PDA

View Full Version : Can you remember????

CarolAnn
15-11-2005, 16:58
Can you remember when....

All the girls had ugly gym uniforms?

It took five minutes for the TV warm up?

Nearly everyone's Mum was at home when the kids got home from school?

Nobody owned a pure bred dog?

You'd reach into a muddy gutter for a penny?

Your Mum wore stockings that came in two pieces?

All your male teachers wore ties and female teachers had
their hair done every day and wore high heels?

You got your windshield cleaned, oil checked, and petrol pumped,
without asking, all for free, every time?
And you didn't pay for air?

Cereals had free toys hidden inside the box?

It was considered a great privilege to be taken out to dinner
at a real restaurant with your parents?

They threatened to keep kids back a year if they failed. . .and they did?

When a 57 Holden was everyone's dream car?

No one ever asked where the car keys were
because they were always in the car,
in the ignition, and the doors were never locked?

Lying on your back in the grass with your friends
and saying things like, "That cloud looks like a . . ."

and playing footy with no adults to help kids with the rules of the game?

Stuff from the shop came without safety caps and hermetic seals
because no one had yet tried to poison a perfect stranger?

When being sent to the principal's office was nothing
compared to the fate that awaited the student at home?
But we survived because their love was greater than the threat.

Nancy Drew, Laurel and Hardy, The Famous Five
Secret Seven, Biggles,
the Lone Ranger, Phantom,
Roy and Dale and Trigger.

As well as summers filled with bike rides, cricket games,
Hula Hoops, monkey bars, visits to the beach and "conversation" lollies.

Didn't that feel good, just to go back and say, "Yeah, I remember that"?

I am sharing this with you today
because it ended with a double dare...
Do you remember what a double dare is, read on.
And remember that the perfect age is somewhere between
old enough to know better and too young to care.

How many of these do you remember?

Lolly cigarettes
Pogo sticks, marbles,
Home milk delivery in glass bottles with aluminium tops
Newsreels before the movie
Sandshoes

Telephone numbers with letter prefixes....(ABD 601).

45 RPM records
Hi-Fi's
Metal ice cubes trays with levers
Mimeograph paper
Cork pop guns
Drive ins
Valiants

Washtub wringers
Reel-To-Reel tape recorders
Houses made of cards
Mechano Sets

That awful pink slab of bubble gum(loved it!!)

Penny lollies

Do you remember a time when...

Decisions were made by going "eeny-meeny-miney-moe"?
It wasn't odd to have two or three "Best Friends"?

Saturday morning cartoons weren't 30-minute commercials for action figures?
Spinning around, getting dizzy, and falling down was cause for giggles?
The worst embarrassment was being picked last for a team?

Playing cards in the spokes transformed any bike into a motorcycle?
If you can remember most or all of these, then you have lived!!!!!!!

Share this with anyone who may need a break from
their "grown-up" life . . . I double-dare-ya!

LiesaAnna
15-11-2005, 17:14
i love these sort of memories!! does anyone remember playing 44 save all, or best fallers? where you had to say what you were going to be killed by, if you said machine gun, you had to pretend you were being shot by one, or anything like that, seems a bit morbid these days but lots of war talk around in them days,
rock scissors or paper, we would play that for ages, building camps in the woods, wouldnt dream of playing in the woodds these days without parents!!

sundowner
15-11-2005, 17:54
Skipping, hop-scotch and two ball.

Playing with dolls in prams at 12 year old - nowadays a lot of kids seem to be having REAL ones soon after that age.

Ah the good old days. When the days were always red hot in summer and we had 3ft of snow in the winter. At least that's how I remember it, it never ever rained and we never ever had sludge to walk through.

Fletch
15-11-2005, 18:03
OK - you've really got me going on this one!

Here's a few of my memories:

Favourite Comic/Magazine: FAB 208 and Jackie

Favourite sweets: sherbert pips, sherbert fountains, "spanish", Spangles, Fab 208 ice lolly.

Favourite toy: Sindy doll, "Tressy" Doll "Clackers" - banned from the playground due to several wrist injuries!

Favourite meeting place: Wimpy bar (more character than MacDonalds any day!)

Favourite shop - Biba

Favourite clothes (teenager) - afghan coat,
smocks, flared trousers.

Favourite bands - Abba, Fleetwood Mac, Wings, T Rex, Slade

Favourite TV programmes - The Virginian, The Big Valley, Land of the Giants, Little House on the Prairie, Lost in Space, Bewitched Thunderbirds/Stingray/Joe 90

Guess I've given my age away then!

Any other nostalgia fans might like to check out these two websites:

http://www.nostalgiacentral.com/

http://www.whirligig-tv.co.uk/

PS For any fellow Bewitched fans - brilliant website - http://www.bewitched.net/.

PS Liesa - I remember rock, scissors, paper but not the others you mentioned.

CarolAnn
15-11-2005, 19:30
BTW, I am only 23[msnwink]:D[msnwink]

Ray&Sarah
15-11-2005, 20:33
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by CarolAnn
BTW, I am only 23[msnwink]:D[msnwink]
[/quote]

You're never that old are you Carol, 23!

Love the walk down memory lane.[msnsmile]

LiesaAnna
15-11-2005, 22:12
i remember the Tressy doll, where her hair pulled up through the muddle and then you wound the arm up and down till it went short again!

sherbit pips, were great as were puffs crisps we used to eat them in the back of the class,
i had a beautiful dolls pram and loved my dolls (still have them in the loft) i was evening washing and ironing their clothes when my friends came to call for me when i was 14,[msnembarrased] but its what we did then!!

emm
16-11-2005, 00:02
What about listening to Radio Luxemboug at night, under the covers so that mum and dad didn't know, on your little transistor radio. Probably using the ear piece that had its own little pouch that was attached to the radio's leather case.

