PDA

View Full Version : Prices in dollars

farawayfan
22-11-2005, 00:23
I've looked at the suggested site everyone here recommends for car hire but can only get quotes in sterling. Any suggestions for getting the quotes in dollars?

thanks

Robert5988
22-11-2005, 00:34
Go to any of the main rental firm web sites(use .com [u]not</u> .co.uk)

Don't forget to add in the required insurances and get prepared for a shock!

It is never cheaper to hire in the USA.

wrpac00
22-11-2005, 17:05
farawayfan, if you live outside of the UK then I don't think you can get car hire via this site.

feathersonline
22-11-2005, 17:10
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by wrpac00
farawayfan, if you live outside of the UK then I don't think you can get car hire via this site.
[/quote]

It's only residents of Canada and USA who can't get car hire from this site - everone else can...:)

farawayfan
22-11-2005, 22:52
I think with an international credit card you can book from wherever you are - maybe wrong. Just because the rest of my budget is being calculated in dollars I'd prefer to have a dollar quote than a sterling one.

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
22-11-2005, 23:04
You can indeed book using any VISA or Mastercard as long as you are not a US or Canadian citizen. Your card will be charged in STG£ and if it's a foreign card this amount will be converted to local currency by your credit card company at whatever their rate is.

We only sell in Sterling and do not price in any other currency.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by farawayfan
I think with an international credit card you can book from wherever you are - maybe wrong. Just because the rest of my budget is being calculated in dollars I'd prefer to have a dollar quote than a sterling one.

[/quote]

Robert5988
22-11-2005, 23:15
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote: I think with an international credit card you can book from wherever you are - maybe wrong. Just because the rest of my budget is being calculated in dollars I'd prefer to have a dollar quote than a sterling one.
[/quote]

I believe the problem is that the major rental companies place restrictions on USA citizens booking their cars in other countries.(for use in America)

Why would a company in say, UK, give quotes in US$ when most people would not be interested in the US$ figure? - or are capable of quickly working out how much £x is in US$. The US$ prices would need to fluctuate in line with the exchange rate.

If you have a credit card based in any country that uses US$, Euro, Yen etc you can pay for goods priced in UK£ and it will appear on your statement in US$(at the exchange rate that the credit card give)

It is no different to someone with a UK credit card buying goods in the USA - we don't expect the USA retailer to display prices in every other curreny.

farawayfan
23-11-2005, 23:19
It is no different to someone with a UK credit card buying goods in the USA - we don't expect the USA retailer to display prices in every other curreny.

You're absolutely right - I never thought about it that way. I think I'm going soft in the head with all this Disney planning!!!