PDA

View Full Version : Good Deal on Rental Car

AndrewP
09-06-2003, 13:34
Airline network currently have, what seems like a good deal, 7 seater mini vans for £355.00 for a fortnight, fully inclusive.

Does anyone know anywhere cheaper?

bellaepovera
09-06-2003, 17:29
Ive found a mini van for £225 weekly full inclusive...And this is in the summer months..

AndrewP
10-06-2003, 13:37
Was that with Airline Network?

£355 for 2 weeks fully inclusive is very good. They are doing 1 week for £177.00 fully inclusive for the summer months too!

steph_goodrum
10-06-2003, 15:00
Do you have a linnk for them Andrew
I'd like to check rental rates for California.
Thanks

Chris7
10-06-2003, 16:06
Their web site is www.airline-network.co.uk I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has used them because I also found the deal but thought it was a bit cheap (as are their flights) and I haven't used them before

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
10-06-2003, 17:05
We'cve used them for flights (but not car hire) in the past and were very pleased with the excellent service they provided.

porky
10-06-2003, 17:09
We've used for both flights and car hire and, as John says, the service is excellent.

Jacqui

Peter R
10-06-2003, 23:05
We have also used them or flights and found their service to be excellent. Never used them for care hire though.

Peter R

AndrewP
11-06-2003, 02:20
Well I have booked for November 3-17 (2 weeks) total was £355 plus £19.00 for platinum cover (unlimited drivers and full tank of gas).

Best deal I have seen since I started hunting for a good deal back in November last year!

Lee
11-06-2003, 14:22
Sorry for barging in on this thread but it seems to be a bit more alive than the one where I originally posted my question.

Can anyone tell me if there is a deposit you have to pay when picking up a hire car. I'll be hiring through the service offered by OrlandoVillas.com. So if any of you veteran car hire people are there, can you tell me what's the usual procedure?

Cheers,
Lee

blott
11-06-2003, 16:10
Hi Lee

Sometimes you have to provide a major credit card (MasterCard, Visa, AmEx, etc) which they take a swipe of to pay for your tank of petrol/gas, extra drivers, infant seats, etc. They don't take any deposit as you've already paid for the car rental and will be giving them your prepaid voucher. If you've booked the gold option, which includes a full tank and extra drivers in the price, I don't think you'll find that you need to do this, unless you've ordered infant seats that you need to pay for.

Still, I expect you'll be taking your credit card(s) anyway - think of all those shopping opportunities for a start! ;)

chrizzy100
13-06-2003, 21:19
quote:Originally posted by blott

Hi Lee

Sometimes you have to provide a major credit card (MasterCard, Visa, AmEx, etc) which they take a swipe of to pay for your tank of petrol/gas, extra drivers, infant seats, etc. They don't take any deposit as you've already paid for the car rental and will be giving them your prepaid voucher. If you've booked the gold option, which includes a full tank and extra drivers in the price, I don't think you'll find that you need to do this, unless you've ordered infant seats that you need to pay for.

Still, I expect you'll be taking your credit card(s) anyway - think of all those shopping opportunities for a start! ;)

You can't breath in the USA without a major credit card......lol

Dennis Elliott
14-06-2003, 01:16
Hi I am new to this site.

travelix.com are offering 7 seaters for £277 for two weeks all inc: This is with Alamo and Dollar two well known car rental services. I have used both amd both are very good. You will need a credit card.

Chris7
14-06-2003, 02:15
Does that come with an engine :D

blott
14-06-2003, 03:02
Hi Dennis

I just tried the site you mentioned and it says that taxes and insurance aren't included... where did you see that these were included please?

caroline
14-06-2003, 03:25
I tried it out too! Like Blott I could only find quotes without tax and insurance, also only for 1 driver, it said that everything else had to be paid locally, but didn't give an idea of what it would cost:( - I prefer to pay all the insurance etc before we go, I don't like nasty surprises!

Tea
30-06-2003, 14:20
I checked out the above mentioned site of Airline Network and found the prices excellent. But will they charge the whole rental charge on your credit card upon making the reservation? That's how it seems to work... is this a usual practice?

blott
30-06-2003, 16:03
No Tea, almost all places where you book flights or cars will charge your credit card in full on making a reservation. Airline-network, though, will allow you to pay a deposit only on any flights you book through them, with the balance due about 8 weeks before departure date.

Bamboo Benny
29-08-2003, 12:50
Used airline network for car hire in LA. Got a 7 seater mini-van for 4 days at £110 !! Very impressed with them.

