PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Purchasing a villa

nchohan
09-06-2003, 15:45
Hi,

Just wondering where to start with a purchase? I've been to florida on many occasions and would love to own a villa to not only rent out but with a long term view of moving out there. Where is the best place to start research and are there any good books anyone can recommend?

Thanks, Neelam

blott
09-06-2003, 16:02
Hi Neelam

Welcome to the forum. I would have thought that the first thing to do is to work out how much you can afford - as that then determines where you look for a home and also what size (ie what you can afford). Second, work out what you want for your family - if you need three bedrooms, then look for that size home and decide on your priority features.

As far as I know, there aren't any books on the subject but, if you've got any questions, just ask.

You will find, however, a lot of information on here http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=45 to start you off.

chrizzy100
09-06-2003, 18:50
Can I ask....would you hve a job offer before coming over.....or are you one of the lucky ones who can sit around a pool all day.....lol..
A few things I've learnt about America after living here a few years.....one is she loves you when you have money....but if you lose your job its a really hard place to try to live in....
So two things I'd do before moving over if I had to do it myself again...one own my home out right.......and two NEVER have less then $10.000 in the bank....finding healthcare for a family if you lose your job will take hundreds maybe into the thousand per month....and a lot of well paid jobs in Orlando and surounding areas want people who are America or greencard holders.....when we came over in 1999....telcoms were riding high....and Lucent paid for us to move over here....they paid for our greencards...it cost us nothing....but companies like that have laid off going on for 100.000 workers in the last 2 years....my husband being one of them....but lucky his part of the company had a buy out....and they got him back within weeks.....but it scared us into what life without work in the good USA would be like.....:(

nchohan
09-06-2003, 19:39
Hi,

I would love to tell you that I could sit around by the pool all day but unfortunately the reality is somewhat different! I know what you mean for telecoms, I work in telecoms and its been dire over the last few years.

The move to Florida is really a long term goal, I am looking at buying a 3 bed place with a pool for personal pleasure and as an investment.

Chris7
09-06-2003, 20:06
This question of retiring to the US is interesting. I've just been watching "A Place in the Sun" (Channel 4 UK TV). A couple there were looking to retire to Florida, but no mention was made of the rules or how long you are allowed to stay.

Assuming I do win the lottery and can afford to lie by the pool, does anyone know if I would be allowed to move to Florida (and not work) or would I have to leave every 90 days [?]

athurstance
09-06-2003, 20:19
Simply retiring to the US is not an option for most people. You can apply for a visa which would allow you to stay for up to 180 days - these are easy enough to get.
To stay longer you need really need to either buy a US business, get a inter-company transfer, be able to run your own UK business from the US (must not trade in the US) - check out the US embassy website there is tons of info on how to get the various types of visa. In some circumstances these can become convertible to allow you to stay after so long but it is a long and complex process just getting a visa let alone using it to gain permanent residency.
There are some people on this forum who have made the move stateside who may also be able to help.

Angela

florida
10-06-2003, 01:01
With regard to relocating it is something you have to be serious about and determined to do. My family & I have been considering this for two years but have been put of by the fact that I have two daughters aged 16 & 18 and whilst we could take them with us once they reach the age of 21, they have no right to stay and they would have to return to the UK.

Here are a few web sites that might interest you with regard relocation:

www.immigration.gov
www.orlandoedc.com (Orlando Economic Department Commission)
www.sunnybrits.com
www.britishinamerica.com

chrizzy100
10-06-2003, 03:27
If you could find a company to bring you over....and help with your greencard....it would be so much easier......once you have your geencard you can sweep streets for a living....:D
Telcoms will pick up over here....I'd keep your ear to the ground about jobs.....some companies will still bring you over if they really need you.....

chrizzy100
10-06-2003, 03:29
I don't think you can retire here.....or they make it very hard to do so.....

chrizzy100
10-06-2003, 03:36
We were in the same boat....my daughter was 18....but the company lawyers moved fast to get our greencards in a year or so.....even if that had not happened we were told that the USA are not in the habit of breaking up families.....so they would of done everything they could to keep her over here with us.....if you keep the girls in school there are different rules so I'm told......it can take 5 years to get a greencard.....we were just so lucky that everyone moved so fast to keep her here....the INS did a good job.......

Dodge
10-06-2003, 04:16
Hi All,
We are coming over in July and are thinking of buying a property.
Can anyone give me their comments on the developments at:
Calabay Park,Hampton Lakes,Tuccan Ridge,and The Reserves at Town Centre.
Are their any we should be wary of?
What are best for short term rental etc.?

Carla
10-06-2003, 04:44
Hi Dodge

Calabay, Hampton and Tuscan all seem to rent out very well and I know of a number of happy owners. :D:D

The Reserve is not far from my own development (a small part backs onto Thousand Oaks) and seems to have quite small homes in comparison to the other developments that you mentioned - nearly all with single garages etc. Don't yet know of anyone renting on the Reserve, so it is hard to say how well they will rent out. D R Horton is the builder and they have a website www.drhorton.com

Have just checked and they do seem smaller than most homes on the market with a 5 bed 3 bath at just 1768 sq.ft. with a single garage for US$206,900 base price. Seems very pricey for a home that is smaller than a lot of 4 bed homes.

