PDA

View Full Version : MRP Opinions Please....

ujpest doza
17-11-2005, 16:14
Here are a couple of posts from another site. I posed a question in relation to an answer given about Machine Readable Passports and was given this answer by a moderator on there.

Is this correct?? Opinions please...

<blockquote id=&#39;quote&#39; class=&#39;ffs&#39;>quote:Quote:
Under current US legislation, if you have a Machine Readable Passport which does not have a digital photograph, then it is valid for visa free travel to the US up until 26 October 2006.

My passport is machine readable and was issued in 1998.

My wife and daughter both have passports issued in 2003 and have embossed signatures and a hologram on the photo.

Mine was fine this year but i am now a bit concerned as we are booked to travel in December 2006 and i had previously been led to believe that as long as it was machine readable i would be okay until it needed renewing.

Is this not so?</blockquote id=&#39;quote&#39;>

<blockquote id=&#39;quote&#39; class=&#39;ffs&#39;>quote:Hi ujpest doza ... the UK Passport Agency introduced digital photographs in 1998. I&#39;m not sure of the exact date, but obviously your situation depends on whether the passport was issued before or after the introduction of digital images.

If your passport contains a digital image which has been scanned into the passport, then you are okay for travel to the US in December 2006.

But if it contains the actual photo, rather than a digital reproduction, it is valid for entry to the US only until October 2006.

David </blockquote id=&#39;quote&#39;>

blott
17-11-2005, 16:54
I think that's incorrect.

From October 26, 2005 passports <span style="color:red">issued on or after that date</span id="red"> must contain a digital photograph of the holder.

This is one of the reasons why we're been advising people whose passports end next year to get a new one before 26 October 2005.

The reference is here: http://london.usembassy.gov/cons_new/visa/niv/mrp_bio.html

Jill
18-11-2005, 03:25
If you do need to change your passport hurry up and do it before 1st December as it has just been announced they are going up from £42 to £51. If you have up to 9 months still to run on your existing passport this will be added to the new one.

jolliffee
18-11-2005, 11:53
How do you tell if you have a digital picture, my passport runs out in 2009 but I think its one of the pre digital.
Or are we saying as long as it was issued prior to October 26, 2005 it will be ok?

Jill
18-11-2005, 13:20
We had both in our household and it is easy to tell. If it is a digital photo the back cover of the passport is flat. If it has a 'proper' picture in it then you can see the outline of the passport on the outside of the back cover and it is no longer flat. Sorry if explanation sounds a bit stupid but not quite sure how else to describe it.

jolliffee
18-11-2005, 15:50
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Jill
We had both in our household and it is easy to tell. If it is a digital photo the back cover of the passport is flat. If it has a 'proper' picture in it then you can see the outline of the passport on the outside of the back cover and it is no longer flat. Sorry if explanation sounds a bit stupid but not quite sure how else to describe it.

[/quote]
Good explanation, just checked ours and Pamela has a digital and mine has an outline so is a picture behind the film.

blott
18-11-2005, 16:26
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by jolliffee
Or are we saying as long as it was issued prior to October 26, 2005 it will be ok?[/quote]That's exactly what the American Embassy website says (see above).

jolliffee
18-11-2005, 21:42
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by blott
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by jolliffee
Or are we saying as long as it was issued prior to October 26, 2005 it will be ok?[/quote]That's exactly what the American Embassy website says (see above).
[/quote]

Thanks Blott[msnsmile2]

Cruella DeVilla
21-11-2005, 18:32
Dave,
If you can see you photo clearly it is not digital! The newer digital photos are awful I have just renewd my passport in October and I had a pink top on with my blonde hair against a white background as required by the regulation and I look like a ghost! I was worried last week when we went but it was no problem photo wise, even though I had a different surname to the prints they had on record as my old passport was still in my maiden name! I was half expecting to be carted off as a friend of ours was for putting the wrong finger on the reader!

Robby
22-11-2005, 11:41
I too will be travelling under my new married name, hope it goes ok as last time of entry I was takem to that special little room and held for 1 hour, soon learnt what my index finger was[msnmad] as CVD says photos are not favourable to the eye.

ujpest doza
22-11-2005, 16:12
Blott,

I have had a good read of the stuff you linked me to and posted a reply to the moderator on the other site i had been on saying i thought he was wrong. He replied that the information he had was from the UK Passport Agency and upon looking it up it says this :-

VISA-FREE TRAVEL TO THE US FOR BRITISH VISITORS EXTENDED FOR A FURTHER YEAR

The US Department of Homeland Security announced, on 15 June, a one-year extension of its Visa Waiver Programme (VWP) to 26 October 2006.

VWP countries, including the UK, are required to have a biometric passport issuing system in place by 26 October 2006 in order to continue as members of the Programme and benefit from visa free travel to the US after that date.

The US also announced a requirement that all new passports issued on or after 26 October 2005 must contain a digital photo image to enable the holder to travel to the USA visa free. This does not affect the UK as we have been issuing digital passports since 1998.