Chris7
29-08-2003, 13:50
Thank's for that Bamboo Benny - I'm booked with airline network but we don't go till October. I've never used them before so I was keeping my fingers crossed:)

steph_goodrum
29-08-2003, 15:17
We've just used them and booked a 7 seater mini van from LA(according to Dollar wesite Voyager or equivalent) for £420 for 15 days, on arrival my husband was told there was no luggage space behind the seats of the Voyager so paid $160 to upgrade to a Dodge Caravan (there were only 4 of us travelling but we wanted space, I'm going to check out later if he was just fed a line or if its true about the Voyager. As we'd arrived 3 hours later than planned he didn't think to ask if he could see a Voyager , just wanted to get out,

sunshine state
29-08-2003, 16:50
If we are going to hire a car its great to hire it from the airport as you get to find your own way to the villa in your own time and they usually give you a pretty good deal.

Sunnyjim
29-08-2003, 17:13
I have just booked a 7 seater minivan for our trip in October
from the forums us car hire. Can anybody tell me if the vehicles are collected from the Dollar point just outside departures or some other location.
Also one hire company I was reccommended offered a meet and greet service which I thought was quite useful (unfortunatley they did not have availability for our dates)Does any one know of other companys offering this service.

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
29-08-2003, 17:14
Sunnyjim:

The car hire is collected from Dollar on the ground floor at MCO (assuming you are flying into MCO).

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
29-08-2003, 17:17
Steph

I drive a Voyager in the UK (so I can 'think' I am in Florida everyday :D).

If there are 4 of you travelling you could use the fron 4 seats (lots of room) and put the back seat down to provide acres of space - certainly more than enough for 4 peoples luggage. Alternatively - you can get 2-3 suitcases in the book (trunk) anyway and the rest in the car as there is loads of room.

Sounds like the car hire person was spinning you a line there somehow!

quote:Originally posted by steph_goodrum

We've just used them and booked a 7 seater mini van from LA(according to Dollar wesite Voyager or equivalent) for £420 for 15 days, on arrival my husband was told there was no luggage space behind the seats of the Voyager so paid $160 to upgrade to a Dodge Caravan (there were only 4 of us travelling but we wanted space, I'm going to check out later if he was just fed a line or if its true about the Voyager. As we'd arrived 3 hours later than planned he didn't think to ask if he could see a Voyager , just wanted to get out,

chrisj
29-08-2003, 18:06
We had a 7 seater mini van from Dollar, it was great just having the extra space so
when the kids were tired they could sit apart and not wind each other up.

It was easy collecting it from Dollar, just walked into the car park and there they were.

Easy drive out of the airport as well.

lisi
03-09-2003, 15:52
Hi
I have just booked a Daewoo through them for £248 for 12 days after reading all your replies so hope it will be OK. They did seem cheaper than other companies and I was encouraged by reading your mail.

Will report back later!!

Lisi

coombsyl
19-09-2003, 00:58
We booked through Airline Network in March and got a really good deal on a full sized car (which I think is still on) where we got a full sized car for the price of a mid sized - when we added the platinum cover, it actually reduced the price by 26 pounds. Although there are only four of us, this time we are getting a mini van for the price of a full size to cope with the luggage on the way back and also we like the mini vans.

We had no problem at all and were really impressed with them. Dollar will always try and get you to upgrade but we just politely say no. Although there are only four of us in a seven seater this time, they will try to convince us that we need a twelve-seater!!!!

chrisj
19-09-2003, 01:35
hehehe i bet they do,

mind you we only need a full size car, but always hire a 7 seater. I love them

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
19-09-2003, 01:47
Us too Chris. We liked the Voyager's in the US so much that we got one for ourseves is the UK. It's fantastic and raises quite a few eyebrows wherever you go as there are not that many of them in the UK and they look spectacular :D:D:D

Lesley S
19-09-2003, 01:49
We also have a voyager and people do look at you when you drive past, especially with the black tinted windows as well.

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
19-09-2003, 02:01
They absolutely have to have the blacked out windows :D

sunshine state
19-09-2003, 02:17
Yes i heard something about that whats the reason for this then.

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
19-09-2003, 02:20
What's the reason for what Sunshine State?

