PDA

View Full Version : flights for Easter 06

LiesaAnna
17-11-2005, 02:31
does anyone have any ideas for flights for Easter, i have some friends who are in teaching and want to surprise their grandchildren with a trip to disneyworld but it has to be Easter 06, 1st-15th April 06, i am doing it to help, as her time is limited with children around!
so far everywhere is booked fully or astronomical prices!!!
help!!!!

wrpac00
17-11-2005, 02:46
I am afraid that is the trouble with going in school holidays, they double or more the prices and they sell out fast. I know I have been doing it for 28 years, one of the downsides of being married to a teacher.[msnsad]

LiesaAnna
17-11-2005, 02:52
Thanks Paul

pieman790
17-11-2005, 03:40
We had some people want to book for Easter 2006 who were also Teachers and it was almost £750 each for the flights. It cheaper if you can go 3 or 4 days before the kids break up but not if your a teacher.

Ray&Sarah
17-11-2005, 04:03
We had an Easter booking that chose to move their holiday to the end of May rather than pay the high flight prices. Since then though we have rebooked to a family who are doing what Neil & Cathy suggest and going a few days earlier, of course this is not possible for your friends Liesa. Keep looking though you never know when you might strike lucky, there are quite often bargains to be had.[msnsmile2]

17-11-2005, 09:50
Liesa maybe they should consider Easter 2007 I think 2006 would be pretty much booked up and choice will be limited[msnscared]

E. Cosgrove
17-11-2005, 10:41
Liesa, we booked this time last year for Easter 2005 and got an excellent deal £275 flying with US Airways via Charlotte.

LiesaAnna
17-11-2005, 11:44
so there is hope then Liz, virgin are fully booked unless you want to go business class, we have looked at dates either side by a day or two, but cant be done, (they had special holiday last year and the year before that took a little time out of school time so cant do again, such a shame cos the villa is booked, but am sure it could be relet this Easter, i didnt realize it would be so difficult to get flights!! and any under £600 if they go after the 18th April they can get them for just over £300, this is so unfair!! does the Education people really think that some of these people are going to be put off by being given penalties of £50-£100? dont think so!!!!
we have been 2 Dec 1st's and paid £300-£400 last night i found Dec 1st first 2 weeks for £169 per person![}:)]thats just typical that we're not going in december!!!
i dont like leaving it till the last minute,[msnembarrased]

anyway i have said to my friends why not go in 2007 and book it all now! the villa is booked (where we last stayed on Terra Verde, on our advise[msnembarrased][msnembarrased])
they are going to see the travel agents to see if they can offer anything at the weekend, (the trouble is its a mum and daughter who both work at the same school and the children go there too, ) i feel so sorry for them the only bonus is that they havent told the two little girls as it was going to be a big surprise!!! at least they wont be disappointed!

Katys Grandad
17-11-2005, 11:50
Leisa

They could save a lot of money by adjusting their dates. Going on 2 April instead of 1st could save nearly £300 for 4 people. Of course they would have 13 days insted of 14 but it might be worth the saving. Have a look at Air France and Alitalia.

I hear what you say about no flexibility but going 2 - 16 April could save even more.

LiesaAnna
17-11-2005, 12:06
we have tried them, we got one last night for £255+tax, flying with northwest airlines, and another similar with air france, but they hadnt been updated since may!!! and ho ho ho of course no flights the cheapest one is £700+ very annoying, such a shame as they look after our kids!! the wife wont budge on dates i'm afraid, hubby would like to but as i said earlier they have had two biggie hols over the last two years which took them out during term time, (las vegas, and a cruise) may just have to be patient on this one!!

Katys Grandad
17-11-2005, 14:00
Yes I see, it looks like they will struggle to get anything close to reasonable without any flexibility. I've just checked availability on several airlines and it's not looking good! I suspect that Easter saturday is 1 of the really premium dates for the airlines who have no need to discount.