Keep meaning to go round and take a look, but time always runs out for me when I'm in Florida. If you go there yourself please let me know what they are like! :D

Karen E
10-06-2003, 11:31
Hi Dodge

Tuscan Ridge is now sold out, shame as they are fabulous homes on large plots ( I bought 2 x 5 beds for myself there) and the builder has nothing more in the pipeline for another year at least, Hampton Lakes is also down to a handful of homes left, Calabay Parc has approx 80 lots left and they are one of only a few remaining builders still including the furniture packages which is nice quality. One thing I noticed while there a couple of weeks agao is that there are fewer new homes available and the prices have shot up as well as most removing the furniture, the prices for re-sales have also risen. Town Centre homes are in my personal opinion a gaudy mixture of bright carribean colours with horrendous mulitcoloured furniture homes all the same with no individuality and pricey for what they are.

If you would like any further info with no obligation from myself as a homeowner and realtor then please feel free to contact me anytime.

Good luck with your purchase :D:D:D

esprit
10-06-2003, 16:52
On the subject on retiring out there, no can do as things are at present. If you can find someone to sponsor you for a job or have a business large enough to transfer you out, yes, as you will eventually get a green card. On a business visa such as the one I just got, no, the business must keep trading even if you have to put a manager in.
We are taking a 17 year old with us on E2. This is what we were told.
He will be able to stay until 21 years. If he is still in full time education, he can stay until he finishes college. He is dropping back a year, so will be 23 before he finishes all that. If he graduates and gets a graduate position, he will be able to stay on a H1B, eventually get a green card and sponsor us for one at some future stage. If he does not do well enough to go to college, our option is to buy him a small business so he gets his own E2. We have vacation villas we could sell to fund that as a back uo plan if it became necessary. I have also heard that legislation is afoot that will mean that the children of E2 holders who have completed 5 years in education will be able to stay in the US irrespective as the present position is seen as inequitable, however am not replying on that as there is a chance it may not go through as the retirees visa did not.

chrizzy100
10-06-2003, 18:41
Is that both sides of Tuscan Ridge......even the village.....?
We knew the min we walked into the villa there....that was the place....a lot of home for little money...or what seems a little after living round here.....lol...!
I loved not having to spend days looking into 'extras'.....everything was in the price....it took 2 hours and only $1400 to get the house just how we wanted it.....the other house we looked at was going to take days of looking at door handles and stuff....and around $20.000 of extras.....
I think the 4 beds 3 baths with pool had a start price of a hundred and eighty-one thousand.....we had the end lot so we could add our own pool whenever or if ever.....seeing as we're not renting.....
its so much cheaper that way......

chrizzy100
10-06-2003, 18:47
We paid $155.000.....for 2207 living space....and 2721 under roof..... double garage etc....it would of been around $24.000+ more for the pool...

chrizzy100
10-06-2003, 18:59
It would be very hard for him not to pass exams for a degree in the States if he's spent most of his time in an English school....he should walk it......my son has learning problems mostly spelling....but he's still way ahead of his class mates here.......because hes already learnt most of what they are teaching him in high school..back in England in JR school....a second lauguage is a must to get in most colleges I've been told....but that may just be in Mass.....but spainish is a very useful one to learn anyway..a must have in some parts of the USA anyway.....

timmy
10-06-2003, 21:53
Dodge

We have recently bought on Calabay Parc. We loved the quality of the build, the excellent furniture package and the peaceful location - no noise from the nearby US 27 that you may experience on some of the other sites.

Since advertising on the net, we've been receiving loads of enquiries even though it's not built yet.

So far we have no complaints about our choice of community.

Good luck

Timmy

Dodge
10-06-2003, 22:17
quote:Originally posted by Carla

Hi Dodge

Calabay, Hampton and Tuscan all seem to rent out very well and I know of a number of happy owners. :D:D

The Reserve is not far from my own development (a small part backs onto Thousand Oaks) and seems to have quite small homes in comparison to the other developments that you mentioned - nearly all with single garages etc. Don't yet know of anyone renting on the Reserve, so it is hard to say how well they will rent out. D R Horton is the builder and they have a website www.drhorton.com

Have just checked and they do seem smaller than most homes on the market with a 5 bed 3 bath at just 1768 sq.ft. with a single garage for US$206,900 base price. Seems very pricey for a home that is smaller than a lot of 4 bed homes.

Keep meaning to go round and take a look, but time always runs out for me when I'm in Florida. If you go there yourself please let me know what they are like! :D

Dodge
10-06-2003, 22:23
Hi Karen,
Thanks for the info I must say that Calabay park was our prefered development anyway.

quote:Originally posted by Karen E

Hi Dodge

Tuscan Ridge is now sold out, shame as they are fabulous homes on large plots ( I bought 2 x 5 beds for myself there) and the builder has nothing more in the pipeline for another year at least, Hampton Lakes is also down to a handful of homes left, Calabay Parc has approx 80 lots left and they are one of only a few remaining builders still including the furniture packages which is nice quality. One thing I noticed while there a couple of weeks agao is that there are fewer new homes available and the prices have shot up as well as most removing the furniture, the prices for re-sales have also risen. Town Centre homes are in my personal opinion a gaudy mixture of bright carribean colours with horrendous mulitcoloured furniture homes all the same with no individuality and pricey for what they are.

If you would like any further info with no obligation from myself as a homeowner and realtor then please feel free to contact me anytime.

Good luck with your purchase :D:D:D

chrizzy100
10-06-2003, 22:51
We spent time at a few places on the us 27....and never heard noise from the road.....not that I'd notice because we have a busy road behind us here.....:)

Dodge
11-06-2003, 03:36
Hi Timmy,

Glad to hear you are happy with your puchase.

What model have you bought?
How long is it taking to be built?

Dodge
11-06-2003, 19:28
Thanks Timmy,

Hope we have as much luck with our future property:)