PDA

View Full Version : Check In

Lyn
17-11-2005, 01:04
Can anyone tell me what are the advantages of checking in for your flight on the internet. Surely you still have to stand inline to get your cases checked in? We have flights booked that you can check in up to 24 hours before the flight and print of your boarding card - how does this all work!

steph_goodrum
17-11-2005, 01:33
Lyn
If you checkin online (at least with Virgin) then you just go to the DIY bag drop (the queues have always been much shorter than general checkin when we've been) and they give you your boarding pass, I know a lot of the US airlines now let you print your own boarding pass so saves a bit more time at the desk.

When you checkin online your passport nos, frequent flyer nos etc will all be put in so its a little less work for the checkin staff.

Jill
17-11-2005, 02:20
A huge advantage is if you have checked in on line then you know you definitely have a seat on the plane. We always check in on line if possible and as Steph says the queue is normally shorter to drop the bags off as there is less for the staff to do.

becbecs
17-11-2005, 12:32
We did DIY Check-in this year with Virgin, so simple, put in your details on the web. Arrive at the airport and look at everybody elses face in the queue waiting to check in as you walk dont the DIY Bag Drop lane, drop the cases off pick up the boading cards, and away you go 2-3 mins tops. We were the only ones at the DIY desk at Manchester so it was very quick.

Also did the Virgin check-in at Downtown Disney on our return. You don't even have to take your cases to the Airport here, Virgin do it all for you [clap][clap]

Brilliant Service

CERICROWLEY
17-11-2005, 13:29
Lyn

If you booked with continental. you can't print your boarding pass, as your passport has to be checked. Alhtough they do give you option to check in on line 24 hours before. We did do that and used the electronic machine to verify our passports. you still have to queue.

Matt
17-11-2005, 20:08
A word of warning for OLCI in Orlando.... we flew back on Sunday and used online check-in Sunday morning. We stood at the bag drop line for over an hour waiting for boarding passes (stressed me out even more as I was Upper Class and checked in at the airport within 2 mins but then had to wait for the rest of the party).

Even worse, we were waiting an hour for one party in front of us to be checked in (there were 10 of them).

New Virgin staff in US now and the service at Orlando has gone from one of the best in the Virgin network to the worst (no longer Virgin staff but sub contractor - Swissport).

The economy line was moving faster.

Matt

chris c
17-11-2005, 20:14
Have done the online check-in twice now and think it is great. As others have said, you miss the queues.
Have only managed to do it from the U.K. though, not on the return from the U.S., don't know why?
Anyone got any ideas, as I want to try again when we go out in January?

Lyn
18-11-2005, 13:49
Can you tell me, do you lose any chance of being upgraded if you check in online?

wrpac00
18-11-2005, 14:22
I don't think it pays to do the online check in if you fly with Virgin in PE or Upper Class. If you book in online you have no chance of getting upgraded and PE and Upper only have to book in 2 hours before and you have to be at the gate 1 hr before hand and you need time to look around duty free [msnwink]

steph_goodrum
18-11-2005, 14:35
Christine
We've checked in online 3 times from US for our trips back without any problem, the return leg is even easier than the outward as it has all the passport details in. It's great checking in at the villa rather than stood in a queue.

As far as upgrades go, whilst we always appreciate them when they have been given, we don't do anything to try and get them and as far as we are concerned would rather confirm that we have what we have paid for i.e. a seat on the plane, would rather do that and anything else is a bonus.

chris c
18-11-2005, 15:34
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by steph_goodrum
Christine
We've checked in online 3 times from US for our trips back without any problem, the return leg is even easier than the outward as it has all the passport details in. It's great checking in at the villa rather than stood in a queue.

[/quote]

I don't know what I am doing wrong then.
I manage to get right to the end of entering the data (as you say, a lot of it is already there) and then it won't allow me to actually complete the booking in!
Will try again in January and see how it goes.