LiesaAnna
16-11-2005, 00:22
i love being taken back to my childhood, wish i appreciated it more when i had it!:(

Paula D-S
16-11-2005, 01:07
Following on from Fletch here goes

Fave comic...Bunty and Mandy (still get these for my daughter for Christmas)[msnwink]

Fave sweets...always been a chocolate lover but also loved cola cubes I would suck these till the roof of my mouth was raw

Fave toy...Girls world

Meeting place...church hall disco D I S C O

Fave shop...Chelsea Girl

Fave clothes...stretch jeans and a denim waist coat to match (80s) and ra ra skirts

Fave group...UB40 although as I've gotten a bit older I am very partial to the boy bands of today (can't wait for take that tomorrow)

Fave TV...Famous Five and Jackanory when Rik Mayall read Georges Marvellous Medicine

LiesaAnna
16-11-2005, 01:09
i was going to say Chelsea girl!!! i almost lived in there when i worked down in worthing in 1978, only a little one, but hey i was earning my own money!!

Ray&Sarah
16-11-2005, 02:44
I loved little house on the Prairie too, was always going to call a daughter "Laura" after Laura Ingles. Had two boys thouugh and didn't think they would appreciate it.:D

DiannaUK
16-11-2005, 03:38
I remember the days when a portable record player was the size of a family suitcase.

And the flower power fashions when we used to walk around with cow bells around our necks (no wise cracks please!).

And the agonising decision you had to make at the sweetshop between spending your whole 6pence (old money) pocket money on a Mars bar or a bag of mixed sweets.

And the days of having to hold your handbag behind you when going up the escalators because you were wearing stockings and suspenders instead of tights (which were not on common sale then).

And does anyone remember when the film Bonnie & Clyde came out and it was the fashion to wear blouses with frilly necks and wrists (and that was just the geezers) and berets and mid-calve skirts.

But the most interesting thing of all is watching my daughter swan about in fashions that she thinks of as cutting edge, but knowing that I was wearing exactly the same thing at her age - what goes around, goes around again!

Those were the days. You know you're growing old when you start to choose your knickers for comfort rather than for show!

Dianna

LiesaAnna
16-11-2005, 11:49
Dianna you do make me laugh!!!

anyone remember the pink panther choc bar, pink choc, i loved that! 2p:D
2oz of sherbert different coloured ones, and you could ask for them to be put in the same bag if you wanted an ounce of one and an ounce of another colour added to it cor an i wonder why im fat![msnsad]

Ray&Sarah
16-11-2005, 12:20
Its just not the same now that the don't weigh out a 1/4 or 1/2 from large jars behind the counter.[msnsmile2]

CarolAnn
16-11-2005, 19:02
Funny you mention that Sarah, but when I used to trudge into London everyday, there was a flower stall at our station, and after a few years he started selling sweets from the jar (yes I stopped, often!!) But, last year, he opened a small "old Fashioned" sweet shop in Newport Pagnell,close by, extending his enterprise from the station stall!! He is VERY successful I might add:)
And....my 13 year old tells me, she and her friends are really into 80's music now too[msntongue] I have some of that on LP's still:DDoh!! I am over 23.....[msnoo]

mizzy
16-11-2005, 19:57
Paula is obviuosly the same age as me

i loved cola cubes and you can still get them Paula but my favourite was sweet peanuts and our local shop sells these too although they dont taste as good as they did all those years ago

and of course i have to mention my favourite Tudor smoky bacon crisps

on the fashion side i had a ra ra skirt and also a puffball skirt[msnembarrased]

my first record that i ever owned was duran durans "rio"

and i had a big crush on the lead singer from a-ha[msnembarrased][msnembarrased]

aaargh i'm feeling old was 1985 really 20 years ago ?

Mizzy

Paula D-S
16-11-2005, 20:02
Mizzy we are the same age, my first record was Sunday Girl by Blondie, I didn't do "boy bands" then, but, I love them now. Can't wait for Take That tonight and I got tickets today to see Robbie in Dublin and I can't tell you how excited I am in fact I feel happier than when I won a million on the lottery[msnwink]

ravtino
16-11-2005, 20:18
Goodness me its like the good ole days!!!!!Would you really want to go back[msnwink]

Ray&Sarah
16-11-2005, 20:39
Now that was a boring show "The Good Ole Days". Maybe I was just too young to appreciate it at the time though.[msnsmile]

LiesaAnna
17-11-2005, 03:24
1985 i had my fourth child!! whose now 20 and made me a nanny twice over the last 3 years!!!

Ray&Sarah
17-11-2005, 03:29
1985 was the year that I got engaged.[msnsmile]

CarolAnn
20-11-2005, 21:12
1985 was the year I met the man of my dreams:)Arrrr...but sadly...I was still married to the first one[msneek][msneek][msncry]

Ray&Sarah
20-11-2005, 23:08
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by CarolAnn
1985 was the year I met the man of my dreams:)Arrrr...but sadly...I was still married to the first one[msneek][msneek][msncry]
[/quote]

LOL Carol![msnwink]:D

Cruella DeVilla
21-11-2005, 19:33
The Famous Five, lashings of ginger beer, brings back memories!

Ray&Sarah
21-11-2005, 19:49
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Cruella DeVilla
[/quote]

Oh yes loved these books.:D

Fletch
22-11-2005, 21:08
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Cruella DeVilla
[/quote]

I loved the Mallory Towers books, and the Chalet School.