This means that:

British citizens with machine-readable passports containing a digital photo image will not require a visa to visit the USA because they meet the criteria of the 26 October 2005 VWP deadline.

[u]British citizens with machine-readable passports but without a digital photo will still be able to visit the USA visa free until the 26 October 2006 as their passport was issued before the 26 October 2005 deadline.</u>

British citizens without a machine-readable passport must obtain a machine-readable passport or apply for a US visa before visiting the USA.

The Foreign and Commonwealth Office and UK Passport Service (UKPS) welcome the US decision. It will now enable the UK to finalise the developments of our biometric programme and allows British visitors to continue to visit the US visa free.

The underlined bit means that although my passport is machine readable, as it has an original photo rather than a digital image, it is only valid for VWP travel until 26/10/06.

Link : http://www.ukpa.gov.uk/press_160605.asp

ujpest doza
22-11-2005, 16:27
This just gets more silly and confusing.
One Government Department contradicting another.
There is a link on the uk passport website to the Foreign Office advisory website and that says it will be okay[?]

http://www.fco.gov.uk/servlet/Front?pagename=OpenMarket/Xcelerate/ShowPage&c=Page&cid=1007029390590&a=KCountryAdvice&aid=1013618385531

On 15 June, the US Department of Homeland Security announced a one-year extension of its Visa Waiver Programme (VWP) to 26 October 2006.

VWP countries, including the UK, are required to have a biometric passport issuing system in place by 26 October 2006, in order to continue as members of the Programme and benefit from visa free travel to the US after that date. Biometric passports will contain data about the holder’s face, and may also contain other unique personal information such as fingerprints and iris details.

The US also announced a requirement that all new passports issued on or after 26 October 2005, must contain a digital photo image to enable the holder to travel to the USA visa free.

This means that in order to travel under the VWP:
[u]If you are holding a British Citizen passport, you can enter the US with a machine-readable passport, with or without a digital photo image (since 2003 all UK passports have been issued with digital photographs). </u>
From 26 October 2006, all passports issued on or after that date will have to include biometric data. The UK is on course to meet this deadline.

ujpest doza
22-11-2005, 16:51
After having a further look at the US Embassy in London's website it appears that they too say it doesn't matter about digital photos as long as the passport was issued prior to 26/10/05 and is machine readable.[msnscared]

UK passport agency say their Biometric ones will be ready by June, so if the position changes i may have to get one of them nearer the time:(

blott
22-11-2005, 17:00
Whichever site you read it on, whoever the moderator was who said you needed a new passport for a digital photograph got it wrong didn't they? You asked about digital photographs and not biometric passports.

I don't think there's any likelihood of your having to get a biometric passport as normally the regulations aren't introduced retrospectively and your existing passport is normally OK. If we hear any different, we'll post it.

ujpest doza
22-11-2005, 17:05
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by blott
Whichever site you read it on, whoever the moderator was who said you needed a new passport for a digital photograph got it wrong didn't they? You asked about digital photographs and not biometric passports.

I don't think there's any likelihood of your having to get a biometric passport as normally the regulations aren't introduced retrospectively and your existing passport is normally OK. If we hear any different, we'll post it.
[/quote]

Cheers, i think he posted his answer in good faith though because the UK passport agency does say non digital photos are valid until 26/10/06, but this contradicted elsewhere.

farawayfan
22-11-2005, 22:35
I just checked this out with the British Consulate here in Israel. We have dual nationality - British and Israeli passports but the British ones were issued by the Consulate in 2002 and are not machine-readable nor do they have digital photos. Israel is not part of VWP so our Israeli passports are useless and a visa is more expensive than a new British passport.

When I called the British Consulate last Friday they told me that I needed to have a new passport issued but that I should wait until May when the biometric ones would be available. They told me it would be a waste of money to have new ones issued now as everyone will soon have to have a biometric one.

I don't know if this is true or whether they are making me wait so that I pay more when they increase the prices. I don't know what to do as I'd rather get them done and know that it's another job out of the way. If I wait until May they'll probably say that the new system isn't in place yet and I'll be no further forward but will have to pay more for the passports.

Our departure date is 27 June.

blott
23-11-2005, 02:31
If you're going to have to get new ones anyway, then I guess it would make sense to wait until biometric ones are available so that you can get machine readable, digital photo and biometrics all in one go.

It's up to you really - if you renew the passports now then you'll get machine readable and digital photo ones.

I'm no expert on dual nationality passports anyway.

jon2211
26-01-2006, 22:36
i am really confused now. we are traveling to Florida in April 2006 with another family. they have just submitted their application for passports. When they get their passports back, will they be able to use the VWP or do they need a visa?

Help!!!!

Robert5988
26-01-2006, 22:51
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote: i am really confused now. we are traveling to Florida in April 2006 with another family. they have just submitted their application for passports. When they get their passports back, will they be able to use the VWP or do they need a visa?
[/quote]
The Visa Waiver Programme is not affected by the issue of digital photos in passports.

Old or new type photo in the machine readable passport and you can enter on a visa waiver. - obviously provided you meet the criteria for entry under the VWP.(not arrested, less than 90 days etc)