PDA

View Full Version : Splendid China

imported_n/a
19-02-2002, 02:43
My daughter keeps pestering me to go and it is very near to the villa.
Has anyone been? Welcome your thoughts about the value for money/suitability for children 4 and 8 years.
Many thanks
Jsne

steph_goodrum
19-02-2002, 03:14
It's one of these that you'll either love or hate. My daughter and I both enjoyed it but Mick wasn't impressed.
We made the mistake of going for the whole day, it was in the 90's and walking round the exhibits was very tiring, the kids will like pushing the buttons telling you about the various displays. the shows during the day weren't too bad but the evening show was better.
We went at about 11, but thought it would have been better to arrive between about 1 and 2, as the meal included (which wasn't particularly nice - we get better from our local takeaway) is not available until after 4 p.m. and the show is about 7p.m.. We decided if we'd gone later we could have done a couple of hours walking round, then had the meal and finished off the park and then watched the show. You can leave and re-enter the park so you could go back for a swim to fill in some time. The kids will probably like the shop, there's lots of little novelties.
We thought it was a bit over priced and it's one of those once you've done it you probably won't want to revisit too often as I don't think much changes, but like all of them it's personal taste.
steph

Edited by - steph_goodrum on 18/02/2002 23:16:28

Edited by - steph_goodrum on 18/02/2002 23:17:03

Edited by - steph_goodrum on 18/02/2002 23:17:58

orlandobabe
20-02-2002, 17:10
We did this about 4 years ago- and like Steph we made the mistake of going too early. It was a red hot day-not an awful lot of places to find shelter and certainly none that were air conditioned.

It started off quite promising but we began to feel that the lack of people in the park was a bit spooky! After about 3 hours of trudging around where one exhibit was starting to look a bit like the last one-we cut our losses and left-without staying for the meal.

Shame really-because the entrance to go in is beautifully done with shops and ponds with huge Koi Carp.

The entertainment was quite good-but fell a bit flat as they were performing to so few visitors.

I think it's such a shame that it is not open on an evening. It's really spooky if you drive round there on a night when everything is shut up and there's music playing-I wouln't like to be in the tomb with the terracotta warriors then!!!

There were rumours that it was closing-but it is sponsored by the Greater China Foundation a non profit making organisation.

Prices are $28 for adults and $10 for children.

If you do decide to go -go later on in the day.

Orlandobabe

orlandobabe
20-02-2002, 17:11
Sorry-that should have read $10 cheaper for children-making it $18.

Orlandobabe

athurstance
20-02-2002, 17:24
You can go to the restaurant and shop area for free to get an idea of what it's like. The shops are worth a browse for an hour.

imported_n/a
21-02-2002, 03:00
They recalled the General Manager to China last year and put him under house arrest because Spledid China had lost millions of dollars! They are now doing special offers/discounts to try and re-vamp the park, worth looking out for.

Carla
21-02-2002, 19:13
I first went there in 1996 with my family and we had quite a pleasant afternoon - hardly anyone around though, boiling hot (August) no shade, no air-con and the kids had had enough after about 2 hours.

I went again last December with some friends and we were bitterly disappointed. It looks as though many of the exhibits are falling apart. They have definitely not weathered very well.

If you do decide to go then make sure that you pick up one of the voucher books, because there is bound to be a voucher for Splendid China in it, offering US$6 off any entrance ticket price.

imported_n/a
22-02-2002, 03:08
Thanks Margot it sounds as though it hasnt improved yet the news was it would improve. Perhaps we will give it a miss for now

blott
24-02-2002, 16:26
One of our guests went to Splendid China and made a point of letting me know how awful she thought it was in case anyone else spent money on it. She also said the exhibits were falling apart and the whole place looked shabby and unkempt.

I haven't wasted the entrance fee to check out what she said is true but it sounds, from the other posts, that she was right.

blott

esprit
25-02-2002, 03:20
Think most of the people who go there now are using the free vouchers given away by the nearby hotels so they are not paying guests. We went when it first opened when they had the doped up white tiger.You could go right up to him and get your photo taken. Dont think he is there any more? He is probably in rehab!! I remember the show in the evening was very good. Has that gone downhill too?

Julie Carty

MMFAN
26-02-2002, 23:37
We stopped by Splendid China yeterday, they were so unbusy you had to buy tickets at the gate...the booths were closed. The only people around were the vendors. We thought better of it...