Chris7
19-09-2003, 03:33
I guess he means the reason for the blacked out windows. In Florida it's the heat, over here they tend to be on BMWs and called "pimp-mobiles"

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
19-09-2003, 12:35
Oh I see - the blacked out windows are great for shielding the sun from our childrens eyes (rather than having to have one of those blind things that fix on the windows) but the main reaon is they make the car look cool...a Voyager just does not look as good without them :D;):D;)

Chris7
19-09-2003, 12:53
One question that has always puzzled me, do owners still hire cars when they go to the US, or do they buy one and keep it there?

Obviously there are problems like insurance cover and how to get from the airport to your villa, but you must reach a point where it is cheaper to buy.

chrisj
19-09-2003, 13:08
We have a few voyagers at work and im always trying to make up trips so I can
have obe of them, sometimes works :)

fiona
19-09-2003, 13:15
Try getting insurance Chris! Plus if you take your driving licence and pass it is only valid for the length of your visa - 3 or 6 months! Plus it has to be sent to your villa, and if you live where we do, they won't deliver to STR villas. They want our money but they don't really want us I sometimes think!!

Chris7
19-09-2003, 22:18
Hmm I thought that might be the case, but it makes buying a villa even less justifyable
1. They don't appreciate
2. They are hard work to rent (and may have to be subsidised)
3. They won't save much on the cost of a holiday (you still have insurance, flights & car hire to pay)

It only makes sence if you can "live the dream" and move out there:(

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
19-09-2003, 22:26
That sounds about right Chris - it is possible to make a (small) profit on the villa every year if you are really lucky but this soon gets swallowed up in small repairs etc etc. Still, you have the chance to have a dream home in the sun and lavish love and attention on it whilst getting the holiday of a lifetime as often as you can :D

chrizzy100
19-09-2003, 23:19
quote:Originally posted by Chris7

Hmm I thought that might be the case, but it makes buying a villa even less justifyable
1. They don't appreciate
2. They are hard work to rent (and may have to be subsidised)
3. They won't save much on the cost of a holiday (you still have insurance, flights & car hire to pay)

It only makes sence if you can "live the dream" and move out there:(

I don't think you can say they don't appreciate....I was looking today for a house something like mine....and I can find them at around $165k to $175K...I paid $153K in May....we make around $50k a year on our house on the Cape...I think we'll make around $7-$10k on our house in FL...no trouble....

Chris7
20-09-2003, 02:33
"we make around $50k a year on our house on the Cape...I think we'll make around $7-$10k on our house in FL...no trouble" - that may be true, but for each one like you there must be 10 on this site who barely break even:(

Even on your figures, you must accept that if you bought another house on the Cape and also make $50K on that, you could buy many, many weeks in other people's villas in FL;)

chrizzy100
20-09-2003, 02:39

"we make around $50k a year on our house on the Cape...I think we'll make around $7-$10k on our house in FL...no trouble" - that may be true, but for each one like you there must be 10 on this site who barely break even:(

Even on your figures, you must accept that if you bought another house on the Cape and also make $50K on that, you could buy many, many weeks in other people's villas in FL;)

I could but we got our house on the Cape at $160K just under 4 years ago....now their well over three hundred thousand for a nice place in a good area like we are....we can't get a loan for that amount....but we can for the $153k....in FL....
I'm not talking about renting the villa out and making $7k+ a year....I'm talking about its value going up....I'm not renting...also the $50k is the house value going up per year...not from renting.....if thats what you thought......sorry

chrisj
20-09-2003, 03:03
sorry to butt in, but as an investment, a house in florida isnt in my opinion a good
way to get a return on your money, the reason being, many more are being built and
there isnt the old chestnut of supply and demand, which is the main reason for prices
to rise. So your investment will not grow that much, but your expense will

A house in Florida is a way of buying yourself a dream home in a lovely place and if you
are lucky the rental money will cover the costs, therefore you end up with a second home
that has in theory cost you not that much. I would doubt very much if you would make
a lot of money if you sold it as house prices are very stable there.

Well thats my opinion for what its worth

chrizzy100
20-09-2003, 03:25
quote:Originally posted by chrisj

sorry to butt in, but as an investment, a house in florida isnt in my opinion a good
way to get a return on your money, the reason being, many more are being built and
there isnt the old chestnut of supply and demand, which is the main reason for prices
to rise. So your investment will not grow that much, but your expense will

A house in Florida is a way of buying yourself a dream home in a lovely place and if you
are lucky the rental money will cover the costs, therefore you end up with a second home
that has in theory cost you not that much. I would doubt very much if you would make
a lot of money if you sold it as house prices are very stable there.

