PDA

View Full Version : Vegetarian Cuisine

MsRuthieB
09-06-2003, 21:38
Are there any other vegetarians/vegas here that could give recommendations on veg friendly establishments? I know I can sometimes find one meatless entree on a menu or basically just ask them to make a dish without the meat. I'm going to have 3 omnivores with me so I have to find something for everyone. Any suggested places? Thanks

dbrook
09-06-2003, 22:17
I believe the owners on here are veggie Ruthie so they may be able to give you some recommendations. We eat very little meat and prefer to eat only chicken but haven't found any solely veggie restaurants so I too would be interested in any recommendations.

I had heard that there was a vegetarian Indian restaurant which was fairly new and if I can find out where it is I will let you know!

Diane.

blott
09-06-2003, 22:29
There's this place mentioned a short while ago http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4203

esprit
09-06-2003, 22:58
It is not terribly easy as it is a nation of big meat eaters. Ever seen people walking around Disney gnawing on turkey legs that look like they came off ostriches?? Two of my kids are veggie and found that really nauseating. Veggie, thankfully not vegan, they do eat a lot from the breakfast menu ( they eat eggs) when eating out. Sweet Tomatoes ia a veggie place, one of very few. Other than that, stick to Italian ( Carrabas do a nice pasta with tomato sauce, also cheese and tomato pizza, Olive Garden is also good) or go to the all you can eat buffets where the omnivores can tuck into the meat and the veggies can just have salad bar. Two weeks eating out with veggies in the US is difficult however. My kids were bored with the choice of food by the end. I kmow John and Sarah ( John co-owns this site) do cook a lot at their villa and that is probably the reason why. Vegan?? Well the mind boggles. I think you would need to cook in the villa, or come back a mite thinner!

Ruth
10-06-2003, 00:01
My better half is veggie and he likes the Olive Garden best, lots of choice here:)I don't eat a lot of meat so live on salads when in Florida[8D]

florida
10-06-2003, 01:12
Sweet Tomato on I-Drive is good if you love salads. There are plenty of good fish restaurants. The Ponderosa and Golden Coral offer plenty of vege and salads on their buffets and its all you can eat, so good value.

fiona
10-06-2003, 03:51
Veggies aren't the only ones that find those smoked turkey legs nauseating! The girls and I have to pass quickly without breathing as the smell is really quite revolting.

janny
10-06-2003, 12:00
Here is a list of some for you.I can't vouch for any of them though perhaps you could do some research Ruthie.

http://www.happycow.net/north_america/usa/florida/orlando/

mikewj
16-06-2003, 03:41
We're both veggy, so we try to find new places whenever we go to Orlando. With the amount of steak houses, its not that easy !

Our current list (in no particular order) is :

Olive Garden - Italian Food - Everywhere
Chevys - Mexican Food - towards Orange Blossom Trail on 192, I-Drive and Crossroads
Small all you can eat Indian buffet restaurant on Orange Blossom Trail (not far from Costco) - Indian Food
Pizza Hut - Same as in the UK
Golden Corral - All you can eat everything, and there's a lot of veggie choice
Sweet Tomato - Salads - Top of I-Drive on the way to Belz

If you're desperate, you could always go to Burger King and get a Veggie Whopper. Its not like the UK version....its a bun with salad on it (i.e. the Whopper without the meat!).

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
16-06-2003, 13:40
Mike & Sue:

The whole family is veggie and I'd second your list and add the following:

Chilis - they do all their burgers as bean burgers on request
Boma, Animal Kingdom Lodge - more veggie food (with an African spicy flavour) that you can shake a stick at :D
IHOP - the BEST place for breakfast

oakdale
16-06-2003, 15:31
Hi I have received to mails this morning
in relation to vegetarian meals, I never
posted a topic relating to this.
I am not a vegetarian. Hope you find
who the mail should be for.

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
16-06-2003, 17:11
Looks like you have subscribed yourself to this thread Anna which means that anytime someone posts to this thread the forums automatically email you to tell you so.

To un-subscribe, simply click the 'Unsubscribe to this topic at the top of the thread' :).

mikewj
17-06-2003, 03:29
We'll give Chilis a try next year.....we've checked their menu a few times, but never knew they did the beanburger equivalent !

And as for IHOP....stop it....I can't get strawberry buttermilk pancakes out of my head now !

Its always struck me as odd that while the West Coast seems to have embraced the vegetarian culture, the East Coast remains the domain of the steak house...ah well, if we keep asking, they may get the message.

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
17-06-2003, 15:16
The veggie Quesdillias (sp?) at Chilis are well worth a try as are some of their salads (make sure they don't have Ceasar dressing on as it contains anchovies).

For IHOP, the best one is on the 192 just west of the John Young Parkway intersection - it was so busy with locals every time we went in April that you had to wait for a table!

Chilis is alsovery busy with locals and you will have to queue for a table if you arrive after 6pm. A good tip is to ring them and book in before you leave the villa to save on waiting time.

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
06-09-2003, 02:05
Just re-visited this thread and thought it would be worth adding the Mexican restaurant Chevys on the north side oe the 192 east of Walmart.

Very good choice for the children and not the usual kiddy-fare.

Sarah