has a vacation home in Orlando:)
The security guy had us in stitches. My husband is 6ft 6 ins, security was about 5ft 3 ins. He said to husband 'please wait here one minute' came back with a step stool to reach him:D
It was a good start to a great vacation. Unlike Gatwick on return, met with faces as along as a wet week in Bournemouth:(