LiesaAnna
17-11-2005, 14:24
we've tried playing with some dates so they go a day earlier, try going for a week, but a week isnt worth it, such a shame, maybe they should judt plan now for 2007,
let this be a lesson to others, its never too early to book your holiday to florida!!![msnwink]

Ana
17-11-2005, 14:55
Liesa, When I book late I just look for a flight to New York and book my own internal flights from there usually with (Jetblue or Song) We did this last Easter and saved a lot of money :D

LiesaAnna
17-11-2005, 15:30
they dont want to do a split flight my friend hates flying, let alone doing it twice!!!

wrpac00
17-11-2005, 15:56
As I said having had the problem for 28 years we book the flights on the first day they are avaialble.

Ana
17-11-2005, 16:05
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by LiesaAnna
they dont want to do a split flight my friend hates flying, let alone doing it twice!!!
[/quote]
That a shame - it restricts their choice greatly [msnsad]

Ray&Sarah
17-11-2005, 20:24
Keep on trying Liesa you never know your luck.[msnsmile2]

Katys Grandad
17-11-2005, 20:37
Have you looked at flying into Miami or Tampa?

LiesaAnna
17-11-2005, 21:00
next step, looking at tampa, finers crossed, altho we are trying one other at the moment someone sent me,[msnwink]

marion
17-11-2005, 21:31
I have a family who book's with us every summer and they find it very difficult
to get a flights during the school holiday.
this year they took the children out of school 2 days early with permission of
the school and took a mid week flight and doing that they found there were more
flights available.

Taking a flight that has a stop is not really that bad we have booked a flight
that stops in Cincinnati we do all our emigration there and the next part of the
flight is easy because when we get to FL we just pick up out luggage and go:)

sundowner
17-11-2005, 21:51
I am always put off changing at airports, as I always believe that one or the other plane is going to be cancelled, late etc.

By the way Leisa, where on earth did you find those flights so cheap ?? Hubby was just telling me today that he hopes his contract will end at beg Dec - so who knows, we may decide to jet off.

LiesaAnna
18-11-2005, 00:02
virgin atlantic mary, without using flyer points

sundowner
18-11-2005, 00:26
Thanks Leisa, will have to look into that one.

LiesaAnna
18-11-2005, 00:34
looks like its the first week or so Mary, i have played with the dates and i see 1st to the 7th £568 for two people including taxes

neild292
18-11-2005, 01:58
Try moving your booking so it is a few days before the children break up - you will be amazed what a difference it makes

Kazzie
18-11-2005, 04:17
We must have really dropped lucky last Easter as we only booked about 14 nights before and managed to get flights for 2 weeks from Manchester for £289 and they were direct flights to Sanford.

Karen

carynwillson
18-11-2005, 10:02
Karen you were extremely lucky, who did you fly with? We always fly midweek, the flights are so much cheaper and more are available, I know it means moving everything, taking children out of school for an extra day or to, but it does mean we arrive back a couple of days earlier to give them time to adjust. We also will split the flights, by going to New York and flying Delta Song down to Orlando, your friend should not be worried about the Song flight, I am not a keen flyer, but I am running to get on this plane, with its satellite tv, inflight quiz and such happy friendly staff.

Sally D
18-11-2005, 11:05
We went at easter last year, didn't think how much the flights would be and was shocked when we started looking. We were able to mess around with the dates and saved a fair bit by flying out on good friday. We did book 11 months before and everytime we looked after to see how much they were they had gone up each time.

LiesaAnna
18-11-2005, 11:38
Karen, you were very lucky!! you try it now!!
as i said before tho, my friend really doesnt like flying, its really not an option to break the flight into two stages, he says he cant do another flight in the same day!(thanks but he really cant) we had suggested this to him,
we have also said to our friend (i do feel responsable for this, we sang the praises of where we stayed so much that they booked the same villa!!!! [msneek]we were really happy, but just didnt realise there would be so much trouble getting flights for then!!, will just add, we are being offered business class!
have tried looking at dates either side, but there isnt much option there either. most for breaking the flight, no chance and secondly business class no chance, i think it looks like they will be moving it to 2007?[msnsad]

dawn thirkill
24-11-2005, 04:22
Hi

Scanning through the post I realise your friends may not wish to break the flights but just for your information and for those that have also been looking, we are still getting availability for dates of the 1st - 15th april 2006 and a day either way from heathrow indirect 1 change, flights with United airlines, it is indirect I am afraid but the prices very good for the peak travel dates and would be £329 per adult and £229 per child all plus tax of £69 per person.

