PDA

View Full Version : Finally Thinking Seriously about Moving!

jonandviv
16-11-2005, 01:24
Hello All,

We have been considering relocating to Florida from the UK for the last few years, and after weighing up the pro's and cons we are finally moving towards a position where we can seriously start thinking and planning for the move.

We are realistically looking at an E2 Visa, and we have started the process of looking for a viable business to purchase and operate, but we would really appreciate some advise from people who have already made the move.

I would like to get a clearer idea of the cost of living in Florida, in relation to Health Insurance, Dental, Car, Utilities and anything else that we will have to pay out for!!

Many Thanks

Jon and Viv
Leo and Abi

LiesaAnna
16-11-2005, 11:54
i cant offer any advise on this but i don wish you all the best with all you do!! it has been a dream of ours over the last 3-4 years but it wont come true we dont have a business of our own or the finacial backing needed, but am envious of those who do live their dreams!!!!
have a great time! all the very best!![clap][clap]

sundowner
16-11-2005, 12:07
Hello Jon and Viv, and welcome to our little family.

We are in the same boat at the moment, but trying not to jump in with both feet. Our biggest hurdle is what business to buy. What sort of business would you be looking at?

There are many, many people on the Forum that will be able to give some beneficial input. Maybe we will both learn something new!

CERICROWLEY
16-11-2005, 13:55
Jon & Viv

This is something you will have to think REALLY long and hard over. There are a lot of different aspects of going into an E2 visa. You need to contact a broker that can help you with both the visa and the business, and can give you a lot more information about what to expect with an E2.

We are currently reviewing figures of a business we have found and pursuing an L1a visa, which seemed to be best suited for us.

We have been looking for this opening for 3 years and has been a long hard struggle. We only wanted to a business that we were currently doing here in the UK, which is building and property maintenance work. These are very few and far between and when they do come up they are very expensive.

You need to find out what sort of business you want to start with, and secondly how much is going to cost you to buy this company, is it feesible.

I am just skimming over a few things, there are a lot more to think of.

Next, is the company going to be able to produce an income to support the pair of you. The embassy will not let in, if they feel that you can be afford to live there.

Antoher thing is you will have to renew your visa every 2 years and come back to the London US embassy for an interview.

Yes and another, you will have to produce business plans and projected sales and turnover to the embassy.

And one more, if you have any dependants, when they reach the age of 16 they will have to return to the UK or invest in their own business etc.

This is not an easy step. You need all the facts and figures first. I am not trying to put you off, but to give you some sound advice so that you are not stumbled at the first hurdle.

E2 visas require a lot work to get.

I do hope that you able to achieve your ambition of moving.

esprit
17-11-2005, 04:08
I came to live in Florida on E2 two and a half years ago. It is harder than it looks to find a good business and at the moment the embassy is clogged up with huge delays in visa processing, over a year in some cases ( I got mine in under 6 weeks). As you have to put the money to buy your business in escrow with a lawyer irrevocably commited to buy the business subject to E2 issue, this leaves people stranded with nowhere to live and sometimes no jobs for months on end and can be really disheartening. If you get the visa, you have to go through the same process at renewal and now 2 year visas seem to be the norm which isnt very long.

Here are some disadvantages of E2.
The biggest is it doesnt lead to green card. This means your kids can only stay with you till 18 or 21 if in further education and then have to return to the UK, often speaking with an American accent and with only American qualifications.
Then your visa is based on continued trade, profitablity and employment of Americans, so you are tied to your business, no retirement and if you are ill and unable to keep trading at the same level, you could face difficulties at renewal.
Many things available to green card holders are not available to you, no homestead exemption, no financial aid or scholarships for your kids at college, your driving license is issued only in 2 year stretches and no medicare even though you may have to pay into it.

In the Orlando area, particularly, it is difficult to buy a decent business at a decent price. When you close, you may be lucky and have bought a good business but it is not unheard of for the figures to be not quite what they first appeared, or for non compete clauses to be breached. Really all you buy is a start to build up from but it can be an expensive start.

The cost of living is much higher here than you would expect. Fast food, restaurant meals, consumer goods and clothes are lower priced than in the UK, as is petrol. Many many things are dearer. For example my property tax is over $8000 a year, my car insurance is over $4000 for two average cars, one with business use and with a teen who has been driving two years on it. Health insurance is $350 per month for three people with a $3500 excess. I recently had an accident and just paid my excess, then $5000, and $1500 for items for which the insurance would not pay. Dental is also very expensive. My husband was quoted $1100 for a root canal and a crown and that was on a dental plan with a discount, look at twice that otherwise. Food in the shops is at least as expensive as in the UK, I think it is dearer. Utlities well I pay at least %350 per month in electric. They say the minimum owner benefit for E2 should be $5000 a month. I would agree totally with that, you wont manage a decent lifestyle on any less.

Business is hard here and competitive, hard work and long hours, few holidays. Business insurance is expensive particularly the dreaded workers compensation insurance that is not only dear but hard to get in some industries. Business is also all tied up in bureaucracy with licenses for everything, it hems you in.

Would I do it again on E2. No I wouldnt. It is a visa with no future except more of the same but getting older and older until you cant do it any more. I would go for L1 as Ceri says or the employment route or not at all. That is not to say everyone is unhappy on it, I know people who are fine, especially the younger ones who dont have teenage kids, and no thoughts of retirement but eventually things catch up with you especially your kids. For example I know someone here for ten years with a son who is going on 17. He will not be on their next renewal yet is as American as apple pie. What then?
E2 is a second class existance and you have to come to terms with the fact that the hispanic picking oranges in the orange groves may have more chance of permanent residence and citizenship than you do and that is really hard. Ask yourself if you can accept that long term. If you are coming here to run a business just fo

Cruella DeVilla
21-11-2005, 19:31
Good luck with the proposed move, we are doing the same in the near future and I am sure it won't be a smooth ride!

Ray9
03-12-2005, 18:30
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by CERICROWLEY
You need to contact a broker that can help you with both the visa and the business,

Antoher thing is you will have to renew your visa every 2 years and come back to the London US embassy for an interview.

And one more, if you have any dependants, when they reach the age of 16 they will have to return to the UK or invest in their own business etc.

E2 visas require a lot work to get.
[/quote]

1... Thats about the last thing you want.. Realtors who think they are visa experts are a nightmare
2. In most cases its 2 years on the first issue then 5 years after that one
3. actually 18 or 21... depending on education status
4. An E.2 is far easier to get then an L-1

esprit
03-12-2005, 19:46
In todays climate, I am not sure I would agree with point 4, Ray. The E2 situation at the moment is in meltdown as you know.