Well thats my opinion for what its worth

We got our house in FL to live in full time in the next few years....and sell the one we live in now... to cash in the money we've made on it over the years........house prices have gone up in the Orlando area over the last 3 years....my friends trying to buy a home to live in...and keeps seeing the cost of buying that home going up....maybe only by $7k a year....but if your in this for the next 20 years..you will see a return if you got you home at a good price....very few places in the States have fast moving house prices....

chrisj
20-09-2003, 16:49
House prices where I live have been going up by 20-30k a year
so if I wanted to buy property as an investment I would buy here

If I wanted a second home for holidays and to rent to cover
some of the costs I would buy in Florida

chrizzy100
20-09-2003, 19:48
quote:Originally posted by chrisj

House prices where I live have been going up by 20-30k a year
so if I wanted to buy property as an investment I would buy here

If I wanted a second home for holidays and to rent to cover
some of the costs I would buy in Florida

We could never buy a house on the Cape now....they cost way to much....we were lucky to come here just as house prices start to go up really fast....

Chris7
21-09-2003, 02:17
"I could but we got our house on the Cape at $160K just under 4 years ago....now their well over three hundred thousand " - That's my point Chrizzy - 4 years ago there probably wasn't much difference. In that time your Cape house has doubled and the Florida one gone up by the sqare root of nowt:(

Just think what kind of a FL villa you could retire to if you had a "spare" Cape home to sell;)

chrizzy100
21-09-2003, 02:41

"I could but we got our house on the Cape at $160K just under 4 years ago....now their well over three hundred thousand " - That's my point Chrizzy - 4 years ago there probably wasn't much difference. In that time your Cape house has doubled and the Florida one gone up by the sqare root of nowt:(

Just think what kind of a FL villa you could retire to if you had a "spare" Cape home to sell;)

Yes but..around 11 years ago we talked with an English couple selling homes to Brits for renting out in FL...at the time the homes were selling for $25K...now the same homes are going for $100K +.....thats still not a bad return....right now people want houses on the Cape.....in a few years it could be that they want houses somewhere else.....

chrisj
21-09-2003, 04:18
Chrizzy

you have a good point, today its florida, tomorrow it could be somewhere else, so i suppose
the answer is dont rely on the rental market cos it could dry up

Chris7
21-09-2003, 15:50
I don't think Florida will ever dry up. The weather (and a certain Mouse) have guaranteed its future, but it still aint an investment. $25K may well become $100K after 11 years, but the same $25K invested anywhere in the UK would have gone up far more (I don't even think you can still get property [you'd want to live in] in the UK for $100K?)

I think you also have a different situation Chrizzy, because you are in the US. For anyone else, there is a maximum of 4 months each year when they can visit (without being taxed as a resident), and we have additional costs which you don't have to carry (transatlantic flights, insurance problems if we stay more than 30 days on a trip, vehicle insurance far higher than you must pay as a resident etc)

chrisj
21-09-2003, 19:35
Florida wont dry up, but the rental market may be heading towards problems. More and more
people are buying to rent out, and im sure one day it will hit saturation point where there
are more properties to rent that people wanting to rent them.

thats not being negaitve as we have seriously been looking into buying a holiday home for over
a year, and have decided against florida ( sorry ) and opted for Cyprus instead for various reasons

Chris7
21-09-2003, 21:14
I think one of the problems for the rental market is expectation. I paid less to go to florida and stay in a 3 bed villa with pool than my sister paid to stay in a caravan in France. (I'm not saying this for effect, I really did![}:)])

I don't know cyprus, but I'm sure you won't get rich trying to fight the hoards of owners in Florida!

Funshine
21-09-2003, 21:14
I must have missed those homes for $25k 11 years ago, where were they situated? :( We paid 4 times that!!

Chris7
22-09-2003, 00:05
Perhaps in the centre of some corc infested swamp - there's a lot of it about :D

chrisj
22-09-2003, 01:41
Cyprus is lovely, warm all year, people are friendly and they use the same 240 volts
we do :D

And its only just over a 4 hour flight and i can fly from heathrow which is round the
corner

chrizzy100
22-09-2003, 02:12
quote:Originally posted by Funshine

I must have missed those homes for $25k 11 years ago, where were they situated? :( We paid 4 times that!!

They were in a Mall....It was $25K...I really remember that... it stuck in my head all this time.....you paid extra for a pool and screen etc....there was a big thing going on about stopping Brits etc from buying in some parts of Orlando....so my parents thought the houses were being sold off quick before that rule came in....it looks like it never did....