Dawn

LiesaAnna
24-11-2005, 11:23
Blimey Dawn thats brilliant!!! i have just called them to say, and she is going to have a word again with her hubby! i know they would dearly love to take their daughter/hubby and grandchildren to florida! luckily they were going to surprise the kiddies so theyre not disappointed if they cant go! but the lady is very excited, you watch they will say yes and the flights be all gone!!

Val
24-11-2005, 19:19
Try United via Washington. We have used this loads of times and never had a problem, I have even done it on my own and always had a good price.

LiesaAnna
24-11-2005, 19:20
thanks Val

TINAPETERS
24-11-2005, 20:45
Hi Liesa

If they can't manage Easter, maybe the could consider the May bank holiday instead.

LiesaAnna
24-11-2005, 21:14
but thats only a week? and we all know what a wrench it is to tear ourselves away after 2 weeks!! 1 week would be cruel!!!

neild292
25-11-2005, 02:40
It is difficult at Easter; try flying out a bit earlier if you can

LiesaAnna
25-11-2005, 02:46
its for some very dear friends of ours who were hoping to stay at Terra Verde in the villa we stayed at in sept/oct, as a surprise for their grandchildren, so now will probably take them in Easter 2007 but shes looking into the offer above for indirect flights, even tho her hubby is against it

davy woods
25-11-2005, 12:07
Try looking at charter flights to sandford with the likes of mytravel, thomas cook and dare I say it Travel city, all flights are direct. Good luck
Dave

LiesaAnna
25-11-2005, 12:23
thanks Dave will hava another look

Pluto
25-11-2005, 18:21
Leisa

I know how frustrating it is trying to find flights. I have just tried booking flights for October next year and have had difficulty finding anything. I wanted to fly on 14 October but can't get any flights with Virgin unless I go Uppper Class - I couldnt quite stretch to the £3000 they wanted for 2 seats. Flying the next day was an option on Virgin at a cost of £800 per person!. We only arranged the trip a month ago and I was waiting until this Saturday to book because that is when the return flights are booked.

Anyway thanks to Charter Travel I have now booked flights into Sanford with Britannia. Not the best of flights I know, but I just see it as a means of getting to Orlando.

At the end of the day I would rather be in Florida than at home and the money saved can be spent while on holiday.

LiesaAnna
25-11-2005, 18:23
oh yes i definately agree with you Karen!!!! havent heard anymore from my friends about whether her hubby will do a stop over, but i suspect not, he really really hates flying! it makes him physically ill! his head etc hurts like mad!

ned27855
25-11-2005, 20:04
I know this is of no use to you but we have booked March 24 to March 31 with Thomson to Sanford and we have got the flights for £219 each.
After 1 April the prices double.

Tracey
25-11-2005, 20:05
Karen, if you don't mind me asking what price were your flights for next October as we want the same dates as you?

LiesaAnna
25-11-2005, 20:09
nice prices

dawn thirkill
25-11-2005, 20:34
Hi

The Oct fares direct nonstop Virgin start from £520 per adult inx tax, BA would be £554 inc tax per adult and child reductions of course would apply to both, Virgin do have availability on the 12th oct or the 15th oct outbound/BA can only offer the 15th oct but gatwick to tampa...Virgin cancelled the VS 49 on the 14th oct which is why the flights have been blocked in the economy cabins...Fares with much more availability on Virgin would be £620 inc tax per adult, again child reductions.

The easter flights we are still getting 1st april at the £329 plus £69 tax fares, charter flights direct to sanford are much higher at £579 per person inc tax, we do have Virgin direct on the 5th april but the fares are £679 per adult inc tax.

Dawn

dawn thirkill
25-11-2005, 20:36
Ohh forgot to mention we are now booking flights Virgin easter 2007, cut off date would be 23rd march from low to peak travel prices.

dawn

LiesaAnna
25-11-2005, 20:47
have sent info through to you Dawn, hoping its not to late as they are about to change the booking to the following year!!
thankyou at charter for all your help!!!